The 2015 US Open Thread

Bob Rossberg  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have the better score?

• Cole Hammer
    • Tiger Woods

Coverage is better than I thought it would be... Just my opinion. I wish they would show the players score more often though...

As much as I hate to say this they are really concentrating way to much on only a tiny part of the field and a handful of players. Also I really don't need the pro tracer this often. I like it now and then but not this much...

You are right ... They are concentrating on who they consider the marquee guys... NBC seemed to show more players...

They showed a lot of Phil today, now a lot of Tiger.

The pro tracer is helpful to me because with lack of tree lined fairways, some of the course is hard to follow.

I'm thinking Dustin Johnson might win this US Open...

Got to get those Tiger shots in before Saturday...

• Like 1

Coverage is better than I thought it would be... Just my opinion. I wish they would show the players score more often though...

As much as I hate to say this they are really concentrating way to much on only a tiny part of the field and a handful of players. Also I really don't need the pro tracer this often. I like it now and then but not this much...

The online feeds are good. They focus on either a couple of holes or a featured group.

You are right ... They are concentrating on who they consider the marquee guys... NBC seemed to show more players...

They showed a lot of Phil today, now a lot of Tiger.

The pro tracer is helpful to me because with lack of tree lined fairways, some of the course is hard to follow.

I'm thinking Dustin Johnson might win this US Open...

Got to get those Tiger shots in before Saturday...

McElroy shit the bed as well. +2 puts him seven back.

Visually, I am no fan of the course. I understand the concept, but I like knowing if they hit or missed the green :LOL:

Too many modern courses are set up this way. It's intriguing, but doesn't make for the best golf.

Visually, I am no fan of the course. I understand the concept, but I like knowing if they hit or missed the green :LOL:

Too many modern courses are set up this way. It's intriguing, but doesn't make for the best golf.

It does not. This course looks awful on TV. I'm wondering just how in the hell a course in the northwest looks burnt to a crisp when it rains every other day. I've seen pics & footage of it when the fairways & greens were actually, you know....f***ing green. I can appreciate the USGA's push for firmer golf courses & less water usage but for f**k's sake you're in the northwest...how does this happen?

It's a cartoon of a course and frankly I think it has no business hosting our national open.

It does not. This course looks awful on TV. I'm wondering just how in the hell a course in the northwest looks burnt to a crisp when it rains every other day. I've seen pics & footage of it when the fairways & greens were actually, you know....f***ing green. I can appreciate the USGA's push for firmer golf courses & less water usage but for f**k's sake you're in the northwest...how does this happen?

It's a cartoon of a course and frankly I think it has no business hosting our national open.

and what's up with the banked greens? Fowler hits a nice tee shot but it goes way past the hole, only to roll up the bank, come back down, and miss going in by only an inch or two. It's almost like mini-golf greens!

and what's up with the banked greens? Fowler hits a nice tee shot but it goes way past the hole, only to roll up the bank, come back down, and miss going in by only an inch or two. It's almost like mini-golf greens!

Fowler had another approach shot that he put (intentionally) 20+ yards left of the green. It hit on a bank and rolled down to within 15 ft of the pin. The intent is to replicate European links golf, which has been accomplished in some sense. The twisty, canal-shaped fairways miss the mark, however. As I said in another post, this design style has been popular out west for about twenty years now.

http://www.virtualtahoe.com/Golf/CoursePhotos/DragonL.jpg

"The Dragon" at Nakoma, CA.

Fowler had another approach shot that he put (intentionally) 20+ yards left of the green. It hit on a bank and rolled down to within 15 ft of the pin. The intent is to replicate European links golf, which has been accomplished in some sense. The twisty, canal-shaped fairways miss the mark, however. As I said in another post, this design style has been popular out west for about twenty years now.

They are gonna get more of the same at the PGA... Whistling Straits looks very similar, but that course does have well defined greens. :) Look at hole 18!

http://www.americanclubresort.com/golf/whistling-straits/the-straits/the-straits-hole-by-hole/no-18-%E2%80%93-dyeabolical

325cad84dc2d273685b90ef21c470901.jpg

• Like 1

They are gonna get more of the same at the PGA... Whistling Straits looks very similar, but that course does have well defined greens. :) Look at hole 18!

http://www.americanc...8-–-dyeabolical

These kinds of layouts suck for the vacationing golfer. If you're a member, or playing with one, you know where to hit it. Otherwise you spend your day hitting what you think is a perfect drive only to end up in the crap. It get's tiresome, I think.

I rarely golf on vacation anymore, actually. Weird layouts and $200 rounds...

• Like 2

These kinds of layouts suck for the vacationing golfer. If you're a member, or playing with one, you know where to hit it. Otherwise you spend your day hitting what you think is a perfect drive only to end up in the crap. It get's tiresome, I think.

You are spot on here. Hitting what appear to be good shots and losing a dozen balls in a round is tiresome and no fun. Been there...
  • Like 2

You are spot on here. Hitting what appear to be good shots and losing a dozen balls in a round is tiresome and no fun. Been there...

In the last 5 years, I think I have only played 2 round where I didn't lose a single ball. A couple looked to be in the middle of the fairway too... unbelievable!
  • Like 1

In the last 5 years, I think I have only played 2 round where I didn't lose a single ball. A couple looked to be in the middle of the fairway too... unbelievable!

Amen. I've played whistling straights...it's a beautiful rendition of a rugged American links course and is brutal if you're not playing well. Pete Dye knows what he's doing and what's authentic without becoming a caricature.

Chambers Bay is f***ing hideous. It's as if Robert Trent Jones, Jr. Tried to mimic Dye, Tom Doak, Coor & Crenshaw's take on American links but without any sense of restraint & proportion...in other words...a goofy caricature.

It might be fun to play but it is NOT fun to watch.

I'm wondering just how in the hell a course in the northwest looks burnt to a crisp when it rains every other day. I've seen pics & footage of it when the fairways & greens were actually, you know....f***ing green.

http://www.npr.org/s...-years-u-s-open

An NPR piece on the use of fescue and it's brownishness.

Chambers Bay is supposed to be different, and it's supposed to be brown. Most of the course is made of what's called fescue grass, which grows slowly, requires less water, and is drought-resistant.

Edited by goose

Chambers Bay, hole by hole.

http://www.chambersb...f-hole-by-hole/

http://www.chambersbaygolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Scorecard2.jpg

By the way, I love the "Tee it forward" campaign. I can't stand playing behind a group of golfers that are in over their heads - high handicappers playing from the tips.

Edited by goose

I'm wondering just how in the hell a course in the northwest looks burnt to a crisp when it rains every other day. I've seen pics & footage of it when the fairways & greens were actually, you know....f***ing green.

Chambers Bay is supposed to be different, and it's supposed to be brown. Most of the course is made of what's called fescue grass, which grows slowly, requires less water, and is drought-resistant.

Yeah, I get fescue but that doesn't excuse being able dribble a golf ball on the fairway.

Firm & fast is good whatever grass. Rock hard is another case. regardless...green & lush or firm & hard, this design is so obtuse & on the extreme that it shouldn't host a national open.

US Open coverage by FOX getting poor reviews (:gasp:)

http://www.washingto...g-rave-reviews/

Not a big fan so far, but I did like the shading they were doing to help read the greens

I didn't notice the shading thing I just thought they were that brown... :eh:

Yeah, I get fescue but that doesn't excuse being able dribble a golf ball on the fairway.

Firm & fast is good whatever grass. Rock hard is another case. regardless...green & lush or firm & hard, this design is so obtuse & on the extreme that it shouldn't host a national open.

We'll see down the stretch what kind of action it brings. The biggest knock may end up being that it's too easy.

ETA: Spieth is in the featured group online.

Edited by goose

Not that it matters a wit but Tiger with an opening bogey AGAIN. Good grief dude... :facepalm: