Alex talks about their rehearsal schedule for the tour.

EagleMoon

I'm kind of impressed with Joe Elliott, whose attention to detail screams actual fan and not just some rock star answering a question for a magazine as part of their press tour.

Xanadu proved popular with Def Leppard singer Joe Elliott too, who told us: “I saw Rush play Xanadu live at their first ever UK gig. This was at the Sheffield City Hall back in 1977. It was the solitary new song they played on that tour, and as I already had the live album All The World's A Stage, which is pretty much what they played, the only thing I wasn’t familiar with. But it stood out as an epic piece. It's 11 minutes long and musically meandering from quiet to very loud all the way through… amazing stuff.”
  • Like 2

Xanadu gets some love as song of the day, as does the entire Kings album: http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-01-08/rush-song-of-the-day-2

Manic Street Preachers!!

I read somewhere a few months ago that Geddy said he doesn't practice his singing when Rush is not "on the job." I don't know if Neil practices the drums, but I do remember him saying a long time ago that if he didn't practice the drums every day, he lost steam and it would be hard to regain it. So, when Alex says "We’re at that stage where we’ve just started playing. You don’t want to hear us.” - I believe him. Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

When the dishwasher falters after an extensive span of time of faithful day-to-day service, doing those dishes by hand seems clumsy and awkward at first. You wonder "how they did thiS back in the day." Day 2 usually shows some steady improvement and decreased anxiety levels. By day 3, you feel like a pioneer again.... Edited by dtpoet

I read somewhere a few months ago that Geddy said he doesn't practice his singing when Rush is not "on the job." I don't know if Neil does, but I do remember him saying a long time ago that if he didn't practice the drums every day, he lost steam and it would be hard to regain it. So, when Alex says "We’re at that stage where we’ve just started playing. You don’t want to hear us.” - I believe him.

If you've read Neil's books, it's pretty obvious that he doesn't play every day. I would imagine he doesn't do it very much unless he's practicing towards something, like a tour or rehearsing to record.

I read somewhere a few months ago that Geddy said he doesn't practice his singing when Rush is not "on the job." I don't know if Neil does, but I do remember him saying a long time ago that if he didn't practice the drums every day, he lost steam and it would be hard to regain it. So, when Alex says "We’re at that stage where we’ve just started playing. You don’t want to hear us.” - I believe him.

If you've read Neil's books, it's pretty obvious that he doesn't play every day. I would imagine he doesn't do it very much unless he's practicing towards something, like a tour or rehearsing to record.

I've wondered how much Neil might play, on his own- if he ever does it at home, just for his own enjoyment, or if he doesn't enjoy it really at all anymore. Obviously, with his devotion to his new family in the past few years, I'm sure that plays a role in keeping him away from it at home, just as it makes him not want to tour anymore.

Whether this coming up is the last tour or not (but especially if it is), I hope they do get some enjoyment out of it. But I suppose we may only know that with the benefit of hindsight, sometime down the line.

• Like 1

Wait... What? When did Neil start singing. I am so confused.

I've wondered how much Neil might play, on his own- if he ever does it at home, just for his own enjoyment, or if he doesn't enjoy it really at all anymore. Obviously, with his devotion to his new family in the past few years, I'm sure that plays a role in keeping him away from it at home, just as it makes him not want to tour anymore.

Whether this coming up is the last tour or not (but especially if it is), I hope they do get some enjoyment out of it. But I suppose we may only know that with the benefit of hindsight, sometime down the line.

It seems that he compartmentalizes the "men at work" and the rest of his life. Which makes a lot of sense to me. I would think at this stage in the game that he wouldn't need to keep at it every day unless he was preparing for something.

Wait... What? When did Neil start singing. I am so confused.

I edited the comment. You are right. It was confusing.

It seems that he compartmentalizes the "men at work" and the rest of his life. Which makes a lot of sense to me. I would think at this stage in the game that he wouldn't need to keep at it every day unless he was preparing for something.

Oh, yeah. Not that he would "need" to. I just wonder if he ever sits down and plays anymore; if it's something from which he gets any enjoyment on his own.

Oh, yeah. Not that he would "need" to. I just wonder if he ever sits down and plays anymore; if it's something from which he gets any enjoyment on his own.

So you wonder if he just does it for fun? Somehow I think he's so busy with his traveling and his family that he probably doesn't much. I somehow can't envision him just sitting down to play along with a recording, but maybe he does.

So you wonder if he just does it for fun? Somehow I think he's so busy with his traveling and his family that he probably doesn't much. I somehow can't envision him just sitting down to play along with a recording, but maybe he does.

How does he keep his arm strength and stamina up then?

Drumming is something that Neil clearly loves doing, he absolutely plays every once on awhile during his off time. Just a couple weeks ago he jammed with Stewart Copeland and Danny Carey
  • Like 1

It looks like Xanadu is almost a definite for R40.

If they really want to play songs that have "reached the audience" they sort of have to

I read somewhere a few months ago that Geddy said he doesn't practice his singing when Rush is not "on the job." I don't know if Neil practices the drums, but I do remember him saying a long time ago that if he didn't practice the drums every day, he lost steam and it would be hard to regain it. So, when Alex says "We’re at that stage where we’ve just started playing. You don’t want to hear us.” - I believe him.

Geddy mentioned on "That Metal Show",

That they are warming up for the up coming tour and email each other about the tunes to be selected. They will get together in April to practice together.

How does he keep his arm strength and stamina up then?

He talks a lot about rowing and cross country skiing etc. I don't know if he lifts weights or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1