CA Album Battle 7: Clockwork Angels vs. Permanent Waves

Segue Myles

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is Best?

• Clockwork Angels
    • Permanent Waves

This is extremely difficult. Both albums rank very closely for me. Like TM said, Clockwork Angels simply has more to enjoy, but that doesn't deny the greatness of Permanent Waves.

I knew that CP was your favorite but I just didn't realize you weren't a big fan of their halcyon days. :)

Most fans of the Halcyon days, were living in them. Some, like myself, don't have that experience. So perhaps that impacts the significance of the early albums for me

Fair point. Never thought of that before.

Believe it or not I have. Many of the younger folks don't hold the 74' - 81'ish era in as high a regard as those who actually lived it. For the most part I "get it"... Edited by Narps

I'm not rating albums based on their "importance for the band's career" or the memories of it being released

I don't think everyone can say that...feelin' some reminiscing going on with most of these threads

I'm not rating albums based on their "importance for the band's career" or the memories of it being released. Simply songs against songs.

But in fairness to the subject matter at hand you didn't live them and they aren't "burned in your brain" like an old fart such as myself. I wouldn't expect you to revere them as I do... Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

I'm not rating albums based on their "importance for the band's career" or the memories of it being released

I don't think everyone can say that...feelin' some reminiscing going on with most of these threads

I wouldn't go so far as to say that many people are guilty of doing so. Some people adore CoS-AFTK because of their songs, not the memories or importance of their existence. I'm just not one of them.

• Like 1

I hVe to believe that anyone that votes CA is a troll on this and the next one.

I think Tombstone's THE BIGGEST troll at least with CA

Actually the biggest trolls would be those who say CA lacks imagination and creativity, or it's a completely average work. Trolls are the people who would say that the album is all rehashed shit, or boring. Those are the trolls Mick. Another good example would be someone saying it's a "chore" to listen to Headlong Flight.

Troll Squad has you and Segue as CA Troll captains, with a few bench players.

I have done nothing except try to be nice to you, confronting you when offended and all you can do is say stuff like this.

I will continue to be kind but my patience has definitely run out.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that many people are guilty of doing so. Some people adore CoS-AFTK because of their songs, not the memories or importance of their existence. I'm just not one of them.

I believe that's a component there for some, not all.

I hVe to believe that anyone that votes CA is a troll on this and the next one.

I think Tombstone's THE BIGGEST troll at least with CA

Actually the biggest trolls would be those who say CA lacks imagination and creativity, or it's a completely average work. Trolls are the people who would say that the album is all rehashed shit, or boring. Those are the trolls Mick. Another good example would be someone saying it's a "chore" to listen to Headlong Flight.

Troll Squad has you and Segue as CA Troll captains, with a few bench players.

I have done nothing except try to be nice to you, confronting you when offended and all you can do is say stuff like this.

I will continue to be kind but my patience has definitely run out.

And exactly what does that mean? Does that mean yer getting on a plane from England to visit Goatnut?

Interesting how these CA polls pop up. Wonder why?

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

I believe that's a component there for some, not all.

I got both going for me which is nice... :)
  • Like 2

They pop up because:

A) it's the most recent album

B) it's one of the bands most divisive releases

C) it's great for discussion, especially lately

• Like 1

Guys come on...I think everyone needs to chill out and maybe step away for a bit. Fighting over a Rush album???

I know...I've backed off now.

Let's all just enjoy the discussion and ignore any pessimism regarding each other.

• Like 1

I heard the seventies' Rush albums (that includes Permanent Waves) in their entirety just a few years ago. I can't be accused of nostalgia. Or emotional attachment.

They are great albums. It matters not when you discover them. Their greatness is evident regardless.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

I heard the seventies' Rush albums (that includes Permanent Waves) in their entirety just a few years ago. I can't be accused of nostalgia. Or emotional attachment.

They are great albums. It matters now when you discover them. Their greatness shines regardless.

Exactly. And some CA "haters" also happen to enjoy SA, and others VT.

The band existed for nearly 40 years as a studio band prior to CA, I am pretty certain many here still qualify as true fans regardless of their view on CA.

Nostalgia plays no role in my enjoyment of CA. I happen to like it more than a fair few Rush albums.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Would you all like me to dig up one of the old Speed of Love bashing threads? It would be a real "bonding" moment for many of you. :)

Except for me. I like the song. Still do. Listened to it for the first time in a while yesterday. :wub:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I did vote for Permanent Waves here, but the decision was tough. PeW won only because it was the first Rush album I heard, thus holds a very special place in my heart. Every song is fantastic.
  • Like 1

Would you all like me to dig up one of the old Speed of Love bashing threads? It would be a real bonding moment for you.

Except for me. I like the song. Still do. Listened to it for the first time in a while yesterday. :wub:

I like that song!

Trippy vocals, smooth chorus, great bridge...good track!

• Like 1

Would you all like me to dig up one of the old Speed of Love bashing threads? It would be a real "bonding" moment for many of you. :)

Speed of Love (and Counterparts, really) gets a lot of hate, but I understand it. It took a lot of time for me to find things about it that I liked. The guitar work is what makes me appreciate it. Reminds me of Grace Under Pressure.

• Like 1

Speed of Love (and Counterparts, really) gets a lot of hate, but I understand it. It took a lot of time for me to find things about it that I liked. The guitar work is what makes me appreciate it. Reminds me of Grace Under Pressure.

But you hate The Speed of Love too.

So you are all set! :)

I'm going to listen to it right now. :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

Except I don't hate it :eh:

• Like 2

This is how to tactfully support your favourite album!

I feel similarly towards Hold Your Fire. Unforgivably underrated, but as I said at the start of this thread, I understand how my favourites can divide opinion.

Good. I could use an ally. That's you, me and Zumbi (who says he loves every Rush song).

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Good. I could use an ally. That's you, me and Zumbi who loves everything.

Oi!

• Like 1

Good. I could use an ally. That's you, me and Zumbi who loves everything.

Oi!

Sorry.

Segue too. :)