If Rush actually does a nice portion of 70's songs...

ALifeson85

...BUT, they were all tuned down a step, to make them easier on Ged's voice, would you be up for it??? You figure, that's how they have been playing 2112 for the last 20 years, and nobody has ever complained about THAT - and even Circumstances back in 2007 sounded awesome (imo), tuned down - giving it a heavier sound. So, maybe this time around, they could dust off tunes like Hemispheres (even just the "Prelude"), Something For Nothing, A Farewell to Kings (which would be perfect for this tour)...???

I would up for that!! :yes:

Edited by ALifeson85
  • Like 1

I think most of us would be happy to hear any rarities from the 70s at this point. Downtuning those songs is the only way for them to play them anymore. The big question is how many of those songs will sound good with the downtuning and will they be able to play certain songs without those tunes losing their original identity? Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

The problem I have with the set lists since R30 is they have IGNORED 70s material, outside of 2112, LVS, CTTH and Trees. If they could figure out how to play those 4, there is no reason to not give the 70s a fair portion of the sets.

Saying that, I would love for an extended medleystrumental, pwrhaps one each set, allowing for a little more time on each tune.

And....if they were to sample some vintage LL Cool Ged vocals in the medley, I think the fans will go ape s-/-!

edit...

Those 4 are from the last 3 tours. Of course Circumstances blew away everything else on the 08 tour.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

The problem I have with the set lists since R30 is they have IGNORED 70s material, outside of 2112, LVS, CTTH and Trees. If they could figure out how to play those 4, there is no reason to not give the 70s a fair portion of the sets.

Well, La Villa Strangiato is all instrumental...no vocal struggle for Geddy at all, lol. I'm pretty much just referring to the idea of re-working certain 70's tunes, to where Geddy can sing them easier. It IS amazing though, that they have never down-tuned "Freewill", and Geddy still manages to pull off the "Each of us - a cell of awareness..." section.

Edited by ALifeson85
  • Like 1

I just can't see Geddy compromising the integrity of the music at this point. It would be incredible to hear all of Hemispheres, but if it requires embarrasing himself to pull it off, then no thanks. Besides, that's what David Lee Roth is for.
  • Like 3

I just can't see Geddy compromising the integrity of the music at this point. It would be incredible to hear all of Hemispheres, but if it requires embarrasing himself to pull it off, then no thanks. Besides, that's what David Lee Roth is for.

They pulled off Circumstances in '08, Freewill many times (t/h Lifeson85), Trees a few times. With the addition of an extended medly (love the idea of sampling bits of vintage Geddy in there) its sounding like their best decade will be well represented

Think a lot of you guys fail to realize that tuning down one step is not going to be enough. Tuning down doesn't work a lot of the time anyway because the song sounds like it's dragging. The only real option they might have is if he sings songs down an octave. That's the only way Hemispheres would be able to be played.
  • Like 1

I'd be down for Something for Nothing down tuned a whole step. That'd sound pretty cool, I think.

I would love that as well but I don't think SFN is one of those songs they can pull off with Geddy's vocal limitations now, even with downtuning.

I forget who the interview was with but they said that they rehearsed AFTK for R30 but it was dropped because Geddy was struggling with it vocally. That was over a decade ago and his voice was still solid on that tour. The list of songs from the 70s they can play now is probably even less than it was then.

I've said before that if this is their last tour, it's possible Geddy will just say "to hell with it, i'm not saving my voice for future tours now" and bust out a bunch of 70s stuff. But the reality is, i'm not expecting that much from that era. Hopefully, nobody else is getting their hopes up too high either. Otherwise there is gonna be a lot of bitching (more than normal) on here opening night.

Think a lot of you guys fail to realize that tuning down one step is not going to be enough. Tuning down doesn't work a lot of the time anyway because the song sounds like it's dragging. The only real option they might have is if he sings songs down an octave. That's the only way Hemispheres would be able to be played.

So, were pretty much talking about Geddy singing the 70s stuff in his 80s voice then? Yeah, a lot of that material just won't sound right that way. He could sing it an octave lower but how much impact is taken away from the song by doing that?

Yeah, even though a few people thought that Circumstances sounded darker and heavier, I didn't think it sounded wonderful...yeah, I was glad they played it, but it sounded like it was dragging in the beginning....

The older stuff is a tough call...he DID put some of those tunes in a serious high range!

• Like 1

Yeah, even though a few people thought that Circumstances sounded darker and heavier, I didn't think it sounded wonderful...yeah, I was glad they played it, but it sounded like it was dragging in the beginning....

The older stuff is a tough call...he DID put some of those tunes in a serious high range!

He has trouble with anything out of the normal speaking range anymore. Hemispheres would cause a hernia if he could even do it.

• Like 2

So, were pretty much talking about Geddy singing the 70s stuff in his 80s voice then? Yeah, a lot of that material just won't sound right that way. He could sing it an octave lower but how much impact is taken away from the song by doing that?

Not his 80s voice but his today's voice. There's no way he can reach those notes anymore. It's like asking Yul Brynner to sing Shirley Temple songs. Just isn't going to happen. :LOL:

• Like 1

Not his 80s voice but his today's voice. There's no way he can reach those notes anymore. It's like asking Yul Brynner to sing Shirley Temple songs. Just isn't going to happen. :LOL:

I got no clue who Yul Brynner is so that reference is lost on me :LOL:

Yeah, Geddy singing a bunch of 70s stuff in his current voice just won't happen. They might pull out two surprises from that era maybe three at the most but I don't expect anything more than that.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I think by them saying 'revisiting the 70's' people are putting too much thought into it.

They will be revisiting what they can easily play and more importantly SING.

All Instrumentals are possible.

But vocally most songs from 1973-1979 are still out.

I expect maybe 1 song from that era that is not a regular tour song.

2112/ The Trees/ Working Man/ CTTH are in...everything else is debatable. Let's hope for AFTK or Bangkok

Bangkok, Oriental setting

And the city don't know what the city is getting

The creme de la creme of the chess world

In a show with everything but Yul Brynner

• Like 1

Well Yul Brynner and Shriley Temple are dead...so.

And that matters...why? It was just a reference point.

I got no clue who Yul Brynner is so that reference is lost on me :LOL:

Obviously not a fan of westerns, religious movies or The King and I? :)

• Like 1

Tuning down a step may help some of the 1970's songs, but most of them it won't help a bit. Those said songs that tuning down won't help, I would love to see in an instrumental medley. I thought the R30 medley was cool, and it would be neat to have an R40 medley.

I think they could really make a lot of songs from their self titled debut work really well (Need Some Love, Take a Friend) since they are more R+R/Blues oriented and that would be a lot of fun.

• Like 1

What if they just played some of the tunes with unreachable vocals as instrumentals? And I don't mean as part of medleys.

Geddy could say 'here's one we haven't done in forever and we'd like you to help us out with it.'

Then they could play one of several songs on a nightly rotating basis (Anthem, Fly By Night, Bastille Day, etc.) IN FULL, but without vocals and encourage the audience to sing the words.

Would people enjoy that? I personally listen to Rush more for the music anyway, so I'd be ok if it were just 1 or 2 songs per night.

Love to hear them do a trio-medley of songs from ATWAS (With the raw Atwas sound of course!). It would also be nice to hear musical separation/heterogeniety and strong original "drops" (as in EDM music) instead of a more or less "linear" volume like what they're doing now.