Somebody please explain why "Roll the Bones" is worth another listen.

toymaker

I cannot, cannot, cannot warm up to this song. I can't help it. I have removed the rap part. It's still not working. The Rush I love is prodigious, bursting, overflowing genius musical enormousness and insane chops, music that's like the best toy you had as a child and music where you focus on the parts and then go "I have to listen again because I didn't give Lee's f***ing insane bass part enough attention that time."

Who likes this song and why? Be philosophical. Explain the appeal to . . . just about anything. While you're at it, give me some good reasons to listen to the following meager offerings. My soul gets nothing from these stunted . . . songs:

Chain Lightning

Second Nature

Hand Over Fist

The Big Wheel

I'll stop there. The list is beginning to bum me out.

Also, I just ate like 80 grams worth of glucose corn syrup and a can of Coke.

Not that I am a huge fan of the record, I would say better than average, better than some of their over synth records.

Two distinct groups of people say it has merit. First Rush, as they routinely played three songs from that disc per tour. That was almost unheard of until the Power Windows Fiasco of 2012, which put thousands of Rush fans to sleep up to three/four nights per week.

Second, Rush fans, seems to be one of their most popular post 1981 records. I'll turn it over to Wikipedia-

. Roll the Bones became Rush's first US Top 5 album since 1981's Moving Pictures, peaking at #3 on the Billboard 200. It also achieved an RIAA certification of platinum, the latest Rush album to date to do so.

Over Synth period attacked...BOOM....

;-)

Edited by Gabrielgil513

I have about as much "fun" listening to the entire Roll The Bones album as I do writing an essay about gender and sexuality (which I am unfortunately doing this semester).

If that wasn't clear, that's not fun.

Just parrot the viewpoint of the professor, throw in a few PC buzzwords, and you'll be fine.

And remember, there is no such thing as too over the top parody in a gender studies class. You'll find the assignment a lot more fun if you work to make your essay as bizarre as possible without the prof knowing you're mocking the subject matter.

The Sokal piece is classic. I love people who argue that physical laws are subjective, culturally-conditioned concepts. Fortunately these people are normally found in classrooms and not in aircraft design. For your assignment (BowlCity), you can also try this,The Postmodern Generator, http://www.elsewhere.../journal/pomo/. It spews out random, meaningless drivel peppered with the right kind of ideological buzzwords and fawning references to recognized Leftist thinkers. Again, the result is absolutely meaningless but that will be ok, even preferable, you just have to conclude your essay with anything that affirms your professor's views (likely damning the patriarchal cultural hegemony of classical Western thought while affirming the corresponding need for new and radical cultural paradigms which challenge the domination and victimization dynamic flowing necessarily from scientific/philosophical claims of truth and objectivity). Good luck, sounds like a truly awful undertaking. I expect your values and self-worth will have to take a shower afterwards. In solidarity! (that last bit is a joke)

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

I have about as much "fun" listening to the entire Roll The Bones album as I do writing an essay about gender and sexuality (which I am unfortunately doing this semester).

If that wasn't clear, that's not fun.

Just parrot the viewpoint of the professor, throw in a few PC buzzwords, and you'll be fine.

And remember, there is no such thing as too over the top parody in a gender studies class. You'll find the assignment a lot more fun if you work to make your essay as bizarre as possible without the prof knowing you're mocking the subject matter.

The Sokal piece is classic. I love people who argue that physical laws are subjective, culturally-conditioned concepts. Fortunately these people are normally found in classrooms and not in aircraft design. For your assignment (BowlCity), you can also try this,The Postmodern Generator, http://www.elsewhere.../journal/pomo/. It spews out random, meaningless drivel peppered with the right kind of ideological buzzwords and fawning references to recognized Leftist thinkers. Again, the result is absolutely meaningless but that will be ok, even preferable, you just have to conclude your essay with anything that affirms your professor's views (likely damning the patriarchal cultural hegemony of classical Western thought while affirming the corresponding need for new and radical cultural paradigms which challenge the domination and victimization dynamic flowing necessarily from scientific/philosophical claims of truth and objectivity). Good luck, sounds like a truly awful undertaking. I expect your values and self-worth will have to take a shower afterwards. In solidarity! (that last bit is a joke)

Thanks for sharing this...I know what I'll be doing today...

"Roll the Bones became Rush's first US Top 5 album since 1981's Moving Pictures, peaking at #3 on the Billboard 200. It also achieved an RIAA certification of platinum, the latest Rush album to date to do so."

I neither like or hate RTB album so I don't really care much about this argument, but I've always assumed that RTB sold well because it had some singles that got attention; a lot of those people who bought the album might have simply been encouraged by those singles but found the overall package disappointing. I know I've bought albums by groups I wasn't too familiar with because of a single or two only to be disappointed by the whole. As a result, I didn't buy follow-up albums by those groups. A better indication of how much people liked RTB might be the initial sales of Counterparts. Maybe they were good, I don't know, but I would think that would be a better indication of how much people liked RTB than actual RTB sales. Hardcore Rush fans are always going to buy the albums (heck, I even own PoW through CP); the difference in sales from album to album is made up of the casual listener, obviously. By that measure it makes sense that RTB sold well as it had successful singles. Again, doesn't mean people thought the album was all that good. Maybe they did though.

• Like 1

"Roll the Bones became Rush's first US Top 5 album since 1981's Moving Pictures, peaking at #3 on the Billboard 200. It also achieved an RIAA certification of platinum, the latest Rush album to date to do so."

I neither like or hate RTB album so I don't really care much about this argument, but I've always assumed that RTB sold well because it had some singles that got attention; a lot of those people who bought the album might have simply been encouraged by those singles but found the overall package disappointing. I know I've bought albums by groups I wasn't too familiar with because of a single or two only to be disappointed by the whole. As a result, I didn't buy follow-up albums by those groups. A better indication of how much people liked RTB might be the initial sales of Counterparts. Maybe they were good, I don't know, but I would think that would be a better indication of how much people liked RTB than actual RTB sales. Hardcore Rush fans are always going to buy the albums (heck, I even own PoW through CP); the difference in sales from album to album is made up of the casual listener, obviously. By that measure it makes sense that RTB sold well as it had successful singles. Again, doesn't mean people thought the album was all that good. Maybe they did though.

I'll add the wiki blurb about CP below, it is very similar to the RTB wiki and matches how I recall experiencing that early 90s era. In no way do I recall this was remotely possible that it was flukey singles driven. Fans were stoked to hear the guitar sound prominent again. In a big way.

When the keys retreat the bass explodes. Take a listen to the bass on Dreamline and compare that to the synth era. That's power rock trio at its best, and fundamentally, that is what Rush is, without question. Not to mention his singing on that tune, among the best in his career.

I think this forum is very cool, but it's extremely surprising to me how popular the over synth PoW period is here and how the amount of CP and RTB haters. Not that those are my fave Rush albums, but I clearly recall fans frustrated at shows and declining enthusiasm during the PoW / HYF stretch and big excitement as they pushed the keys back and moved towards their 70s guitar driven sound with CP and RTB. Guitar Rush vs Synth Rush, I thought was no contest, both from revisiting these albums lately and experiencing the era at the shows and on the radio.

They played five NYC area arena shows for RTB in NYC, I can't recall that for any other tour, and all five were tough tickets. (I was at all five!!)

Counterparts is the fifteenth studio album by Canadian rock band Rush, released on October 19, 1993. It became the band's highest charting album in the US, peaking at #2 on the Billboard 200 (only behind Pearl Jam's Vs.).[2] 19 years later, Rush would later debut at #2 on the Billboard 200 again, with the release of 2012's Clockwork Angels. Atlantic Records has claimed that the album went platinum, although the RIAA has it listed as gold.

Roll the Bones is the fourteenth studio album by Canadian rock band Rush, released in 1991. The album won the 1992 Juno Award for best album cover design. Roll the Bones became Rush's first US Top 5 album since 1981's Moving Pictures, peaking at #3 on the Billboard 200. It also achieved an RIAA certification of platinum, the latest Rush album to date to do so.

"It became the band's highest charting album in the US, peaking at #2 on the Billboard 200"

Sh*t, I had no idea. In '93 I was still neck deep in Nirvana and My Bloody Valentine and wouldn't have been surprised to learn that Rush was recording polka (with the Shmenge Brothers maybe?). Your return-to-guitar theory makes sense to me. While I don't think much of RTB and CP, I far prefer them to PoW and HYF, even while acknowledging that PoW and HYF was good synth-pop, whereas CP didn't hold up well to good guitar rock of its era, IMO. Still, I prefer mediocre guitar rock to good synth music, with few exceptions (Organization by OMD is a classic, for one). I wouldn't miss PoW or HYF if they disappeared, with the curious exception of High Water :) .

"It became the band's highest charting album in the US, peaking at #2 on the Billboard 200"

Sh*t, I had no idea. In '93 I was still neck deep in Nirvana and My Bloody Valentine and wouldn't have been surprised to learn that Rush was recording polka (with the Shmenge Brothers maybe?). Your return-to-guitar theory makes sense to me. While I don't think much of RTB and CP, I far prefer them to PoW and HYF, even while acknowledging that PoW and HYF was good synth-pop, whereas CP didn't hold up well to good guitar rock of its era, IMO. Still, I prefer mediocre guitar rock to good synth music, with few exceptions (Organization by OMD is a classic, for one). I wouldn't miss PoW or HYF if they disappeared, with the curious exception of High Water :) .

I was also knee deep in Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and AIC at the time...

What made early 90s Rush so interesting was that it seemed to fit in and be influenced by the Seattle scene. With the guitar it seems the focus was driving hard rock rhythm, less on the hooky synth melodies, but to me that harkened back to the 70s. How Rush albums flow into the next one other stylistically are important in context, and the changes are interesting. Strength of songs seems less important due to their virtuosity...the synths tend to hide a lot of their playing while the guitar albums tend to shine a spotlight on guitar and bass. (The drums are always prevalent!)

I am a fan of all their albums, appreciated the synth period for the good tunes it generated, but grew tired of struggling to hear the bass and guitar. RTB and CP were a return to more of their fundamental influences.

I was also knee deep in Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and AIC at the time...

What made early 90s Rush so interesting was that it seemed to fit in and be influenced by the Seattle scene. With the guitar it seems the focus was driving hard rock rhythm, less on the hooky synth melodies, but to me that harkened back to the 70s. How Rush albums flow into the next one other stylistically are important in context, and the changes are interesting. Strength of songs seems less important due to their virtuosity...the synths tend to hide a lot of their playing while the guitar albums tend to shine a spotlight on guitar and bass. (The drums are always prevalent!)

I am a fan of all their albums, appreciated the synth period for the good tunes it generated, but grew tired of struggling to hear the bass and guitar. RTB and CP were a return to more of their fundamental influences.

Rush ALWAYS rode the zeitgeist to inspiration. Whether it be hard rock, prog rock, new wave, grunge, etc.

This thread has done exactly what I hoped it would do - give me a whole bunch of different perspectives. Thanks, everyone!
  • Like 1

I cannot, cannot, cannot warm up to this song. I can't help it. I have removed the rap part. It's still not working. The Rush I love is prodigious, bursting, overflowing genius musical enormousness and insane chops, music that's like the best toy you had as a child and music where you focus on the parts and then go "I have to listen again because I didn't give Lee's f***ing insane bass part enough attention that time."

Who likes this song and why? Be philosophical. Explain the appeal to . . . just about anything. While you're at it, give me some good reasons to listen to the following meager offerings. My soul gets nothing from these stunted . . . songs:

Chain Lightning

Second Nature

Hand Over Fist

The Big Wheel

Go listen to Second Nature for the lyrics and try to take something from it. Everyone should!

• Like 1

I removed the rap, and I like the tune much better now. I wonder if part of what I didn't like about the song was that sort of awful anticipation of what was to come . . . I wonder how the audience would react if they played the song without the rap? I wonder how many people find it charming?

Prog rock high horse...you folks gotta stop making me spit out my water!

Glad you see a little RTB light. Got a little confused reading the older thread, but got me thinking why I like the tune, so let's give it a go...The albums not in my top 10, it ain't H, but some songs are decent. Regarding the song, I was going to say-

Excellent Lifeson riffing in the opening.

Great bass playing and sound.

Song recording is crisp. The keys are segregated and not brick walling. (On CA, the keys are all over the place, drowning out our beloved power trio, for example).

Great crescendo dynamic. Fun lyrics.

Short, but great guitar solo, yes...it leads into the rap. This was the tail end of Alex' dynamic soloing (how did Grohl put it?)

Also, One of Neil's best lines-

Fate is just the weight of circumstances

See, I had to get the big H in there!

• Like 1

Why are we here?

..because we're here now roll the dice and take a chance because nothing is set in stone.

That ain't so bad is it? The song isn't meant to be stairway to heaven or anything..

• Like 2

Chain Lightning

Second Nature

Hand Over Fist

The Big Wheel

Go listen to Second Nature for the lyrics and try to take something from it. Everyone should!

Okay, yeah yeah, lyrics and all that . . . but where the hell is Lifeson on this song? Oh there he is . . . oh, he's gone again. He's back for like 14 seconds!

Geez. He could have stayed home that day.

Is this possibly the Rush song that has the least guitar in it??

Chain Lightning

Second Nature

Hand Over Fist

The Big Wheel

Okay, yeah yeah, lyrics and all that . . . but where the hell is Lifeson on this song? Oh there he is . . . oh, he's gone again. He's back for like 14 seconds!

Geez. He could have stayed home that day.

Is this possibly the Rush song that has the least guitar in it??

That's actually a good description of Alex's role in the band during that time.."ok guys, where do you want me..??"

Chain Lightning

Second Nature

Hand Over Fist

The Big Wheel

I think Second Nature is great. It only took me 27 years to listen to it. I always thought Mission was my favorite off of HYF but I was wrong for a long long time...

Chain Lightning

Second Nature

Hand Over Fist

The Big Wheel

I think Second Nature is great. It only took me 27 years to listen to it. I always thought Mission was my favorite off of HYF but I was wrong for a long long time...

Second Nature and Mission were products of their time. A time when Muzak was riding high with their traditional business. Mission and Second Nature fit in perfectly too.

• Like 1

Friggin' Priests of the Temple all over again. We have no need for ancient ways . . . put that guitar away and pick up a keyboard! Rush had to re-discover the ancient miracle.
  • Like 3