I Think Genesis Is Way Better Than RUSH!

RUSHHEAD666

Prog rock, like all genres of Rock music has pretentious aspects. And Gabriel-era Genesis has it in spades. I like Genesis and when I watch a video of Peter Gabriel prancing around the stage dressed as a flower and talking nonsense, I call it out. The music is still good, but the overall package is pretentious. I feel the same way about Glam rock, Punk rock, New Wave, Hair Metal... the list goes on.

Also, I think a lot of Prog rock is too "intellectual" and "complicated" for its own good.

Oh yeah, I do think some of Bob Dylan's lyrics are pretentious and overboard on wordplay. It's a device he uses far too much, especially on a lot of his early material (John Lennon parodied it quite well on his home recordings). As for Lou Reed, well, sometimes he can simply be a prick.

If I'm going to call out the likes of Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus, I'm going to call out Peter Gabriel and David Bowie, too.

I just don't think that we as listeners can really say whether an artist is pretentious or not. but as long as you're fair about it and willing to call out everyone, I'm fine with your use of the word. it just seems like most people only use the term to describe prog rock, only because someone else called it pretentious and then someone else did and then someone else did until it just became rock n roll law.

I definitely think prog can be up its own ass and overly complicated, I still wouldn't call it pretentious. I hear a shitty dream theater record and I don't doubt their sincerity one bit - they are being sincerely shitty. :)

• Like 1

Prog rock, like all genres of Rock music has pretentious aspects. And Gabriel-era Genesis has it in spades. I like Genesis and when I watch a video of Peter Gabriel prancing around the stage dressed as a flower and talking nonsense, I call it out. The music is still good, but the overall package is pretentious. I feel the same way about Glam rock, Punk rock, New Wave, Hair Metal... the list goes on.

Also, I think a lot of Prog rock is too "intellectual" and "complicated" for its own good.

Oh yeah, I do think some of Bob Dylan's lyrics are pretentious and overboard on wordplay. It's a device he uses far too much, especially on a lot of his early material (John Lennon parodied it quite well on his home recordings). As for Lou Reed, well, sometimes he can simply be a prick.

If I'm going to call out the likes of Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus, I'm going to call out Peter Gabriel and David Bowie, too.

I just don't think that we as listeners can really say whether an artist is pretentious or not. but as long as you're fair about it and willing to call out everyone, I'm fine with your use of the word. it just seems like most people only use the term to describe prog rock, only because someone else called it pretentious and then someone else did and then someone else did until it just became rock n roll law.

I definitely think prog can be up its own ass and overly complicated, I still wouldn't call it pretentious. I hear a shitty dream theater record and I don't doubt their sincerity one bit - they are being sincerely shitty. :)

Don't get me started on Dream Theater!

• Like 1

Don't get me started on Dream Theater!

HAHAHAHAHA!! Oh yes!! PLEASE DO GET STARTED!!!! If you don't start then I will have Mike Portnoy spit on you!!!

I've been listening to all MK versions of Genesis for two weeks. I can't get enough.

I think this band is better than Rush. Phil has a bad back and tendonitis. Neil has chronic tendonitis.

It's so sad but that's life!!

I think the Genesis Canon is better than the Rush Canon.

Hell I think "Calling All Stations" is a fuckking masterpiece. "Cockwork Anals" is not.

Love,

The "DUKE" Of Earl

It's okay to be wrong.

I've been listening to all MK versions of Genesis for two weeks. I can't get enough.

I think this band is better than Rush. Phil has a bad back and tendonitis. Neil has chronic tendonitis.

Hell I think "Calling All Stations" is a fuckking masterpiece. "Cockwork Anals" is not.

Love,

The "DUKE" Of Earl

It's okay to be wrong.

I was born to be wrong.

Of course Rush is better. I just love fuckking with everyone.

Just gave Lamb a listen and man, is it amazing. Just a brilliant effort from Genesis, with a tremendous range of music seamlessly woven together. :notworthy:
  • Like 1

When it comes to music RUSHHEAD666 is a kid in a candy store. He doesn't know where to turn next because he's overwhelmed with excitement at all the goodies to choose from.

HAHAHA! I'm sorry I missed your post buddy. Glad Goose brought it back up to the top. Damn you know me so well.

Your post says it all!!!

YOU ROCK!

Just gave Lamb a listen and man, is it amazing. Just a brilliant effort from Genesis, with a tremendous range of music seamlessly woven together. :notworthy:

Goose! You have also written a wonderful post!! YOU NAILED IT!

I still can't believe "Lamb" is not on iTunes!

• Like 1

I could listen to Phil Collins "Everyday". ♪♪

He has a remarkable voice. Anyone that can drive me to love the soundtrack of Disney's Tarzan has something special. :LOL:

Love,

The "DUKE" Of Earl

Look me in the eye son... are you on drugs?

Love,

The "DUKE" Of Earl

Look me in the eye son... are you on drugs?

Hahaha! My only drug is beer.

Again.

I'm fuckking with you all.

Van Halen is better than Genesis. Rush is better than every band on the planet.

Although "Testicle For Your Echo" and "Vapor Ass Snail Trails" are two of the worst records ever made!

"YOU'RE NO SON YOU'RE NO SON OF MINE!"

Is this the stupidest topic ever - Genesis better than Rush? Really!

Surely you could put the best of Genesis on a 7" single.

That is just simply ridiculous.

"Supper's Ready!" Time to eat your fried chicken, mashed potatoes and shit corn on the cob from KFC.

I'm a retard. I know nothing about music.

I'm as stupid as stupid gets.

Progressive rock is something I know nothing about.

My wife is leaving me because I know nothing about Rush.

She is leaving me because I don't know anything about a band named Rush.

Rush is just a term to me. Moving fast. Snorting cocaine and laying down naked staring into a starry lake.

I love shooting cocaine into my veins when I listen to Hemispheres backwards.

I am The Sphere. I am one with myself even though the song was played at my wedding 19 years ago.

I know know nothing about Rush.

From Genesis To Revelations blows the first Rush album away.

John Rutsey is a loser.

Neil is a total overrated drummer.

Keith Moon is better.

Neil can't swing.

Dave Weckl is better.

Simon Phillips is the best.

Danny Carey is the only drummer on the planet who could replace Neil.

I know nothing.

"The Musical Box" is a shitty song.

Genesis has no talent.

Peter Gabriel is useless like Phil.

Geddy Lee is a better keyboard player than Tony Banks.

I'm smoking crack while on mushrooms.

LSD stands for LET STEVE HACKETT DIE.

Minus the H.

H is for Hogarth.

I hate that son of a bitch.

Arrogant, self absorbed piece of shit. I met him once. I have the right to type that. PRICK!

Marillion sucks too. 7 inches of shit music like Genesis.

Useless copy cat prog.

The only band to love is RUSH!

RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH!!

Brainwashed zombies! RUSH!!!

THE WALKING DEAD

THE TALKING DEAD

THE LISTENING DEAD!!

RUSH MUSIC!! ALL OTHER MUSIC IS SHITE!

DO DRUGS!! FUKK EVERTHING THAT WALKS! LISTEN TO RUSH!

LOVE DOES NOT EXIST!

DO MORE DRUGS!

LISTEN TO RUSH!

iPhone Zombies? iPhone Rush Fanatics.

Listen to "Limelight" as you walk into a telephone pole.

How more creative can I get at this hour?

I can't!

I'm drinking water.

You assholes who label me a drunk and a drug addict can piss off.

I majored in English.

I love to write.

Think what you must.

Label me what you must.

My real friends on here know me.

That's what counts.

Signed,

"I KNOW WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I KNOW"

• Like 2

"Supper's Ready!" Time to eat your fried chicken, mashed potatoes and shit corn on the cob from KFC.

Hey Earl, when will you sign my contract and join my world-conquering team of mutants? Contracts have already been sent to treeduck and tick.

:blaze:

• Like 1

Hey Earl, when will you sign my contract and join my world-conquering team of mutants? Contracts have already been sent to treeduck and tick.

Consider it done my long lost friend! Send me the contract and I will sign my name in blood!

Consider it done my long lost friend! Send me the contract and I will sign my name in blood!

Spoken like a true blood-thirsty, blood-crazed, hard rock mutant!

• Like 1

Spoken like a true blood-thirsty, blood-crazed, hard rock mutant!

HAHAHA!

Your timing is perfect! I'm watching Scooby Doo An Kiss right now on bluray!

Lot's of Gene Simmons animated blood! Well not yet!!

This flick is all about the "Black Diamond."

There is even a chick in the flick named "Shandi."

Love it!

Cheers buddy!

Oh is that really a thing?

I thought you were bullshitting! ;)

It's the real deal and I loved it being a KISS FANATIC.

I caught all of the puns and innuendos. EPIC CARTOON!

Trust me!

If you dare.........................................

KISS HATERS will be disgusted. FUKK EM