How bad is David Lee Roth? Please vote

An embarrassment, or asset?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Does DLR help Van Halen at all?

• Hell yeah, it's Diamond Dave Bro!
    • When he's twirling the mikestand he's helping VH
    • Dude is doing OK. He's a bit older you know
    • He's a complete trainwreck. Sammy come back PLEASE

My husband mentioned something to me yesterday that he remembered about Van Halen. I don't know if it is true, but maybe some here do know.

He said that David Lee Roth's father is the one that fronted the band and gave them their push.

:huh:

My husband mentioned something to me yesterday that he remembered about Van Halen. I don't know if it is true, but maybe some here do know.

He said that David Lee Roth's father is the one that fronted the band and gave them their push.

\

By "fronting" do you mean he was the lead singer at one time? ;)

\

I remember hearing that the only reason they let DLR in the band was because he had a PA. Also, didn't gene Simmons have something to do with discovering them or something? I was thinking I remember hearing that years ago

\

I remember hearing that the only reason they let DLR in the band was because he had a PA. Also, didn't gene Simmons have something to do with discovering them or something? I was thinking I remember hearing that years ago

What is a "PA"?

As far as Gene Simmons, that's possible. Wasn't that about the time he was a-courtin' Cher, so he would have spent a lot of time in the Hollywood area.

Roths father was a doctor, yes. They used to practice at Roths house early on. There are some pics of the band on the property you can find floating around.

• Like 1

\

What is a "PA"?

As far as Gene Simmons, that's possible. Wasn't that about the time he was a-courtin' Cher, so he would have spent a lot of time in the Hollywood area.

PA = Public Address system

It's the big speakers you see on either side or hanging over the stage. It's what most of the sound comes through at a concert. At large concerts, the instruments are usually run through the PA, where with small concerts a lot of the time it's just used for the vocals.

• Like 1

\

What is a "PA"?

Yeah, he produced a demo tape for them in 76,77. It's refered to as Zero now. Here it is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ODKt0d44jZk

• Like 4

\

What is a "PA"?

Yeah, he produced a demo tape for them in 76,77. It's refered to as Zero now. Here it is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ODKt0d44jZk

Shit, I havnt listened to this in a long time. That version of house of pain is better than the 1984 version.

Gene tried to get them signed, but couldn´t do it...but he helped them put their first demo together, and they have been friends ever since. There´s a rumour that at some point Eddie wanted to disband Van Halen and to join Kiss when they had issues with Ace, but Gene and Paul wouldn´t accept it, because they thought he should give VH another shot.
  • Like 1

I like DLR. For the time he was in the original band, VH made great music and on stage they gave you an exceptional show. Today's DLR? Well that's another story. Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Gene tried to get them signed, but couldn´t do it...but he helped them put their first demo together, and they have been friends ever since. There´s a rumour that at some point Eddie wanted to disband Van Halen and to join Kiss when they had issues with Ace, but Gene and Paul wouldn´t accept it, because they thought he should give VH another shot.

In 1982ish Eddie approached Gene about joining Kiss because of his conflict with Roth. Gene knew that he and Paul wouldn't have the same control over the band with Eddie in it. But I suspect Gene at least thought about it, and thought an EVH type guitarist might help revitalize the band, which is why Creatures, Lick it Up and Animalize sound so updated.

• Like 1

In 1982ish Eddie approached Gene about joining Kiss because of his conflict with Roth. Gene knew that he and Paul wouldn't have the same control over the band with Eddie in it. But I suspect Gene at least thought about it, and thought an EVH type guitarist might help revitalize the band, which is why Creatures, Lick it Up and Animalize sound so updated.

Ironically, I watched the Lick It Up video on youtube. Chicks everywhere and the band sans makeup.

Was there a more ass kicking cover band than Roth era VH? I think not. This ZZ Top cover is smokin.. And watch Roths reaction at about 1:45 ..Eddie kept soloing, Roth was ready to come back in with the vocals.. Hilarious

• Like 1

Was there a more ass kicking cover band than Roth era VH? I think not. This ZZ Top cover is smokin.. And watch Roths reaction at about 1:45 ..Eddie kept soloing, Roth was ready to come back in with the vocals.. Hilarious

http://youtu.be/UXtEUgs89qQ

Nope. It's why Diver Down, probably my least favorite album of the original Roth era, is still better than 90% of all other albums out there.

• Like 3