The Final Battle (Pt. II) - The Best of the Worst a/k/a The Narpsberg Recovery Thread

Lorraine

42 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best of the worst Rush songs?

• Rivendell
    • I Think I'm Going Bald
    • Tears
    • Madrigal
    • Circumstances
    • Different Strings
    • Vital Signs
    • Countdown
    • Red Lenses
    • Emotion Detector
    • Superconductor
    • Face Up
    • Speed of Love
    • Dog Years
    • Out Of The Cradle
    • Bravest Face/Good News First
    • BU2B2

SOOOOO...................CA sucks?

lol

Mick

No. Hemispheres sucks. :P

OK, seriously... no fainting... yet.

You're not into the story line or find the concept silly or something. Whatever...

Sucks? Most every musician on this forum considers this their most masterful piece musically. The musicianship on this album is second to none. Whether you love or hate the words or melody or whatever, he NAILS the vocals.

The beauty of the harmonics Alex's uses, the aggressive bass runs that harmonizes with the guitar... the precision...

I can't tell if you are truly this oblivious to the genius or if you're just f-ing with us at this point?

:eh:

I could've sworn on his recent birthday, he turned 20. If you go to his profile page, he has since lost a few years and is now 16.

What does this have to do with hating Hemispheres? :huh:

Maybe... 16 years old, plays bass... frustrated by Geddy's most challenging work? Could be. Been there... believe me. :blink:

I'm not frustrated by Geddy's most challenging work. I can play YYZ just fine. :P And anyway, the second side of Hemispheres is amazing. But side one is just not my cup of tea.

Edited by Disk98

:popcorn: ...

And this thread is for you!!!!

Ta-DA!!!!!!

Mick

Yes but nothing happened. I thought Kenny was gonna school him... *leavesdisappointed* :)
  • Like 1

He's a hopeless cause, and I think he just likes to needle and provoke anyway. KennyLee has more important fish to fry. :yes:

:yes: he does. He can only pop in from time to time. Just glad he comes around at all... :)
  • Like 2

SOOOOO...................CA sucks?

lol

Mick

No. Hemispheres sucks. :P

OK, seriously... no fainting... yet.

You're not into the story line or find the concept silly or something. Whatever...

Sucks? Most every musician on this forum considers this their most masterful piece musically. The musicianship on this album is second to none. Whether you love or hate the words or melody or whatever, he NAILS the vocals.

The beauty of the harmonics Alex's uses, the aggressive bass runs that harmonizes with the guitar... the precision...

I can't tell if you are truly this oblivious to the genius or if you're just f-ing with us at this point?

:eh:

I could've sworn on his recent birthday, he turned 20. If you go to his profile page, he has since lost a few years and is now 16.

What does this have to do with hating Hemispheres? :huh:

Maybe... 16 years old, plays bass... frustrated by Geddy's most challenging work? Could be. Been there... believe me. :blink:

I'm not frustrated by Geddy's most challenging work. I can play YYZ just fine. :P And anyway, the second side of Hemispheres is amazing. But side one is just not my cup of tea.

"Not my cup of tea" = totally acceptable... well... kinda/sorta acceptable.

"sucks" considering you play bass = you need to talk to someone.

Not even joking, if you can't appreciate this album as a bass player I'm sad to say you chose the wrong instrument.

You don't have to like it but you HAVE TO appreciate side one. It's not an option. The intricacies of his playing on side one, the way he harmonizes the bass with Alex AND his vocals and covers so much ground... it's what bass players aspire to be.

I have more questions than ever now. o.O

• Like 3

He's a hopeless cause, and I think he just likes to needle and provoke anyway. KennyLee has more important fish to fry. :yes:

:yes: he does. He can only pop in from time to time. Just glad he comes around at all... :)

You guys are sweet. :D

• Like 2

This is only my opinion, but I have a hard time trying to comprehend how anyone can listen to Hemispheres and not hear the brilliance. They never were able to do that again. What I should say is not that they were never able to do that again, but that they were never able to reach those heights again.

I'm not a musician, but even I can appreciate it. I listen to some of those chords being played and wonder how they ever came up with them. Alex especially. Those reoccurring notes he plays in Hemispheres are some of the most poignant and emotional he has ever written.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 6

This is only my opinion, but I have a hard time trying to comprehend how anyone can listen to Hemispheres and not hear the brilliance. They never were able to do that again. What I should say is not that they were never able to do that again, but that they were never able to reach those heights again.

I'm not a musician, but even I can appreciate it. I listen to some of those chords being played and wonder how they ever came up with them. Alex especially. Those reoccurring notes he plays in Hemispheres are some of the most poignant and emotional he has ever written.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

Have they not said that they stopped trying to attain the Hemispheres level of music again? That they pushed themselves too hard and they were too burnt out? I recall Ged saying this with respect to both how many dates they were playing a year, and how hard they were pushing themselves in the studio. PeW and MP are great albums, but I will never forget Ged talking so honestly about how they ("tried less hard??") after Hemispheres.

What came after, although great, did not have the soaring ambition and intensity of Hemispheres.

• Like 1

Have they not said that they stopped trying to attain the Hemispheres level of music again? That they pushed themselves too hard and they were too burnt out? I recall Ged saying this with respect to both how many dates they were playing a year, and how hard they were pushing themselves in the studio. PeW and MP are great albums, but I will never forget Ged talking so honestly about how they ("tried less hard??") after Hemispheres.

What came after, although great, did not have the soaring ambition and intensity of Hemispheres.

He said Permanent Waves "was a joy to make". You are very correct those words were never uttered regarding Hemispheres. Quite the opposite...

I never read that. If you can find it and post it here, I would appreciate it.

People here can think whatever what want about my fanship, or lack of, but even I could hear in their music that they never reached those heights again.

• Like 1

You folks who both get and love Hemispheres really get and love Hemispheres. I can't express what it does to me, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one! Cheers to you all (except you sad, sad people who don't dig it - I raise a glass to the hope that you'll get it before the end . . .).
  • Like 2

We need Hemisphere's-themed snacks.

Half a pint, half a devilled egg, and half a cocktail weenie to start.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3

If the anti-hemispheres people ever do get it.......like me........they will forever marvel at the time they bashed it, lol

Mick

So glad you were able to resist the dark side of The Force. ;)

I am proud to have never been anti-Hemispheres!

Edited by Blue J

Let's plan one!

We can start a thread in this section, or in the other one, and we will all listen to Hemispheres at the same time and gush and sputter our praises. :wub: :wub: :wub:

No Hemispheres haters will be allowed though. This would be a thread strictly for those who truly appreciate the brilliance of the album.

What time? And who's bringing what?

LABT has the sporks. But if he tries to foist on us the potato salad fermenting in his fridge from the last TRF shindig, politely decline.

Edited by Lorraine