What would the new Rush R40 (2015) Stage Set-up....

BlairC45

To be serious for a second, what do you guys think they could do to top the last tour? After bringing out an orchestra on the road, they have to do something pretty amazing. I'm sure there's going to be some pressure there.

The thing is, it can't be topped. So maybe that's what prompted the mention of (if I recall correctly) the streamlined set.

I'm not so sure it can't be topped. Maybe not in the same way, but maybe if they did something different. I think if they bring out a bunch of obscure songs that people have been wanting to hear it would get close.

True. I meant the on-stage stuff couldn't be topped, not the setlist.

Dear Rush,

I challenge you to put together an R40 setlist that blows CA's out of the water!*

Love,

x1yyz

*according to me

• Like 2

To be serious for a second, what do you guys think they could do to top the last tour? After bringing out an orchestra on the road, they have to do something pretty amazing. I'm sure there's going to be some pressure there.

The thing is, it can't be topped. So maybe that's what prompted the mention of (if I recall correctly) the streamlined set.

It's going to be stripped down. This tour is about the music.

The 3 of them making music.

Who else wants the lame Green Lasers from the GUP tour besides me???

• Like 4

I loved the lasers. :)

• Like 2

If they play Red Sector A....I want friggin' lasers...I'll cut them some slack on the sharks.

• Like 1

Multiple Lerxst Omega Stacks behind Alex and multiple Orange Stacks behind Geddy. Old school. Most of the cabinets could probably be empty for easy transport. I think it would look killer, especially since Neil will only being using an acoustic drum set.
  • Like 1

I was trying to think what would be the right shape for behind Geddy. They haven't done a refrigerator, though they did have the snack machines.

What would really be awesome would be if they came out all old school with the Ampegs and Hiwatts, but that would just be wishful thinking.

They did a fridge actually, on the Test for Echo Tour. That was the first thing Geddy put behind him instead of amps.

Yes, they used a fridge on the T4E tour. During that tour in Nashville, my daughter drew a picture for Alex and during the break, she was able to get security let her set it up on the edge of the stage on Alex's side (she was 5). Alex discovered it during Natural Science. When Alex discovered it, he looked at it, then bent down and looked closer. We had the very end seats in the fifth row and Sam was standing in front of me watching him look at it. When he the stood up, he was grinning ear to ear. He looked out in the audience in our direction and I was standing their pointing down at her head. He saw her and mouthed "Is that from you?" And motioned her up to the edge of the stage (it was the far left wing of the stage where there is no barrier). Sam went up there and watched him play for a minute while he was telling her thank you. He then tossed her down his pick, told her bye, looked at me and smiled, then went back to center stage. It was cool to watch. A few minutes later, a guy comes up to her and hands her a set of Neil's sticks. At the end of the show he came over to our side of the stage and waved by to her. It was our second show in 2 days on that tour. We did a road trip to Cincinnati to see them there with an old friend of mine. The next day we drove with my friend to the Nashville show. She made the drawing for Alex on the drive to Nashville. The drawing was put on the side of refrigerator until the end of the show. It was a great trip. Seems like it was yesterday to me. Now she is in grad school and we are still excited about going to Rush shows together. Who would have thought...

Edited by johndyar
  • Like 8

I was trying to think what would be the right shape for behind Geddy. They haven't done a refrigerator, though they did have the snack machines.

What would really be awesome would be if they came out all old school with the Ampegs and Hiwatts, but that would just be wishful thinking.

They did a fridge actually, on the Test for Echo Tour. That was the first thing Geddy put behind him instead of amps.

Yes, they used a fridge on the T4E tour. During that tour in Nashville, my daughter drew a picture for Alex and during the break, she was able to get security let her set it up on the edge of the stage on Alex's side (she was 5). Alex discovered it during Natural Science. When Alex discovered it, he looked at it, then bent down and looked closer. We had the very end seats in the fifth row and Sam was standing in front of me watching him look at it. When he the stood up, he was grinning ear to ear. He looked out in the audience in our direction and I was standing their pointing down at her head. He saw her and mouthed "Is that from you?" And motioned her up to the edge of the stage (it was the far left wing of the stage where there is no barrier). Sam went up there and watched him play for a minute while he was telling her thank you. He then tossed her down his pick, told her bye, looked at me and smiled, then went back to center stage. It was cool to watch. A few minutes later, a guy comes up to her and hands her a set of Neil's sticks. At the end of the show he came over to our side of the stage and waved by to her. It was our second show in 2 days on that tour. We did a road trip to Cincinnati to see them there with an old friend of mine. The next day we drove with my friend to the Nashville show. She made the drawing for Alex on the drive to Nashville. The drawing was put on the side of refrigerator until the end of the show. It was a great trip. Seems like it was yesterday to me. Now she is in grad school and we are still going to Rush shows together. I never thought...

That's awesome! :)

If they play Red Sector A....

Noooo! Not again!
  • Like 1

Just don't do a Stonehenge stage prop ;)

But if you do happen to make sure the setting is small enough to get in the hall and big enough so the dwarfs don't trod upon it. Or at least keep thendwarf clear. Which leads me to the obvious question. Are we going to play Stonehenge tomorrow?

• Like 1

If they play Red Sector A....I want friggin' lasers...I'll cut them some slack on the sharks.

Honestly, if this is going to be their last big outing. I would like them to revisit all of their previous concerts. Bring back the:

Satellite Dishes with Lasers, Bring Back the Inflatable Rabbits, the Dragon spewing fire, Washing Machines, Rotisserie Ovens, Steam Punk Popocorn, Bring it all back and have it setup around the stage like some modern Exit Stage Left album. Bring it all back including some classic videos (Count Floyd and others). That's what I would want.

• Like 3

Since it's a tour based on history rather than supporting a new album I expect logos and imagery from the past. The Starman, Owl, Girl with Slit Skirt, Crown, Moving Crew, Rabbit, Dice, etc... They've already said they're planning some kind of journey through time. Wouldn't be surprised if they break out the kimonos.
  • Like 5

Neil's not trying to top his SnA kit, instead he went another way and built a simpler kit out of 1500 year old wood. I'm sure the whole band is in line with this thinking.. I expect something different as opposed to "topping the last tour" as a subtle hint to their retirement. It will be unexpected and amazing I'm sure of that!

• Like 1

Neil's not trying to top his SnA kit, instead he went another way and built a simpler kit out of 1500 year old wood. I'm sure the whole band is in line with this thinking.. I expect something different as opposed to "topping the last tour" as a subtle hint to their retirement. It will be unexpected and amazing I'm sure of that!

It would totally make sense if they went completely basic after the last tour. There's not much they could do to top having an orchestra, so maybe the thinking is that they won't even try. I'm sure there will be a lot of fans who would just enjoy a straightahead rock show without all the bells and whistles.

• Like 2

It would totally make sense if they went completely basic after the last tour. There's not much they could do to top having an orchestra, so maybe the thinking is that they won't even try. I'm sure there will be a lot of fans who would just enjoy a straightahead rock show without all the bells and whistles.

..and keyboards :P

That too. :)

That too. :)

The simpler the better! (in most cases) LOL

• Like 1

Since it's a tour based on history rather than supporting a new album I expect logos and imagery from the past. The Starman, Owl, Girl with Slit Skirt, Crown, Moving Crew, Rabbit, Dice, etc... They've already said they're planning some kind of journey through time. Wouldn't be surprised if they break out the kimonos.

Hope they use lots of outer space stuff..