CA Album Battle 9: Clockwork Angels vs. Signals

Segue Myles

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is Best?

I reckon from here on out the competition may get tougher...

But in all honesty, not for me. Playing the album now, and no it isn't my favourite, not even close, but it is still excellent. Losing It, The Weapon, Countdown...CA doesn't have a song to match any of these for me!

Signals..hand down.

I love Countdown. One of their more underrated songs in my opinion.

• Like 3

With Signals I really have to be in the mood to listen to it, but I can listen to Clockwork Angels pretty much any time
  • Like 6

Replaying Signals, I am now not so sure I prefer it to Clockwork Angels.

Clockwork Angels is overall a consistent album in comparison to Signals, as I really only enjoy three songs off Signals, but at least six off of CA (and the rest are good to nearly great).

Have to be honest, revisiting Signals hasn't been as rewarding as I expected.

I changed my vote to Clockwork Angels.

• Like 3

I reckon frobm here on out the competition may get tougher...

But in all honesty, not for me. Playing the album now, and no it isn't my favourite, not even close, but it is still excellent. Losing It, The Weapon, Countdown...CA doesn't have a song to match any of these for me!

Signals..hand down.

I stand by this...the three songs I love of Signals top everything on CA...but I'd be a liar if I said CA isn't the more enticing album.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Clockwork Angels is overall a consistent album in comparison to Signals, as I really only enjoy three songs off Signals, but at least six off of CA (and the rest are good to nearly great).

As I've said, I love Signals- the songs I love on it, I really love...but out of eight songs, it has two stinkers. And on CA, I can't think of any at all. And so...there it is.

• Like 1

As I've said, I love Signals- the songs I love on it, I really love...but out of eight songs, it has two stinkers. And on CA, I can't think of any at all. And so...there it is.

I agree...there are no songs on CA I dislike as much as the "stinkers" on Signals.

I dislike Signals a smidge more than I remembered.

• Like 1

I agree...there are no songs on CA I dislike as much as the "stinkers" on Signals.

I dislike Signals a smidge more than I remembered.

Countdown is the only song that even comes close to a "stinker" in my view and even it doesn't qualify. WTW, The Wreckers, Carnies and 7COG could all be considered stinkers especially if being judged against Countdown...
  • Like 1

I love Countdown!

My stinkers on Signals are Chemistry (sorry, toymaker) and Losing It (sorry, ummm...everybody).

• Like 1

I love Countdown!

My stinkers on Signals are Chemistry (sorry, toymaker) and Losing It (sorry, ummm...everybody).

Chemistry and Digital Man are stinkers. And Countdown is, well, very dated.

I love Countdown!

Chemistry and Digital Man are stinkers. And Countdown is, well, very dated.

I could make an argument that a whole bunch of things they did from Signals through Test For Echo or so sound dated, but I don't think of that necessarily being a detriment.

I still love Countdown, in spite of its vintage being perceived as cheesy, by many folks around here.

Digital Man, stinker? You jest!

Signals as an album was groundbreaking back in 1982. If you were to listen to it for the first time today it would sound like it was recorded in 1982, thus dated.

CA, on the other hand, has a timeless sound. Sure, it sounds like a new Rush album. But it could have also been recorded in 1979, as it would fit in with their sound of the time.

Signals as an album was groundbreaking back in 1982. If you were to listen to it for the first time today it would sound like it was recorded in 1982, thus dated.

CA, on the other hand, has a timeless sound. Sure, it sounds like a new Rush album. But it could have also been recorded in 1979, as it would fit in with their sound of the time.

Sorry to say it would sound miles better had it been and more would love it I have no doubt including me... Edited by Narps

Sorry to say it would sound miles better had it been and more would love it I have no doubt including me...

There's a member among us here who seems (to me, anyway) to be a wizard at remixing sound- I saw a thread several days ago where he talked vault what he had done to Clockwork Angels, and that it actually was miles better. I'd be interested to hear it, but I don't want to pester him about making a copy of it (if that can even be done...I don't know).

As I've said, I think there are places in CA where the production really does suit it. It only bothers me in certain places. And still, that doesn't take anything away from the quality of the album as a whole.

Clockwork Angels :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini:

I honestly thought you were really young. Not sure why I thought that and I just spied your profile. Oops on me. :| You keep posting the same thing with no explanation so just wondering if CA is your favorite Rush album ever? Seems to be...

Isn't he Norwegian? ;)

Had to edit to add a winky lest some here get any wrong ideas. :sigh:

Edited by Lorraine

Clockwork Angels :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini:

I honestly thought you were really young. Not sure why I thought that and I just spied your profile. Oops on me. :| You keep posting the same thing with no explanation so just wondering if CA is your favorite Rush album ever? Seems to be...

Isn't he Norwegian?

Yes!

Unless he's fudging that information. :unsure:

Signals is consistently good. Subdivisions and The Analog Kid are awesome, and then there's a dip in quality the rest of the way. It's all still enjoyable, except for maybe Chemistry, but not as good as the first two songs. Clockwork Angels' first five tracks are epic, as are the last five. Gotta give it to CA here. Actually, CA beats every post-MP album in my book, so maybe I should just stop voting…
  • Like 1

Actually, CA beats every post-MP album in my book, so maybe I should just stop voting…

No, don't stop! That's all the more reason that you should continue voting.

As I've said, I think there are places in CA where the production really does suit it. It only bothers me in certain places. And still, that doesn't take anything away from the quality of the album as a whole.

There is the quality of the songs and the quality of the album production, and those are two completely different things. When I hear people talking crap about CA they always mention the poor production quality (which I don't hear, but that's my ears) and never the quality of the songs themselves, and I think that's what the NarpMan is talking about here:

Sorry to say it would sound miles better had it been and more would love it I have no doubt including me...

So, to those people who have an issue with the production on CA (or Vapor Trails, for that matter) what you do think of the songs live? Are they everything you had wanted them to be on the album? If you don't like them live, then why not?

• Like 2