CA Album Battle 7: Clockwork Angels vs. Permanent Waves

Segue Myles

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is Best?

• Clockwork Angels
    • Permanent Waves

This is extremely difficult. Both albums rank very closely for me. Like TM said, Clockwork Angels simply has more to enjoy, but that doesn't deny the greatness of Permanent Waves.

Not a poor song on Permanent Waves or anything close to one. CA has at least three that I know of. Just my opinion of course and then there is the dreadful production. No contest here...

and the yodeling.

Mick

I am not a CA hater but about 50% of it is good and about 15% of it is great( Halo Effect and The Garden). Not gonna mention the other reason again. Its obvious...
  • Like 1

This is extremely difficult. Both albums rank very closely for me. Like TM said, Clockwork Angels simply has more to enjoy, but that doesn't deny the greatness of Permanent Waves.

I gotta say and I don't mean this in a negative or personal way but just an observation. Reading through these poll threads your taste in Rush music has surprised me some. I knew that CP was your favorite but I just didn't realize you weren't a big fan of their halcyon days. I knew you couldn't stand the Debut but I guess I haven't been paying well enough attention to the rest I suppose e.g. 2112, AFTK etc... :) Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

I gotta say and I don't mean this in a negative or personal way but just an observation. Reading through these poll threads your taste in Rush music has surprised me some. I knew that CP was your favorite but I just didn't realize you weren't a big fan of their halcyon days. I knew you couldn't stand the Debut but I guess I haven't been paying well enough attention to the rest I suppose e.g. 2112, AFTK etc...

To me, their halcyon days are anything Hemispheres-Power Windows. Before that to me has some fantastic songs mixed in with inconsistency. To me Twilight Zone is an absolute stinker and that sealed 2112's fate against CA. I don't dislike anything on CA like I do that song. AFTK I don't like Cinderella Man or Madrigal, and Closer To The Heart I could really live without at this point.

This vote was a toughie. I love both PeW and CA dearly, but CA simply has more to enjoy for me. The song quality matches, so it's one of the rare cases where quantity over quality wins out.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 2

I gotta say and I don't mean this in a negative or personal way but just an observation. Reading through these poll threads your taste in Rush music has surprised me some. I knew that CP was your favorite but I just didn't realize you weren't a big fan of their halcyon days. I knew you couldn't stand the Debut but I guess I haven't been paying well enough attention to the rest I suppose e.g. 2112, AFTK etc...

To me, their halcyon days are anything Hemispheres-Power Windows. Before that to me has some fantastic songs mixed in with inconsistency. To me Twilight Zone is an absolute stinker and that sealed 2112's fate against CA. I don't dislike anything on CA like I do that song. AFTK I don't like Cinderella Man or Madrigal, and Closer To The Heart I could really live without at this point.

This vote was a toughie. I love both PeW and CA dearly, but CA simply has more to enjoy for me. The song quality matches, so it's one of the rare cases where quantity over quality wins out.

Hey. Knock yourself out. Just curious and I will leave it there...
  • Like 3

:cheers: Like I said before, good to have you back, man.

• Like 2

If it wasn't for these albums, there would be no CA.

Rush would have faded into oblivion by now.

In my opinion.

:)

I think CA honestly has/had excellent potential. Song and story wise there is much to like there. With so many songs and so much music a few stinkers is to be expected. If it were a 40-45 minute recording done well with the stinkers eliminated it could compare favorably in my opinion with these epic all-timers we are debating now. There is enough juice there and two excellent ballads to make a great 40-45 minute album. Alas, it didn't happen that way and what I said I wouldn't mention again happened too... :|
  • Like 1

Narp couldn't very well leave just when he's ready to break onto page 1 of the top posters list, could he?

• Like 1

Narp couldn't very well leave just when he's ready to break onto page 1 of the top posters list, could he?

I hadn't noticed. Am I pretty close to the first page of the leaderboard?... :)

I think you're within about 70. So it's pretty analogous to Tiger.

• Like 1

LABT, I see you are in the top five.

Did I miss the celebration party?

Or was it an exclusive list of invitees?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

No party. Lerxt is much more popular than me.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

:o No party?? Nonsense. We must put together a little celebration.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

:o No party?? Nonsense. We must put together a little celebration.

Appreciate the sentiment but you really shouldn't. Besides, none of you have any experience in bringing forks. And it's not a party without them!

• Like 1

I think you're within about 70. So it's pretty analogous to Tiger.

:laughing guy: ....
  • Like 1

Permanent Waves, one of the most perfect recordings of all time, somehow followed up by another one of the most perfect recordings of all time.

Clockwork Angels, masterful work which could easily sit in with the other Rush Classics without seeming out of place, besides the humongous running time.

PeW ftw!

• Like 2

Permanent Waves, one of the most perfect recordings of all time, somehow followed up by another one of the most perfect recordings of all time.

Clockwork Angels, masterful work which could easily sit in with the other Rush Classics without seeming out of place, besides the humongous running time.

PeW ftw!

:goodone:

• Like 1

I knew that CP was your favorite but I just didn't realize you weren't a big fan of their halcyon days. :)

Most fans of the Halcyon days, were living in them. Some, like myself, don't have that experience. So perhaps that impacts the significance of the early albums for me
  • Like 1

I knew that CP was your favorite but I just didn't realize you weren't a big fan of their halcyon days. :)

Most fans of the Halcyon days, were living in them. Some, like myself, don't have that experience. So perhaps that impacts the significance of the early albums for me

Fair point. Never thought of that before.