T4e-driven- time& motion

B side- virtuality-resist-limbo

And I just fell in love with that set

It was brand new and I took it to a trip in the woods

I must have turn that tape a zillion times

It was marvelous, hiptnotic, heavy and refined

We were so high! Cof cof!

• Like 1

OK...two days in a row, back and forth to and from work. I've had enough. It's just not very impressive. Because of how so many of the songs are structured, I'd describe it as confusing, even. Did they write these songs or edit them together from Counterparts outtakes?
  • Like 1

I admire the sound quality of this record its not as bald as CP but its a great balance, If you are a studio musician you know what I mean.

30-60 second clips are still sonically impressive. That's what originally turned me onto it when it first came out. I remember loving it.

I'm quite surprised at how it's failed to endure for me.

I think the best description someone had for this album was that it didn't offend them, but it didn't make them feel much of anything. I kind of feel the same way. It's hard for me to rate it highly, but there's also nothing here that I'd classify as offensive or controversial to the Rush canon, like say the Roll the Bones rap. I'll go on record as saying I have always liked Half The World, even if there is a triteness to the words.

In general, I'd agree with the consensus that this is a weak album lyrically; it's hard to think of too many worse.

I think the album just comes across as somewhat listless.... there doesn't seem to be a clear cut direction or accomplishment that Rush is going for here... some of it sounds kind of phoned in. It came out a full three years after Counterparts and I remember in the interim period between the two that it seemed like it was taking them a long time to produce this album. Of course there have been larger gaps between albums since, but at the time they had never gone more than two years without a studio album. I wonder if they were simply short on material because there are many parts of this album that seem forced.

There are some bright spots on it, though. It is also recorded and mixed well, considering what came later.

Edited by analog guy
  • Like 1

Carve Away The Stone is such an underrated gem.

Love it!

• Like 1

Carve Away The Stone is such an underrated gem.

Love it!

I'm going to listen to it this morning. This is one of the songs from this album that I can't recall a single lyric or note. I'll give it another chance.

A I said on the poll...I'm not a HUGE fan of this album, but it has it's merits...and actually came across a lot better live...when I got the R40 "box set" the footage from the T4E show put some things into a more positive light for me....
  • Like 1

Many of my comments are in line with comments already made but I will toss them in anyway.

I find the first side of the album to be good and solid. Not great - esp. by Rush standards. But its fine.

Unfortunately the 2'nd side has 2 of Rush's worst songs - (IMO)- Virtuality and Dog Years.

Then it comes back with 2 of the albums best songs - Resist and Carve Away the Stone.

Overall its a decent, enjoyable album. Just Skip Virtuality and Dog Years.

Resist is infinitely better as a live acoustic number than it is on the studio album, on which it is virtually unlistenable.
  • Like 1

Many of my comments are in line with comments already made but I will toss them in anyway.

I find the first side of the album to be good and solid. Not great - esp. by Rush standards. But its fine.

Unfortunately the 2'nd side has 2 of Rush's worst songs - (IMO)- Virtuality and Dog Years.

Then it comes back with 2 of the albums best songs - Resist and Carve Away the Stone.

Overall its a decent, enjoyable album. Just Skip Virtuality and Dog Years.

Dog Years is a good song. I can see why people dont like it tho. I get it. They are wrong but I get it ;).

• Like 1

t4E song is maybe one of their greatest

Sound, lyrics, composing, playing, tempo, its groovy, heavy, refined, bluessy, great voice, misty, rocky, sticky,

If you learn it on any instrument you will be enjoying be part of it

Specially d drums

" tudududududuuduuum....some kind of drama live on satellite"

Maaasters!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Nah, it's still Rush's worst album. By a long shot. :)

Roll the Bones is. Everyone who disagrees is wrong.

Haha. That's quite a blanket statement. But no, RTB has better production mix and at least a marginal number of superior songs than TFE.

TFE is Rush's one throwaway album, alas.

Haha. That's quite a blanket statement. But no, RTB has better production mix and at least a marginal number of superior songs than TFE.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Coughyouarewrongcough.

All this should be taken wih the proverbial grain of salt.

They both stink in comparison to what came not that many years prior....

LOL. I'm not wrong, though. Even the most casual Rush fan can hear the difference between TFE and the rest of the discography. There's not even a close second....if there is, it'd be VT, or maybe HYF. But that's even stretching. :)

They both stink in comparison to what came not that many years prior....

There is no denying that. :)

I can't believe there are guys on here that think TFE is a superior album over SnA or CA.

t4E song is maybe one of their greatest

Sound, lyrics, composing, playing, tempo, its groovy, heavy, refined, bluessy, great voice, misty, rocky, sticky,

If you learn it on any instrument you will be enjoying be part of it

Specially d drums

" tudududududuuduuum....some kind of drama live on satellite"

Maaasters!!!!!!!

Where you drinking when you contributed this gem? :martini: :martini: :digi: :digi: :macallan: :facepalm:

TFE isn't horrible but it's.....bland. Like eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream compared to what all came before.

There's also a fuzzy sound to the whole thing. I think it's the distortion tone Alex was recording with. Parts of Limbo for example just sound like a wall of noise. It's not as good sounding production-wise as Counterparts.

That being said, I do like the title track and Half The World and Time and Motion. The rest are......meh. Like they went to the studio without much new ideas or motivation to really hit one out of the park.

The funny thing is I have an issue of Guitar Player magazine from that time with the cover proclaiming "Rush's newest and BEST ALBUM since Moving Pictures!" :crazy: :laughing yellow guy: