Nobody's Hero

cronker

You are aware that meaning behind those lyrics is that even though the person had done good things, all people will remember him for was being gay. And that's exactly what people will remember that individual for no matter how many good deeds he's done because our society is shallow like that.

That is actually probably still true sadly in most cases...

It's only briefly in the first verse where it's implied that it was a gay person Neil is talking about.

Implied? :facepalm:

That's the gripe...the fact that there is no implication, just a clumsy statement of the fact.

You are aware that meaning behind those lyrics is that even though the person had done good things, all people will remember him for was being gay. And that's exactly what people will remember that individual for no matter how many good deeds he's done because our society is shallow like that.

It's only briefly in the first verse where it's implied that it was a gay person Neil is talking about.

That's the gripe...the fact that there is no implication, just a clumsy statement of the fact.

:goodone: ...

When they played that song in concert everyone around me went to go to get a beer or the bathroom .

You sure it wasn't The Speed Of Love?.... :)
  • Like 1

When they played that song in concert everyone around me went to go to get a beer or the bathroom .

Beer break: they wanted to prove they were men

Bathroom break: they went for some quick gay sex

See, this song has everything!

• Like 5

Bathroom break: they went for some quick gay sex

I wanted to post this so bad but I couldn't think of a classy way to do it. Glad you did...

It is not a statement of fact that the guy was gay, but it is exceedingly obvious.

One of the relative high points to an otherwise atrocious album. The lyrics aren't nearly as bad as people say. I find that when there is a word or line that people hate, they often condemn the entire song's lyrics. I think in this case it is merely the word "sexuality". 5 syllables is a lot, and people in 1993 were probably made uncomfortable by its use.

Anyway, I like the song, the lyrics, and the sentiment behind the lyrics.

Suck on that, BowlCity!!

:laughing guy: I've been had!

• Like 1

As we all know this was neither the first nor the last time that Neil grappled with the topic of homosexuality in his lyrics, very well done I might add

I remember one time in high school, my dad borrowed my truck, and I had Counterparts in my CD player. My dad is more of an old school country guy, some classic rock, mainly Skynard, Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker band Etc.

He said "hey, I was listening to that CD in your car"

I said "yeah, what did you think?"

He says "the first song was pretty good, the next two we kinda weird, then on the 4th song, the guy started talking about his sexuality or something, so I turned on the radio"

LOL

• Like 6

I remember one time in high school, my dad borrowed my truck, and I had Counterparts in my CD player. My dad is more of an old school country guy, some classic rock, mainly Skynard, Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker band Etc.

He says "the first song was pretty good, the next two we kinda weird, then on the 4th song, the guy started talking about his sexuality or something, so I turned on the radio"

LOL

:laughing guy: good1 tx....
  • Like 1

LOL

Did he get pulled over by a cop and put on the Vader mask, too?

This is hilarious :LOL:

• Like 2

LOL

Another funny ancedote from my dad, when I started getting into Classic Rock, I would kinda see what he used to listen to. Again, hes more of a southern rock guy, but he did listen to some other stuff too.

I asked his if he listened to Led Zeppelin

"Yeah, they were pretty good, not really my thing. I had on 8 track of them, the one with the little naked kids climbing up the mountain, that one is pretty good"

• Like 5

LOL

Another funny ancedote from my dad, when I started getting into Classic Rock, I would kinda see what he used to listen to. Again, hes more of a southern rock guy, but he did listen to some other stuff too.

"Yeah, they were pretty good, not really my thing. I had on 8 track of them, the one with the little naked kids climbing up the mountain, that one is pretty good"

Which is also their best album :LOL:

• Like 1

LOL

Which is their best album :LOL:

Yes, Houses of the Holy is the best Led Zeppelin Album......................

LOL

f**k-n-a it's pretty good.

• Like 1

Lyrics are words and Words don't make you gay.

Not that's there anything wrong with that.

As a straight man who was finally making friends with people who happen to be gay aboot the time the song came out, I found it spoke to my experience. I was having my mind opened and enjoying being around gay people. Only a few years before they were two demential cartoon characters of my more closed minded high school years. The instrumental tones aside Rush has always been aboot the music and deeper lyrics. Unlike the Hair Metal bands of the day, "yeah baby do me baby" repeat sixty times.

Are you saying 'Unskinny Bop' was not Gay friendly??

Well I like Nobody's Hero, one of my favorites from Counterparts.

The lyrics aren't solely talking about prejudice against homosexuals, more about certain people who perform good deeds or are good natured and don't receive any recognition while celebrities are worshiped for somewhat superficial reasons (well some are anyway).

• Like 3