Most Overrated Band and/or Musician

Lorraine

O my days guys chiiiiilll

We all have different ways of seeing things, and we each have a right to an opinion.

And for that matter, I once again announce that I find Zappa overrated.

But I will always play anything anyone ever suggests

chill? what's the point of this thread if we can't make fun of people for their dumb opinions?

led's post is great because it confirmed what I long suspected - besides counting crows, hootie and pearl jam, the only bands ledrush likes are in his username.

Counting Crows! Oh, how I hated them...

Hootie never bothered me.

Spin Doctors!

And the previously mentioned Bush.

The most overrated? Green Day!

• Like 2

We all have different ways of seeing things, and we each have a right to an opinion.

chill? what's the point of this thread if we can't make fun of people for their dumb opinions?

led's post is great because it confirmed what I long suspected - besides counting crows, hootie and pearl jam, the only bands ledrush likes are in his username.

"Hootie" made me literally laugh out loud.

I've said it before. You are a funny f*cker, bathory.

• Like 2

I would go with:

Rolling Stones (probably the most overrated band in history)

The Beatles (2 great albums, many great pop songs, and a shitload of filler)

Elvis

The Beach Boys

Radiohead

The Police

Any punk band

The Velvet Underground

Talking Heads

Any modern heavy metal band

Elvis Costello

Patti Smith

Frank Zappa

The Eagles

John Lennon

You have several bands on there that are about as close to a consensus "properly rated" as one could imagine someone compiling.

Consensus meaning someone at a mainstream music publication? In order for someone to think that a band is overrated, wouldn't there have to be some people or subset of people which generally agree on a rating that you disagree with?

Consensus pretty much across the board. Most of the bands you listed were both critically and commercially successful. Alot of the bands you listed have longevity and their popularity survived many trends and fads. A lot of the bands you listed pushed the envelope artisically, expanding on how music is created and marketed and listened to.Many of the bands you listed crossed genres and appealed to differenct audiences and demographics. All of this can be looked at objectively. I'm not an Eagles fan, but I know how successful they are and I know they contributed to music in many significant ways.

Hard to overrate a band that has one of top selling albums ever. Oversold? Maybe.

Seriously? That makes it much easier. Over rated doesn't mean not excellent.

If an "excellent" band can be "overrated" you need to put down the semantics pipe.

Why on earth would you not consider an excellent band overrated if people rate them far higher than you would? Do you think so few bands are excellent?

Agree with you.

If an album sells forty million, and for the life of you you just cannot understand why, then sure: you have a right to think it overrated.

I, for one, really like Journey! But my goodness, the way they are revered and loved by so many whilst other bands of the era become more and more lost with time, leaves me confused. They released amazing singles, but very patchy albums. Millions of people Disagree, which is why, from my perspective, they are overrated.

Despite one year of Grammy wins, I regard Toto as a sorely underrated band. Albums like Isolation, Fahrenheit, The Seventh One and Tambu are ridiculously great examples of AOR and should have sold by the truck load. All flopped. Underrated.

His list includes bands that a) sold a lot of records, b) received a tremendous amount of critical praise for their body work c) are routinely cited by a wide spectrum of professional musicians as one of their favorite bands or biggest influences and d) are ordinarily perceived as having changed the music industry in some way. Again, that's why I said he has bands on there that are pretty close to being "consensus" properly highly rated.

Which, of course, makes them the easiest to consider over-rated.

Only if you don't happen to like them much.

Or if you like them, but like a bunch of other bands and artists more.

I would go with:

Rolling Stones (probably the most overrated band in history)

The Beatles (2 great albums, many great pop songs, and a shitload of filler)

Elvis

The Beach Boys

Radiohead

The Police

Any punk band

The Velvet Underground

Talking Heads

Any modern heavy metal band

Elvis Costello

Patti Smith

Frank Zappa

The Eagles

John Lennon

You have several bands on there that are about as close to a consensus "properly rated" as one could imagine someone compiling.

Consensus meaning someone at a mainstream music publication? In order for someone to think that a band is overrated, wouldn't there have to be some people or subset of people which generally agree on a rating that you disagree with?

Consensus pretty much across the board. Most of the bands you listed were both critically and commercially successful. Alot of the bands you listed have longevity and their popularity survived many trends and fads. A lot of the bands you listed pushed the envelope artisically, expanding on how music is created and marketed and listened to.Many of the bands you listed crossed genres and appealed to differenct audiences and demographics. All of this can be looked at objectively. I'm not an Eagles fan, but I know how successful they are and I know they contributed to music in many significant ways.

Hard to overrate a band that has one of top selling albums ever. Oversold? Maybe.

Seriously? That makes it much easier. Over rated doesn't mean not excellent.

If an "excellent" band can be "overrated" you need to put down the semantics pipe.

Why on earth would you not consider an excellent band overrated if people rate them far higher than you would?

Now you get why I listed Jimmy Page. :)

I said, "GOOD DAY!"

• Like 2

I listed these guys already but i have to state......again......having tried again this morning......Tool. why? just......why? i can't even make it through i single album.

Ah music huh?

Music

They're great mood music for me. They never caught on, but they are very talented.

• Like 1

You forgot Bonnie Tyler, bright eyes.

Red is bright, right?

• Like 1

Ok I'll play along.

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/af083167-fc51-470a-8a20-5b3693b76e78/d491d097-cd0d-4c07-8a31-d007987666dd.jpg

• Like 1

No one ever minces their words around here...but when I SPEAK MY MIND!

O well.

it's ok Segue......hey i don't care if you loath Zappa. I was just i was defending my guy, lol

i really don't care if you never come around.......i get it, lol

Stay Segue-y, lol

Mick

Sorry Segue but it's not just you. Mick sometimes takes a beating when he speaks his mind too. And so do tons of others. You should've seen the scolding I got several years ago in Video Vertigo from a hardcore Batman fan when I said I enjoyed Jack Nicholson as Joker in the '89 film. You would've thought I took a leak on all of his Rush albums or something. :)

i loved Jack's Joker too. HE'S...MY NUMBER 1......GUY!!!!!!!!!

Mick

:haz:
  • Like 1

Ozzy Osbourne and Jim Morrison. I love the bands they were in, but they didn't contribute to the success of those bands nearly as much as their reputations suggest.

:eh: You're saying the Doors would have had the same success without Jim? :unsure:

Ozzy Osbourne and Jim Morrison. I love the bands they were in, but they didn't contribute to the success of those bands nearly as much as their reputations suggest.

:eh: You're saying the Doors would have had the same success without Jim? :unsure:

Not at all. Obviously his charisma contributed and defined the Doors. But, I really don't think it would have worked without the three talented musicians containing his pseudo-artistic "endeavors". His "poetry" is as pretentious as pretentious can be.

Not at all. Obviously his charisma contributed and defined the Doors. But, I really don't think it would have worked without the three talented musicians containing his pseudo-artistic "endeavors". His "poetry" is as pretentious as pretentious can be.

This makes no sense. He was in a band for a reason, and all four worked magic in the studio. Minus Jim, The Doors sucked on the last two albums.

They all needed each other for the right chemistry.

• Like 1

This makes no sense. He was in a band for a reason, and all four worked magic in the studio. Minus Jim, The Doors sucked on the last two albums.

You state my post makes no sense and then repeat my point. Jim without the Doors sucks. The Doors without Jim sucks. Hence, I think Jim Morrison is overrated.

Edited by ReRushed

You state my post makes no sense and then repeat my point. Jim without the Doors sucks. The Doors without Jim sucks. Hence, I think Jim Morrison is overrated.

But he wasn't Jim Morrison solo. He was in The Doors. You cannot single just one band member out when they all sucked when not together.

But he wasn't Jim Morrison solo. He was in The Doors. You cannot single just one band member out when they all sucked when not together.

Of course I can.

• Like 1

Of course I can.

True.

Its just to my mind The Doors minus Morrison sucked more than I could ever imagine Morrison minus The Doors.

Not saying you are wrong I just never looked at it this way!

I love the band myself but that has no bearing on how I view your opinion.

Jim Morrison had a beautiful voice. Geddy should've been as lucky.

Agreed. He might have been a dislikeable person, but how many great artists throughout history were actually true gentleman?

Jim Morrison had a beautiful voice. Geddy should've been as lucky.

Why should have Geddy been as lucky? Would "Hemispheres" improve with Jim Morrison's crooning? Harry Nilsson had a beautiful voice. Jim Morrison should have been as lucky.

• Like 1