Anyone getting caress of steel vinyl on tuesday?

nicky6

I've been thinking about these reissues, because (and I'm ashamed to say) I don't have any Rush on vinyl. But do I spring for the new 200g versions, or do I just go on eBay and see what I can find used, for hopefully less money?

i wonder how much better or diffrent it is compared to the original??

I said it before, I think it is more of a sentimental value. I dont think there is really too much of a difference

A friend who's an audiophile with a very nice/expensive system has the original FBN and the re-release and said that if you've got the equipment there is definitely a difference between the two. He said it like it's a no-brainer. It's an audiophile grade pressing after all.

As well, he pointed out, If you've got a $200 system you're not going to hear a difference.

• Like 1

As much as I think I nice new copy of the vinyl would be good to have, I don't think I'm going to shell out the cash for these reissues. What I would spend money on is more 5.1 mixes of certain albums. I like the Sectors DVD-As - Fly By Night, A Farewell to Kings, and Signals - and I like the Moving Pictures one. I'm not crazy about the 2112 and Snakes 5.1 mixes. But I would love to hear hemispheres and Permanent Waves in 5.1, and Caress of Steel, too. Of course, this isn't the thread to go on and on about these.

rutle fan, so yuor friend is saying the new ones the way to go??

Yes definitely, if you've the equipment and the ear to appreciate the difference. For me, I don't know about the ear but I definitely don't have the equipment so I have no plans as I've the originals (I have a modest direct drive turntable and a $30 cartridge so that alone would make the higher fidelity vinyl pointless, according to my friend). As well, the hisses and pops have a sentimental value so I don't mind them. Music without them still sounds a little odd to me, though I do admit that before CDs came out I bought a second copy of all the Rush albums from AFTK through MP that I have never played so that I would always have a perfect copy (you can't have too many pictures of naked guys standing on brains laying around the house after all -- just joking).

Edited by Rutlefan

I've been thinking about these reissues, because (and I'm ashamed to say) I don't have any Rush on vinyl. But do I spring for the new 200g versions, or do I just go on eBay and see what I can find used, for hopefully less money?

I'd buy the new one. You get a spanking new vinyl no one has ever played so no wear and tear.

• Like 2

^ if I had the equipment to take advantage of them I would get these. I'll probably buy ATWAS through MP anyway for that time, maybe years from now, I might have the right equipment. Once they are sold out and you have to buy them from the flippers you'll have to pay through the nose.

As an aside, I'm listening to side 3 of ESL right now and I don't think I'll ever get tired of this stuff. Have been putting together a career-spanning Radiohead playlist on my daily driver's hard drive the last few days, but when I got home and wondered what to listen to while I have a New Castle Brown Ale and ponder happily that I don't have to go to work tomorrow, I went to classic Rush. Doesn't get any better. Someday these lps will be expensive. Get them now if you think you'll ever want them.

Edited by Rutlefan

I'm sorry I ever let my albums go. These reissues are nice, but there is nothing like the originals.

I think it's more sentimental value. As long as they're mastered from the same source (as they are), and have the same weight, one wouldn't discern any difference sound wise.

Just my humble opinion :)

I admit that when it comes to Rush on vinyl, I'm a completist. Having original copies of the entire catalog, I enjoy the nostalgia of pulling out my original and smelling the mustiness, hearing the crackle, and thinking back to when these discs were all you could buy. I started buying the remasters, including the first two, to mainly accent my collection; and I admit, the new stuff sounds good. Louder and more pronounced. Not necessarily better...just different. The real tests on the audio comparison will come when the early-80s stuff comes back out, like Signals and GuP. I'm really curious about Power Windows though. Not bass-heavy AT ALL (same could be said for GuP and Presto of course) so I'll be interested to see if the remaster has a bit more bottom end. All in all...for lovers of vinyl and of Rush, these are great opportunities to gather high quality pieces of our favourite band. Here's hoping they don't stop at ASOH and continue into the 90s with the reissues.

I'm sorry I ever let my albums go. These reissues are nice, but there is nothing like the originals.

I think it's more sentimental value. As long as they're mastered from the same source (as they are), and have the same weight, one wouldn't discern any difference sound wise.

Just my humble opinion :)

Sure, there is sentiment attached to the idea of holding on to an original. That's a part of why it sounds the best, too, for most people who have held on to them.