The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Segue,

For no totally particular reason today, I decided to listen to TOP Blurryface for the first time just after listening through American Idiot.

I think I've mentioned somewhere before how they just don't click with me or something...this has changed. Somewhere in the first few songs I realized this was not what I expected it to be: corny left turns hastily inserted into vaguely alternative pop top 40 fodder with "relatable" lyrics.

Instead it was: the sounds and styles of the top 40, turned inside out and scrambled and jumbled together into genius gems of spontaneous, hook-ridden, off-kilter pop nuggets...all to better represent the actual experience of the band and their relationships with themselves and the importance of music in their lives, written in such a way that others can find it "relatable"

If that sounds like gibberish, it's cuz I have a hard time putting the genius here into words. I'm not calling them The Beatles, but I am saying this album is a type of Sgt. Pepper's, for impact, ingenuity, and coercion of the generally bland and cliche into the thrilling and original. Not to mention, they seem to have successfully reconciled The Beatles with Eminem via the lens of 10's top 40, which I hadn't imagined was actually possible. And all the while they've succeeded as artists, as a business, and as the source of a devoted fan base, while ironically being unable to reconcile their own demons.

I said genius. I meant it. This band just proved to me that one CAN be smarter than pop music, and pop culture by extension, if one is brave enough to attempt an understanding of it. And they proved that all you actually need to succeed in today's pop landscape is a good chorus/hook; the rest can be whatever the heck pleases you.

Twenty One Pilots are pop geniuses.

Just gonna say I have the exact same opinion.

• Like 1

Bruce.... I'm pretty much all about Album 2 and Album 3, and i like tracks off the rest. LOL!

So instead of doing 10 albums, I'll do 10 songs:

1) Rosalita

2) Jungleland

3) Trapped (Jimmy Cliff song but he KILLS it)

4) One Step Up

5) The Rising

6) The River

7) No Surrender

8) Born to Run

9) It's Hard to Be A Saint in the City

10) Brilliant Disguise

If Bruce had kept his mouth shut about his politics, he would have gained more fans.

He really does need to be reminded where he came from. He's been living in his ivory tower for way too long.

i quite agree. pre born in the USA was much better. but Born in the USA was the birth of bitter old man Bruce. you can here it on bootlegs. he will literally stop mid-song for rants.

jMick

• Like 1

If Bruce had kept his mouth shut about his politics, he would have gained more fans.

He really does need to be reminded where he came from. He's been living in his ivory tower for way too long.

i quite agree. pre born in the USA was much better. but Born in the USA was the birth of bitter old man Bruce. you can here it on bootlegs. he will literally stop mid-song for rants.

jMick

I wonder what happened to him.

I guess the same thing that happens to a lot of upstarts.

jMick

I wonder what happened to him.

I guess the same thing that happens to a lot of upstarts.

people can get your ear. saying your an important voice. with very few expections. i want politics out of my music. i really do not care what they have to say, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I think his politics were genuine and he got caught up in that era, like a lot of artists did. He did it well.

Bruce's music is diverse amd great enough to be spoken about, surely, without always having to bring up his politics? Some of his best work was written with that fire in him after all.

• Like 1

AFI might be on the same high pedestal as Jimmy. Always have been really, but I never really thought much of it.

He literally had one of the highest grossing tours in history last year.

• Like 2

He literally had one of the highest grossing tours in history last year.

Lol I was keeping my mouth shut haha!

Bruce is a pretentious snot.

But I have to say he and his wife did an excellent job raising their children. One son actually became a fireman! :laughing guy: That's pretty good. :cheers:

Edited by Lorraine

Well I don't think so. He uses his music to speak his mind, his shows are a testament to his zeal for the live atmosphere and his ability, and he has a big heart.

You can disagree with his politics but I don't dislike anyone for speaking their mind.

And every era has had great music from him. Thats all I ask.

• Like 2

Bruce is a pretentious snot.

But I have to say he and his wife did an excellent job raising their children. One son actually became a fireman! :laughing guy: That's pretty good. :cheers:

His daughter is a jockey. A beauty as well in her own way!!

You want a real pretentious snot look at Sting (sorry Lorraine, lol) And Don Henley......lord Don Henley, lol

I never thought Springsteen was pretentious....but he certainly is bitter.

Mick

It doesn't bother me. No need to apologize. What do I care and why should I get indignant about what you or anyone says about someone whose music I happen to like but who doesn't even know I exist? Know what I mean, Jellybean? :)

What am I going to run to Sting's defense for?

Hmm???

They are human beings whose crap stinks like yours and mine.

Crude, but true.

Keep that in mind always. :codger:

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :hi:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

You want a real pretentious snot look at Sting (sorry Lorraine, lol) And Don Henley......lord Don Henley, lol

Mick

It doesn't bother me. No need to apologize. What do I care and why should I get indignant about what you or anyone says about someone whose music I happen to like but who doesn't even know I exist? Know what I mean, Jellybean? :)

Hmm???

Crude, but true.

i've been avoiding that police thread because i have nothing nice to say, lol :laughing guy: you should see me i'm like biting my nails, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Hmm???

Crude, but true.

i've been avoiding that police thread because i have nothing nice to say, lol :laughing guy: you should see me i'm like biting my nails, lol

Mick

I've lost count of the number of threads I avoid for the same reason.

:laughing guy:

• Like 1

Mick

Hmm???

Crude, but true.

Mick

I've lost count of the number of threads I avoid for the same reason.

:laughing guy:

And the new yorker in me wants to tear the band i new one. but i'm really working on mellowing, lol

Mick

• Like 1

You could argue Bruce is as big as he is partially because he is a pretentious snot

actually that applies to a shit ton of musicians.

you could take it a step futher and say the very Idea of making music is pretentious, lol

Mick

• Like 1

You could argue Bruce is as big as he is partially because he is a pretentious snot

you could take it a step futher and say the very Idea of making music is pretentious, lol

Mick

LOL - that's why I laugh when people accuse musicians of being pretentious.

OF COURSE THEY ARE.

They are creating something and a lot of the time they're trying to create something either a) beyond their immediate capabilites (that's how we grow, how bout that!) or b) something "great" or "memorable".

• Like 1

Mick

LOL - that's why I laugh when people accuse musicians of being pretentious.

OF COURSE THEY ARE.

They are creating something and a lot of the time they're trying to create something either a) beyond their immediate capabilites (that's how we grow, how bout that!) or b) something "great" or "memorable".

lol. really it's a pointless discussion.

But it's ok cause we're all befitting from it by being music people, lol

Mick

• Like 2

My top ten bands of all time update:

1. Lacuna Coil

2. Paradise Lost

3. Nightwish

4. Sonata Arctica

5. HIM

6. Jimmy Eat World

7. The Juliana Theory

8. AFI (new entry)

9. Thrice

10. Idlewild

Within Temptation and Bruce Springsteen appear to have fallen off my radar, but they are truly still a major part of my life. But...Sonata Arctica and AFI this last year shoved each one out...who would have thought? WT were for more than a decade a top three band...

Odd how things change over time!

1. The Beatles

2. Pink Floyd

3. Queen

4. Spock's Beard

5. Kansas

6. Enchant

7. Steely Dan

8. Toto

9. Jimmy Eat World

10. Neal Morse Band

My Tastes i realized are more to the classics or are rooted in the classic sound. I can't really say goth metal has made a lasting impression on me. and ditto emo. with the exeption of Jimmy. the classics won out, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I think my favourite metal bands are these guys:

1. Paradise Lost

2. Nightwish

3. Sonata Arctica

4. Trivium

5. Mastodon

6. In Flames

7. Iron Maiden

8. Opeth (early)

I struggle to define Lacuna Coil or HIM as metal, in spite of their influences and often harder sound. Flowing Tears and The Gathering similarly apply.