The 2015 Chicago Cubs thread...

Congrats, Cubs! 98 wins for this, sigh.

It really sucks :( I wonder what the highest standing is for a team that missed the postseason?

http://ask.metafilte...t-make-playoffs

Since Divisional play began:

1973 LA Dodgers - 95-66

1974 Cincinnati Reds - 98-64

1977 Texas Rangers - 94-68

1977 Pittsburgh Pirates - 96-66

1977 Boston Red Sox - 97-64

1977 Baltimore Orioles - 97-64

1978 Boston Red Sox - 99-64

1979 Montreal Expos - 95-65

1979 Milwaukee Brewers - 95-66

1980 Baltimore Orioles - 100-62

1982 Baltimore Orioles - 94-68

1985 NY Yankees - 97-64

1985 NY Mets - 98-64

1990 Chicago White Sox - 94-68

1993 SF Giants - 103-59

1999 Cincinnati Reds - 96-67

​Before divisional play...

1. In 1909, the Cubs went 104-49 (.680) but came in second.

2. The 1942 Brooklyn Dodgers went 104-50 (.675) and finished second to the St Louis Cardinals.

3. In the AL, the 1954 Yankees went 103-51 (.669) but finished second to Cleveland.

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 2

It really sucks :( I wonder what the highest standing is for a team that missed the postseason?

Doesn't the wild card count as the post season? It's definitely not part of the regular season.

• Like 1

http://ask.metafilte...t-make-playoffs

Since Divisional play began:

1973 LA Dodgers - 95-66

1974 Cincinnati Reds - 98-64

1977 Texas Rangers - 94-68

1977 Pittsburgh Pirates - 96-66

1977 Boston Red Sox - 97-64

1977 Baltimore Orioles - 97-64

1978 Boston Red Sox - 99-64

1979 Montreal Expos - 95-65

1979 Milwaukee Brewers - 95-66

1980 Baltimore Orioles - 100-62

1982 Baltimore Orioles - 94-68

1985 NY Yankees - 97-64

1985 NY Mets - 98-64

1990 Chicago White Sox - 94-68

1993 SF Giants - 103-59

1999 Cincinnati Reds - 96-67

​Before divisional play...

1. In 1909, the Cubs went 104-49 (.680) but came in second.

2. The 1942 Brooklyn Dodgers went 104-50 (.675) and finished second to the St Louis Cardinals.

3. In the AL, the 1954 Yankees went 103-51 (.669) but finished second to Cleveland.

Only 5 the same or better, and only 2 w better records than PIT this year.

Hated to see either team lose. I like underdog teams, and both squads fit the bill.

I want someone who can beat the f-ing Cardinals :)

Now go beat the Cards!

Please. The only fan that's worse then Cardinals fans are Yankee fans, who, btw, are out too.

Wasn't RNB going to hang out here tonight?

Wonder what happened? Hope he's OK.... :lookofconcern:

• Like 1

How about a Cubs-Blue Jays WS? :)

Sorry, but that is no longer a possibility. Jays were dealt the death card...

SI_Cover_-_Toronto_Blue_Jays.0.jpg

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Clutch double plays every time the pirates started to rally. Arrieta was unbelievably dominate the first 5 innings - he lost a little bit the last few but still good. I hope hes not getting fatigued- hes been throwing a lot of games lately 110+ pitches

Sean Rodriguez is hilarious- he fits every stereotype of the overly emotional latin guy with long hair- he broke his hand on a locker a few years ago.

• Like 1

Clutch double plays every time the pirates started to rally. Arrieta was unbelievably dominate the first 5 innings - he lost a little bit the last few but still good. I hope hes not getting fatigued- hes been throwing a lot of games lately 110+ pitches

Sean Rodriguez is hilarious- he fits every stereotype of the overly emotional latin guy with long hair- he broke his hand on a locker a few years ago.

I don't think he was getting fatigued so much as just giving in a bit to the pressure of the game as well as all the shit that went down after he got plunked. You could tell he was overcome by what happened, which is why he stole a base :LOL:

He pulled it together a bit better towards the last two innings compared to right after he got hit.

• Like 1

I'm just following your lead in the Patriots or Brady threads. I'll step back and then reemerge in a few days denying that the truly Cubs won, and post some tin foil hat theory about how the game was fixed.

The Cards look good this year. You must be excited the Cubs are playing their bitter rivals. It would stink to get knocked off by them.

I'm just following your lead in the Patriots or Brady threads. I'll step back and then reemerge in a few days denying that the truly Cubs won, and post some tin foil hat theory about how the game was fixed.

The Cards look good this year. You must be excited the Cubs are playing their bitter rivals. It would stink to get knocked off by them.

Glad to see I'm in your head. Sorry to see a lawyer dismiss the importance of evidence.

Fortunately, the Cubs have learned from Deflategate and implemented the following steps to head off any similar accusations.

1. Mr. Ricketts was at the game to look Arrieta in the eyes to be assured he didn't cheat.

2. Jake practiced his fake laugh instead of game prep for the inevitable grilling he'll get in WSCR this morning.

3. The Cubs hired an overweight clubhouse guy back in August.

4. Most importantly, AEI filled in the names this morning on the report that it wasn't that Schwarber's bats had too much cork but that McCutcheon's had too little. And the scouring of academia turned up a "long time Pirate fan" who "desperately wanted to believe" the Cubs cheated but is now convinced they are paragons of virtue.

Glad to see I'm in your head. Sorry to see a lawyer dismiss the importance of evidence.

Fortunately, the Cubs have learned from Deflategate and implemented the following steps to head off any similar accusations.

1. Mr. Ricketts was at the game to look Arrieta in the eyes to be assured he didn't cheat.

2. Jake practiced his fake laugh instead of game prep for the inevitable grilling he'll get in WSCR this morning.

4. Most importantly, AEI filled in the names this morning on the report that it wasn't that Schwarber's bats had too much cork but that McCutcheon's had too little. And the scouring of academia turned up a "long time Pirate fan" who "desperately wanted to believe" the Cubs cheated but is now convinced they are paragons of virtue.

The Cubs were corking bats and using drugs illegally to gain a competitive advantage long before the Dolphins chose to pass on drafting Tom Brady several times.

Speaking of being in another's head, aren't you just a teensy bit anxious about how it will feel if the Cubs' season ends at the Cards' hand?

The Cubs were corking bats and using drugs illegally to gain a competitive advantage long before the Dolphins chose to pass on drafting Tom Brady several times.

Speaking of being in another's head, aren't you just a teensy bit anxious about how it will feel if the Cubs' season ends at the Cards' hand?

As long as the Cards don't sign Bucky Dent or Maddon resigns and/or Epstein hires Grady Little, I think we'll be fine.

By the way, the Patriots passed on Brady several times too, which is probably why you worded it the way you did.

I heard Maddon is insisting on TBS showing the Steve Harvey show instead of the first couple of innings of any deciding game.

As long as the Cards don't sign Bucky Dent or Maddon resigns and/or Epstein hires Grady Little, I think we'll be fine.

By the way, the Patriots passed on Brady several times too, which is probably why you worded it the way you did.

I heard Maddon is insisting on TBS showing the Steve Harvey show instead of the first couple of innings of any deciding game.

I missed the Steve Harvey point.

It kills me to root for the Cardinals.

But eventually the Patriots took him. And changed their franchise forever. The Dolphins haven't changed too much SINCE then. That's kind of a bummer, right? Oh well, at least you have the Cubs to support. But I remember what it was like before 2004. So much anxiety over the Sox possibly sh1tting the bed again. I don't miss those days.

You should post pics of the wild card merchandise you picked up after the game last night. I bet it's sweet.

White Sox are soooooooooooooo jealous.

White Sox Bar offering free beer for every Cardinals Home Run hit.

http://bleacherrepor...amming-national

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag153/Freedom80065/irish_zpshpbjulp9.jpg

Okay. This is f***ing funny. I'll give them that.

• Like 3

How about a Cubs-Blue Jays WS? :)

Sorry, but that is no longer a possibility. Jays were dealt the death card...

SI_Cover_-_Toronto_Blue_Jays.0.jpg

Called it. Home team is 0-3 so far.
  • Like 2

But eventually the Patriots took him. And changed their franchise forever. The Dolphins haven't changed too much SINCE then. That's kind of a bummer, right? Oh well, at least you have the Cubs to support. But I remember what it was like before 2004. So much anxiety over the Sox possibly sh1tting the bed again. I don't miss those days.

You should post pics of the wild card merchandise you picked up after the game last night. I bet it's sweet.

Steve Harvey? 2008 Game 7 ALCS. Technical difficulties on TBS. Had to show Steve Harvey Show reruns instead of the first two innings.

No WC merchandise. Sorry. Did you buy anything for back to back last place finishes? Did you buy your son a panda last November?

Steve Harvey? 2008 Game 7 ALCS. Technical difficulties on TBS. Had to show Steve Harvey Show reruns instead of the first two innings.

No WC merchandise. Sorry. Did you buy anything for back to back last place finishes? Did you buy your son a panda last November?

I listened to the game on WEEI. Much better

Are you kidding? My son has 3 Super Bowl Champion t-shirts, 3 World Series Champion t-shirts, 1 NBA Champion t-shirt and 1 Stanley Cup Champion t-shirt, not to mention 2 BC NCAA Frozen Four Champion t-shirts. That's what he's seen in his 12 years of life. How on Earth would we find room for shirts that didn't commemorate winning it all?

I listened to the game on WEEI. Much better

Are you kidding? My son has 3 Super Bowl Champion t-shirts, 3 World Series Champion t-shirts, 1 NBA Champion t-shirt and 1 Stanley Cup Champion t-shirt, not to mention 2 BC NCAA Frozen Four Champion t-shirts. That's what he's seen in his 12 years of life. How on Earth would we find room for shirts that didn't commemorate winning it all?

Well, they did find plenty of room on the earth for all those 19-0 Patriot t-shirts. Mr. Kraft ordered them to lose so they could clothe Africa...what a noble guy!