Golden Boy Tom Brady suspended four games

Hours of ESPN coverage this morning I conclude 1. minor infraction, 2. there is doubt of involvement, 3. Brady wanted to protect his privacy which I can understand.

4. Blatant bias against the Patriots by certain NFL teams, the media, and certain groups of fans.

Maybe, but let's be fair here. I'm a giant Pats fan and guys, THEY CHEATED AND LIED AND COVERED IT UP.

I wish they'd just have bitten the bullet back then and be done with it but that didn't happen.

And now Brady's legacy is going to have this terrible shit smear on it forever :(

Teams underinflate the footballs, team overinflate them.....blah blah blah.....

Aaron Rodgers likes the footballs overinflated a bit. Other QB's like 'em underinflated.

Teams have two sets of footballs - one set for the offense, and another set for the kickers (because they like their footballs overinflated).

This is not an issue. Penalize the Patriots, then you must penalize every other team that has changed the air pressure of the footballs.

If a team is caught doing it, then yeah....penalize them. Or change the inflation limits if it's a bad rule or give the balls to only the refs to control once pressurized.

But as it stands you're breaking a rule willfully and got caught doing it.

Your argument is like saying "lots of people take steroids so why bother enforcing it? If you enforce it with this guy you'll have to enforce it with that guy...and that guy. F@ck it!"

:D

Lots of people break rules, it's true. Not everyone gets caught doing it. That's also true. If you're not going to enforce your policies or people are going to gripe and piss and moan when you do, you might as well throw them all out.

The issue of the PSI of the footballs is so insignificant that the penalty handed down is absolutely inappropriate, disproportional, and downright petty. As so many teams have changed the PSI of their footballs for so long, it's literally an open secret. It didn't affect the Pats-Colts game, nor did it affect any other game.

Penalties of this magnitude are for REAL cheating and misconduct.....not for this petty BS. Slap a token fine on the team and be DONE with it.

I guess the league disagrees with you that it is petty BS.

Hours of ESPN coverage this morning I conclude 1. minor infraction, 2. there is doubt of involvement, 3. Brady wanted to protect his privacy which I can understand.

4. Blatant bias against the Patriots by certain NFL teams, the media, and certain groups of fans.

Maybe, but let's be fair here. I'm a giant Pats fan and guys, THEY CHEATED AND LIED AND COVERED IT UP.

I wish they'd just have bitten the bullet back then and be done with it but that didn't happen.

And now Brady's legacy is going to have this terrible shit smear on it forever :(

I don't think his legacy is smeared forever. It's not like he'll be lumped in with Clemens or Bonds for PED use. The best way I heard it describe is that he'll be like the Gaylord Perry of football. Nothing too harmful and kinda funny. This will blow over imo. If Goodell wouldn't have bumbled the Ray Rice incident and didn't come down so hard on the Saints, the punishment would have been much less.

Aaron Rodgers likes the footballs overinflated a bit. Other QB's like 'em underinflated.

Teams have two sets of footballs - one set for the offense, and another set for the kickers (because they like their footballs overinflated).

This is not an issue. Penalize the Patriots, then you must penalize every other team that has changed the air pressure of the footballs.

If a team is caught doing it, then yeah....penalize them. Or change the inflation limits if it's a bad rule or give the balls to only the refs to control once pressurized.

Your argument is like saying "lots of people take steroids so why bother enforcing it? If you enforce it with this guy you'll have to enforce it with that guy...and that guy. F@ck it!"

Lots of people break rules, it's true. Not everyone gets caught doing it. That's also true. If you're not going to enforce your policies or people are going to gripe and piss and moan when you do, you might as well throw them all out.

And a lot of QBs have come out saying they've never thought of engaging in this type of activity, and never heard of it being done. Taking the balls from the refs, deflating them, and covering it up seems like a fairly unique level of cheating.

Brady did all that? Wow. Now I really need to read the whole report.

I said Brady did all that? Wow. Now you really need to read my posts.

You mentioned that other QBs have said, "they've never thought of engaging in this type of activity," and then go on to describe what "this type of activity" is ("taking balls from the refs . . ."). If you weren't trying to convey the impression that Brady has done those specific things, and it's made all the worse because other QBs don't do it, then you need to work on your writing skills.

Your deliberate obtuseness gets boring fast. My post is as clear as your desire to misrepresent the facts of the case, as you've done on several occasions.

As does your whining when you get bagged for being so incredibly disingenuous. How ironic. Just admit you wanted to imply that Brady is at the center of the cheating. Show some character for once. Like Shula. Who would never do something like, say, intentionally let a field get soaked before an AFC Championship game.

And a lot of QBs have come out saying they've never thought of engaging in this type of activity, and never heard of it being done. Taking the balls from the refs, deflating them, and covering it up seems like a fairly unique level of cheating.

Brady did all that? Wow. Now I really need to read the whole report.

I said Brady did all that? Wow. Now you really need to read my posts.

You mentioned that other QBs have said, "they've never thought of engaging in this type of activity," and then go on to describe what "this type of activity" is ("taking balls from the refs . . ."). If you weren't trying to convey the impression that Brady has done those specific things, and it's made all the worse because other QBs don't do it, then you need to work on your writing skills.

Your deliberate obtuseness gets boring fast. My post is as clear as your desire to misrepresent the facts of the case, as you've done on several occasions.

As does your whining when you get bagged for being so incredibly disingenuous. How ironic. Just admit you wanted to imply that Brady is at the center of the cheating. Show some character for once. Like Shula. Who would never do something like, say, intentionally let a field get soaked before an AFC Championship game.

Brady is at the center of the cheating, along with McNally and Jastremsky . You misreading my post, being disingenuous, and hypocritically bitching all the time doesn't change that.

• Like 1

I bleed Green & Gold, and I have no ill will against the Patriots. In my opinion, the "cheating" in this case is insignificant. It did not change the outcome of the AFC Championship Game or any other game.

Yes, technically, the Patriots as well as other teams are cheating when they change the PSI of the footballs. This offense does not warrant the penalty handed down.

• Like 4

I bleed Green & Gold, and I have no ill will against the Patriots. In my opinion, the "cheating" in this case is insignificant. It did not change the outcome of the AFC Championship Game or any other game.

Yes, technically, the Patriots as well as other teams are cheating when they change the PSI of the footballs. This offense does not warrant the penalty handed down.

Plus,

What I have read and seen on TV there is no hard evidence. If some one can correct me then I missed some thing. Sounds like the league is on a witch hunt. Also, why did it take so long?

Plus,

What I have read and seen on TV there is no hard evidence. If some one can correct me then I missed some thing. Sounds like the league is on a witch hunt. Also, why did it take so long?

It is a circumstantial case, as most are. Like the Aaron Hernandez case. There is plenty of hard evidence, enough to get a judgment in any civil trial, and probably enough in a criminal trial. Wells did a good job of shredding the criticisms of Kraft and Yee.

• Like 1

Plus,

It is a circumstantial case, as most are. Like the Aaron Hernandez case. There is plenty of hard evidence, enough to get a judgment in any civil trial, and probably enough in a criminal trial. Wells did a good job of shredding the criticisms of Kraft and Yee.

What hard evidence?

Comparing it to the Hernandez case is silly at best.

Edited by troutman

Plus,

What hard evidence?

Comparing it to the Hernandez case is silly at best.

In the crime, yes. In the evidence, no.

• Like 1

We will see. Too bad he had to put a blemish on things. Completely unnecessary. The team least needing to cheat chronically does so. Sad. Good thing a great player is not also above the rules, however. If this was a shit quarterback for the Jags everyone would let him hang. Cheating is cheating. The suspension is essentially a PED type suspension. Very fair.

What is your take on MLB pitchers doctoring the ball? The longest suspension is about 10 games or .96% of a season, not 25% of a season.

The baseball season is over 1000 games long?

If it doesn't matter, why does he do it? Sure, it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the AFC Championship game but they didn't win every game by 38 points.

If it doesn't matter, why does he do it? Sure, it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the AFC Championship game but they didn't win every game by 38 points.

Why does any team do it? Why does Rodgers prefer the football overinflated? It comes down to personal preference.

It's not like in baseball, where pitchers throw spitballs or use sandpaper to get an unfair advantage. A small change in the PSI in a football doesn't give anyone an unfair advantage.

• Like 2

I think you guys are missing the point. It doesn't matter why it was done or home much of an advantage it gave them. Goodell's mishandling of other incidents in the past, and his inconsistent style of punishment, set up these types of sanctions against the Pats. And since it wasn't their first time getting their hands caught in the cookie jar, the sanctions were harsh. Still not as harsh as what happened to the Saints,
  • Like 1

You say this because you're a knowledgeable football fan, who isn't contorting himself to explain why the Patriots have been successful at the expense of your favorite team.

Stop it LABT. After the Patriots got caught "cheating" and the balls were being watched closely by the officials they hung 28 points on the Colts and another 28 on the Legion of Boom.

Yeah, pretty much my stance too... did they cheat by the letter of the law? yes. Do I really give a crap, no.

a slight change in PSI is insignificant when compared to all the other ways of cheating. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, but I'm sure I would if I was a Pats fan.

:Fool me once shame on you

Fool me twice, can't put the blame on you

Fool me three times, f**k the peace signs

Load the chopper, let it rain on you.

Edited by Chicken hawk

Yeah, pretty much my stance too... did they cheat by the letter of the law? yes. Do I really give a crap, no.

a slight change in PSI is insignificant when compared to all the other ways of cheating. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, but I'm sure I would if I was a Pats fan.

I keep seeing people say that other teams have done this. What other teams have taken the balls after the refs have inspected them, and then deflated (or over-inflated) them and passed them off as unaltered? And I'm pretty sure that no other team has engaged in obstruction into an investigation of such matters.

• Like 1