The Final Battle (Pt. II) - The Best of the Worst a/k/a The Narpsberg Recovery Thread

Lorraine

42 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best of the worst Rush songs?

• Rivendell
    • I Think I'm Going Bald
    • Tears
    • Madrigal
    • Circumstances
    • Different Strings
    • Vital Signs
    • Countdown
    • Red Lenses
    • Emotion Detector
    • Superconductor
    • Face Up
    • Speed of Love
    • Dog Years
    • Out Of The Cradle
    • Bravest Face/Good News First
    • BU2B2

Call it mainstream pop if you want... what does the label matter? Brilliant playing, great theme, amazing melody and precision. The best screeching vocals Ged has ever delivered...

The Rush book I have says that those vocals were a mistake. Geddy had to sing that high 'cause it was too late to change everything.

I don't know about the "theme" because i honestly don't pay any attention to stuff like that, but the album is incredible.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Tis ok Mick. I pretend Permanent Waves came straight after AFTK. Not even kidding, I never play Hems anymore. It went from being one of my favourites to bottom of the pile.

http://media.giphy.com/media/Z5ULYTFVaL2Ok/giphy.gif

Forgive Segue. He is like i was once He will totally Segue on Hemispheres one day Just gotta wait.

Mick

Hems is a mess, and sometimes I think it sounds ugly.

http://media.giphy.com/media/VQnuG9qOQsyCA/giphy.gif

A mess? Ugly?

You're just screwing with me at this point, right?

The weirdest part, and believe me there is a lot of weird to muddle through, is that you're judging based on how 'prog' it is?

Call it mainstream pop if you want... what does the label matter? Brilliant playing, great theme, amazing melody and precision. The best screeching vocals Ged has ever delivered...

Ugh. You may be dead to me.

I am not basing it on how prog it is. I do not think Rush were the best at sidelong epics. Hearing many of the early albums I can discern why critics scoffed at them at times (mostly I think they were wrong). I love the band for everything they have tried, and their work I dislike is in many ways the most fascinating part of their history to me, I love them but that doesn't mean I love every note they have played, or that my tastes measure up to the fans expectations.

Rush sound at times like they are trying to be epic for the sake of epic, and I think that is great, they are hardworking, they push themselves, and they have a huge fanbase that adore them. I for one get that.

But I really do not understand why it needs to be proclaimed by so many here that Hems is an untouchable classic whilst whenever someone says "Presto is great" they get mocked or told they just don't get seventies music, or tripe like that. I think Rush did the right thing quitting the sidelong attempts when they did and the subsequent decade was more consistent for it.

Sorry guys my depression is really bad today and it is making me want to hate on everything.

Tomorrow I will read all this and cringe.

What cheers you up when you get like this? Anything? Or do you have to just wait until it runs its course?

I think i will be better leaving this forum until I am better. It might take hours or days, whichever is best. I get nasty and I would rather keep that private that take it online to bash kind strangers and music I love.

• Like 2

Sorry guys my depression is really bad today and it is making me want to hate on everything.

Tomorrow I will read all this and cringe.

What cheers you up when you get like this? Anything? Or do you have to just wait until it runs its course?

I think i will be better leaving this forum until I am better. It might take hours or days, whichever is best. I get nasty and I would rather keep that private that take it online to bash kind strangers and music I love.

I have days too when everything gets on my nerves. At least you can recognize it, Segue.

But I understand. :hug2: Wish I could help you though in some way.

Edited by Lorraine

Sometimes it's best to just step away from the computer and go do something productive. I understand that completely.
  • Like 1

SOOOOO...................CA sucks?

lol

Mick

I have heard word of such things yes... Overproduction, vocal issues on the DVD etc etc... :huh:

lol

Mick

I have heard word of such things yes... Overproduction, vocal issues on the DVD etc etc... :huh:

I think nick fa-la-la-la-la is deaf. And i blame Rush for NOT LISTENING BACK TO THEIR DAMN PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!

whew......sorry......saw red there, lol

Mick

• Like 4

lol

Mick

I think nick fa-la-la-la-la is deaf. And i blame Rush for NOT LISTENING BACK TO THEIR DAMN PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

I think there is more specifically wrong with it than that if i am not mistaken. And that damn DVD...

lol

Kenneth

lol

Mick

Mick

I think there is more specifically wrong with it than that if i am not mistaken. And that damn DVD...

lol

Kenneth

It's almost as hard to listen to as Vapor Trails. It has a couple of songs that are pretty decent but the rest of it is just ...ugh.

lol

Mick

Mick

lol

Kenneth

It's almost as hard to listen to as Vapor Trails. It has a couple of songs that are pretty decent but the rest of it is just ...ugh.

CA is actually growing on me. Still have to hunt and peck for gems unlike their earlier albums but there is some gold in them thar hills.

• Like 3

lol

Mick

Mick

lol

Kenneth

Just not a fan of that Nick Rumpletzillaskiberg at all...
  • Like 3

Did somebody mention that DVD Rush-Featuring Swiss inspired vocals and a 6 year old child with ADD as editor?????

Masterfully bad.

Mick

Not exactly but... :rfl:
  • Like 1

lol

Mick

Mick

lol

Kenneth

Just not a fan of that Nick Rumpletzillaskiberg at all...

I was so disappointed in the production of CA i thought well maybe when they release the live DVD/CD I'll get some killer sounding versions of the tunes. Inexplicably the live versions sound even worse.

• Like 1

lol

Mick

Mick

lol

Kenneth

CA is actually growing on me. Still have to hunt and peck for gems unlike their earlier albums but there is some gold in them thar hills.

I like four of the songs off the album, but I still think they're overproduced as well. I just can't imagine what they were thinking when they made this album so dense and compressed.

I swear there is no check on these products before they're sent out......because they know Diehards will suck on the milk of paradise from rush's bosom.

like me thinking maybe this'll be better.

STUPID

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I swear there is no check on these products before they're sent out......because they know Diehards will suck on the milk of paradise from rush's bosom.

STUPID

Mick

Well obviously considering how badly the DVD of CA was edited. The sound was horrid as well. It makes you wonder if they just hand these things off to other people and hope they'll do it right or they actually have a hand in any of it. If they actually have a hand in any of it it's pretty shameful. If not, they should be beaten about the ears with a wet noodle for allowing their product to be released that way.

• Like 2

STUPID

Mick

Well obviously considering how badly the DVD of CA was edited. The sound was horrid as well. It makes you wonder if they just hand these things off to other people and hope they'll do it right or they actually have a hand in any of it. If they actually have a hand in any of it it's pretty shameful. If not, they should be beaten about the ears with a wet noodle for allowing their product to be released that way.

And the youngsters wonder why we dig so deep and so far back to find true greatness... :codger:
  • Like 4

STUPID

Mick

And the youngsters wonder why we dig so deep and so far back to find true greatness... :codger:

I agree. Things started going down hill when CDs came out. They compress the sound and make an already overproduced album sound worse.

• Like 2

STUPID

Mick

That's what get's me about die hards........but drooling over everything they are saying yes........we accept mediocrity.

that's how your loud New yorker friend sees it, lol,

Mick

• Like 3

lol

Mick

Mick

lol

Kenneth

I like four of the songs off the album, but I still think they're overproduced as well. I just can't imagine what they were thinking when they made this album so dense and compressed.

Truth. The song writing is good but...

God I miss Broonsy. :(

• Like 2