Should Rush release a re-mastered version of "Exit...Stage Left"?

ALifeson85

Don't care about the audience but would die for a sound which sounded more like ATWAS. I don't care how artificial the process just make it sound better, the material deserves it. I'd buy a less-muddied version it in a second. I'll buy two to make a point. Of all their releases this is the one whose production begs to be improved, even more than VT IMO. When you listen to ESL next to any other Rush recording it sounds like someone threw a blanket over the speakers. Certainly hope the master tapes aren't gone; I thought studios stored these those things in large temp/humidity-controlled rooms as a standard practice.

Point of order: the 2112 Deluxe Edition from a couple years ago includes "Overture/Temples" live from two different shows on the Canadian leg of the tour. Evidence that the multi-tracks do still exist.

I really hope they release those shows. And I really prefer the sound on that version of the live Overture/Temples than anything from ESL.

Until they do I have an "expanded" version of ESL which is the regular album in setlist order with some of the missing songs from the ESL video, and the tracks from the "2112" remaster, and the live "Vital Signs" B-side. It only lacks Hemispheres (Prelude)/Beneath Between and Behind, The Camera Eye, Natural Science, and the Working Man and Hemispheres (Armageddon) bits at the beginning of the medley from official sources. So it's about 3/4's representative of the actual set.

Of course, I'd be much happier with an official release from one show (among other things there are slight differences in the sound/mastering of each of the sources).

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 1

I remember when The Beatles masters were resurrected to make CDs they had been allowed to deteriorate almost to the point where they would have been unsalvageable. But they were able to save them. I would think that would have taught other archivists to store masters more carefully, but who knows.

Point of order: the 2112 Deluxe Edition from a couple years ago includes "Overture/Temples" live from two different shows on the Canadian leg of the tour. Evidence that the multi-tracks do still exist.

I really hope they release those shows. And I really prefer the sound on that version of the live Overture/Temples than anything from ESL.

Until they do I have an "expanded" version of ESL which is the regular album in setlist order with some of the missing songs from the ESL video, and the tracks from the "2112" remaster, and the live "Vital Signs" B-side. It only lacks Hemispheres (Prelude)/Beneath Between and Behind, The Camera Eye, Natural Science, and the Working Man and Hemispheres (Armageddon) bits at the beginning of the medley from official sources. So it's about 3/4's representative of the actual set.

Of course, I'd be much happier with an official release from one show (among other things there are slight differences in the sound/mastering of each of the sources).

I'd like to think that, if they have the master recordings, the shows are complete. If that is the case, they should release the entire ESL show, including the otherwise missing songs you mentioned. If they're gonna do it, why not do it right?

• Like 1

I'm a long time RUSH fan and go back a long way. I remember something about the ESL album was the first live album by anyone to be digitally mastered. Everyone at the time said it would sound differently on radio. Can anyone else confirm this? If it was digitally mastered, shouldn't they last a long time?

The aspects of ESL that "haunt" Geddy could not be corrected through a mere process of remastering. The audience, or lack thereof, and the polished nature of the recordings is a mixing and overdubbing problem. It would require a much more rigorous intervention to fix the problems Geddy and some Rush fans have with it.

That said, this isn't unprecedented for Rush. After all, they did remix Vapor Trails.

Do we know that for sure, though? Were the shows recorded with no ambiance mics placed around the room? I just kinda always assumed the sterile sound was a product of the studio. Maybe it was just wishful thinking.

That said...if the original recordings do exist and can be remastered to sound live...I'd absolutely buy it!! Til then, I'll just keep listening to my Anaheim bootlegs!!

Yes, I'm sure they do have an audience track(s). But you cannot simply add those in during remastering. That's not how mastering works, or what mastering is as a process. Putting the audience track back in would require a remix. So too would removing or altering some of the overdubs that contribute to its polished sheen, and detract from its raw potential.

A remix is a much more involved process. It would take more time, money, and energy. So the band would have to collectively care about this as much as they did Vapor Trails, for example, or devoting their time to developing new material.

And then, if they did remix it, they would have to remaster it again too, as the standard process dictates.

I dunno..."haunted" is a pretty strong word. I realize Geddy can only speak for himself, but I don't see why a complete remix/remaster couldn't theoretically happen.

Yes, yes, I agree that it is within the realm of possibility. All I am trying to explain is that what Geddy and some fans are bothered by is not something that can be fixed through remastering. It would require an altogether different process.

• Like 1

I'm a long time RUSH fan and go back a long way. I remember something about the ESL album was the first live album by anyone to be digitally mastered. Everyone at the time said it would sound differently on radio. Can anyone else confirm this? If it was digitally mastered, shouldn't they last a long time?

There is a distinction between studio (or in this case live, partially) master tracks and mixdown masters. The mastered final mixes, which were used to actually press vinyl, cassettes, compact discs, eight-tracks, etc. are not the same thing as the actual master tapes that captured the live recording. The greater concern is whether or not those are still in good condition and appropriately preserved. The digital master you are referring to is the product of mixed-down tracks initially captured on analog tape.

i would have liked it if they took off la villa, and added limelight and vital signs... and had geddys banter way more up front and only had fade outs and fade ins on the end and beginning of record.. Edited by nicky6

i would have liked it if they took off la villa, and added limelight and vital signs

???

Frickin' La Villa frickin' Strangifrickinato? Take it off? Noooononononononononono.

• Like 1

Would rather have a cleaned up, official Anaheim 81 release.

I'd have to listen to it again to be sure, but I don't think the performance on that is as good as some of the others although it does sound pretty good. I have a soft spot for that Chicago show. As I recall Hartford is nothing to sneeze at either although it was the "Exit.." Tour

Remaster? No...re-MIX is in order for that! Hopefully some day they decided to just re-release all of the old tape that's probably sitting somewhere with a good re-mix...even stuff that wasn't "good enough for the album"

Rush said way back when the box set thing was getting popular that they won't release a true box-set until they call it quits....but also that there aren't many "demos" or unreleased songs sitting around...I'm hoping for live stuff!

• Like 1

Don't care about the audience but would die for a sound which sounded more like ATWAS. I don't care how artificial the process just make it sound better, the material deserves it. I'd buy a less-muddied version it in a second. I'll buy two to make a point. Of all their releases this is the one whose production begs to be improved, even more than VT IMO. When you listen to ESL next to any other Rush recording it sounds like someone threw a blanket over the speakers. Certainly hope the master tapes aren't gone; I thought studios stored these those things in large temp/humidity-controlled rooms as a standard practice.

The master tapes are probably sitting on a shelf somewhere no one knows. If they surface it will be by pure luck and coincidence.

Or maybe they're (management and record label) just waiting for the right time to do it.

The master tapes are probably sitting on a shelf somewhere no one knows. If they surface it will be by pure luck and coincidence.

Or maybe they're (management and record label) just waiting for the right time to do it.

I don't doubt the tape still exist,. as do live tapes that they had made for different reasons, or their copy of something recorded for a radio broadcast, etc. Was just looking for something related to the Hammersmith show that was included in Different Stages, and read that Geddy actually found the tapes to THAT show when they were either moving tape in a studio, or he was moving...two different versions so far... So I'd be willing to bet that stuff exists...

Also wondering if the engineer's kept their 2-tracks (and eventually DAT's) rolling while they were working in the studio...most have stuff rolling in case they want to listen to some noodling in between takes...I heard some great stuff my Recording III prof had from when he worked for Billy Joel! Dirty jokes, "Ok, I'm sick of this sh*t...someone order a God d*mn pizza" and stuff like that. It was stuff that the engineer usually either took home, or recorded over if they didn't care...He kept all of his stuff and said he had a whole rack of stuff from his days.

But I'd love to hear those tapes...

I'm listening to the 1980 St. Louis show (St. Louis '80 - RE), and if only ESL sounded like this. I honestly think this show is the best sounding live Rush recording EVER. If only it had the rest of the set. :'(
  • Like 1

I'm listening to the 1980 St. Louis show (St. Louis '80 - RE), and if only ESL sounded like this. I honestly think this show is the best sounding live Rush recording EVER. If only it had the rest of the set. :'(

What's interesting is that I just read that an "import" is available called "Spirit of the Airwaves" of this show.....and that there's another one coming out of the Electric Lady studio performance in the same "spirit" of the "Rush ABC 1974 Live" release..

I have a silver of Spirit of St. Louis, and a copy of St. Louis '80-RE show as well...

i would have liked it if they took off la villa, and added limelight and vital signs

???

Frickin' La Villa frickin' Strangifrickinato? Take it off? Noooononononononononono.

Agreed 100%. To me that is the definitive version of La Villa. No way I'd want that removed!

If the multi-track masters still exist (which I doubt for some reason), then clean up the mud, bring the audience back in, and add any missing tracks that exist. As someone else said, I'd buy it twice if they released it!

What's interesting is that I just read that an "import" is available called "Spirit of the Airwaves" of this show.....and that there's another one coming out of the Electric Lady studio performance in the same "spirit" of the "Rush ABC 1974 Live" release..

I have a silver of Spirit of St. Louis, and a copy of St. Louis '80-RE show as well...

I may be interested in the Electric LadyLand gig depending on the source and the bonus audio of the Kirschner videos.