Earthshine vocals question

x1yyz

I've got a question about Earthshine, and I'm hoping that someone who knows about the technical side of music can answer this.

The vocals in this song have a particular sort of tension, and I think that is exactly what makes the song so powerful. But what is causing that tension? Is it the key in which it's being sung? The way Geddy is singing it? Something else? Does anyone know?

• Like 1

I've got a question about Earthshine, and I'm hoping that someone who knows about the technical side of music can answer this.

The vocals in this song have a particular sort of tension, and I think that is exactly what makes the song so powerful. But what is causing that tension? Is it the key in which it's being sung? The way Geddy is singing it? Something else? Does anyone know?

Which part are you talking about? Like, in the verses for example "of earthly luminescence"?

• Like 1

Which part are you talking about? Like, in the verses for example "of earthly luminescence"?

Pretty much the whole song, but yeah, that phrase in particular. And the "doo dooo dooo" parts as well.

• Like 1

It's called "urgency". He's singing with a sense of urgency, much like the the chorus of "Sweet Miracle".

http://spendomai.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/5736903.jpg

• Like 2

It's called "urgency". He's singing with a sense of urgency, much like the the chorus of "Sweet Miracle". Effects aside, it's that simple.

You mean like he can't wait till it's over?... ;)
  • Like 6

It's called "urgency". He's singing with a sense of urgency, much like the the chorus of "Sweet Miracle". Effects aside, it's that simple.

Emotion, as in he really means what the hell he's singing about.
  • Like 2

Like my new sig?

:moon: :moon: :moon:

• Like 8

That's really what I like about VT in general. They mean it. As opposed to the pre-tragedy T4E which comes across to me as mailing it in.
  • Like 6

fart1.jpg?w=720

• Like 8

That's really what I like about VT in general. They mean it. As opposed to the pre-tragedy T4E which comes across to me as mailing it in.

Yep...some decent material is there, but lacks urgency. And that's what makes music so powerful
  • Like 1

SIEZE HIM!!!

• Like 1

Appreciate the explaination guys... :cheers:

Narpadiddleywack, Earthshine is one of Rush's best songs ever. Start talking badly about it and we'll have to take you out back.

;)

• Like 5

Narpadiddleywack, Earthshine is one of Rush's best songs ever. Start talking badly about it and we'll have to take you out back.

;)

He needs a bit of this:

dadnospank.jpg?w=594&h=486

• Like 2

;)

He needs a bit of this:

It's like Rushgoober is still here in spirit
  • Like 2

;)

He needs a bit of this:

is this good or bad?

;)

He needs a bit of this:

is this good or bad?

Neverland Ranch was never the same
  • Like 3

Someone mention Earthshine? I'm just here as the unofficial ambassador for this modern day epic song...yeah, I said it!

http://thewowstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/i-love-you-quotes.jpg

• Like 1