"The Stranger" And "52nd Street" Are Two Of The Greatest Albums In The World!

RUSHHEAD666

Absolutely agree. The Stranger is arguably his greatest album (I would argue that it is, anyway), and I remember when 52nd Street came out- I was five years old, and my parents bought it new...I thought Big Shot was the heaviest thing I'd ever hear Do! (And at age five, it probably was). I used to jump around the living room, jump up in the air off the couch and so forth, just going crazy listening to it.

Big Shot was pure metal!!! Or so it seemed for a kid raised on Carpenters and Ferrante and Teicher.

I agree! Duck should like this factoid! Billy Joel started a band in 1970 called ATILLA! They put out one album and it totally flopped! Critics called it one of the worst albums ever made in the world!

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0003/338/MI0003338328.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Best Joel album cover ever!!!!

Edited by goose

RE: Attila

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine [-]

Many critics, fans, and college students have spent hours debating the serious question of what the worst album in the history of rock actually is. One listen to Attila would provide them with a definitive answer. Attila undoubtedly is the worst album released in the history of rock & roll -- hell, the history of recorded music itself. There have been many bad ideas in rock, but none match the colossal stupidity of Attila. There's a reason why they're the only heavy rock organ-and-drums duo in the history of rock & roll -- it's an atrocious combination. Organ and drum combos work well in jazz, because the musicians know how to balance the dynamics of the two instruments, but in this group of Huns, it becomes an unbearable, unholy noise. Billy Joel decided that the only way a keyboardist could compete with the guitarists popping up in Hendrix's wake was to rig his organ with piles of effects pedals, Leslie organs, distortion, and wah-wah -- and use them all at once while he yells, not sings, and Jon Small flails away haplessly at his drums. It's impossible to make out the riffs, since the organ just sounds like a wall of white noise, and there are no melodies, only shouting. Everything is turned to 11 -- because it's one louder than ten, innit? -- and even when the group tries out a different, slower style, it still sounds the same, because the instrumentation, attack, and effects never change. By the end of the album, it feels as if a drill has punctured the center of your skull -- it's that piercing, painful, and monotonous. Joel has gone on record describing the results as "psychedelic bullsh*t." Remove the word "psychedelic" and you have an accurate description of the album. [by the way, Joel and Small are dressed as Huns on the cover. For some reason, they're standing in a meat locker. It's as if the duo unconsciously knew they were creating the most ridiculous album package in rock & roll history.]

All kneel and behold the epicness that is...

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

1. "Wonder Woman" (

)

2. "California Flash" (

)

3. "Revenge is Sweet" (

) "Now I turn around and kick your faces in!!!!!" :laughing guy:

4. "Amplifier Fire (Part I: Godzilla/Part II: March Of The Huns)" (

) :LOL:

5. "Rollin' Home" (

)

6. "Tear This Castle Down" (

)

7. "Holy Moses" (

)

8. "Brain Invasion" (

) :eyeroll:

All songs written by Billy Joel and Jon Small.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

All kneel and behold the epicness that is...

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

1. "Wonder Woman" (

)

2. "California Flash" (

)

3. "Revenge is Sweet" (

) "Now I turn around and kick your faces in!!!!!" :laughing guy:

4. "Amplifier Fire (Part I: Godzilla/Part II: March Of The Huns)" (

) :LOL:

5. "Rollin' Home" (

)

6. "Tear This Castle Down" (

)

7. "Holy Moses" (

)

8. "Brain Invasion" (

) :eyeroll:

All songs written by Billy Joel and Jon Small.

Fukk!!! I LIKE IT!

• Like 1

Listening to the 30th Anniversary Box Set of "The Stranger." Absolutely incredible. There is even a small booklet of Billy's original lyric note pad.

Going to Watch The Last Show At Shea tonight on blu-ray!

Billy is the MAN!

I remember reading a story about Billy when he was a fuckingg waste case. When he ran out of booze and drugs he would drink furniture polish to get high.

I'm surprised he's still alive.

It's amazing how Christie fell for him. It's amazing how Billy let her get away. Heck they even have a beautiful daughter together.

Love waits for no one.

Love is an illusion of forever.

Love is a verb.

Love is a clever word for never.

-Me

• Like 1

Holy shit! I just looked at Billy's set list! "Scenes" is in it! "Zanzibar" too!! FUKK!

Scenes is always in his set. It's a live staple for him and it's very rare to see a set without it. The song should never be dropped anyways. Zanzibar is one of those deep cuts he rotates in and out with some other songs but it has become a somewhat regular song for him the last few years. He just needs to bring Angry Young Man back to the set.

His best material no doubt was was from Turnstiles through The Nylon Curtain but The Stranger and 52nd Street are the two perfect albums in the middle of that run. There's no way I can ever get tired of listening to them even with all the big overplayed hits on them. It just shows how great those songs are that i'm not even bored of any of the hits on either of them. My favorites off The Stranger are the title track, Scenes From An Italian Restaurant and Only The Good Die Young. Off 52nd Street, My Life, Zanzibar and Stiletto. I think Stiletto is really underrated, i'm not sure if anyone likes it as much as I do or not.

• Like 2

Holy shit! I just looked at Billy's set list! "Scenes" is in it! "Zanzibar" too!! FUKK!

Scenes is always in his set. It's a live staple for him and it's very rare to see a set without it. The song should never be dropped anyways. Zanzibar is one of those deep cuts he rotates in and out with some other songs but it has become a somewhat regular song for him the last few years. He just needs to bring Angry Young Man back to the set.

His best material no doubt was was from Turnstiles through The Nylon Curtain but The Stranger and 52nd Street are the two perfect albums in the middle of that run. There's no way I can ever get tired of listening to them even with all the big overplayed hits on them. It just shows how great those songs are that i'm not even bored of any of the hits on either of them. My favorites off The Stranger are the title track, Scenes From An Italian Restaurant and Only The Good Die Young. Off 52nd Street, My Life, Zanzibar and Stiletto. I think Stiletto is really underrated, i'm not sure if anyone likes it as much as I do or not.

Damn dude! You know your shit! I'm with you! I love Stiletto! Also love "Vienna." Oh and a deep cut for me would be "Rosalinda's Eyes!"

Damn dude! You know your shit! I'm with you! I love Stiletto! Also love "Vienna." Oh and a deep cut for me would be "Rosalinda's Eyes!"

The only cut I don't like is Half a Mile Away. Aside

From that its a top

Album.

The only cut I don't like is Half a Mile Away. Aside

From that its a top

Album.

I can understand that. Pure Pop.

My son loves the song All For Leyna on Glass Houses. One day he was playing and he started singing it. Stop!!! Kidding myself wasting my tiiiiime. I was like. Wha??

Anorher time i was borrowing my dads truck and we were listening to Zanzibar and he said. Wait. This is an old mans car. You are drivng an old mans car.

• Like 1

My son loves the song All For Leyna on Glass Houses. One day he was playing and he started singing it. Stop!!! Kidding myself wasting my tiiiiime. I was like. Wha??

Anorher time i was borrowing my dads truck and we were listening to Zanzibar and he said. Wait. This is an old mans car. You are drivng an old mans car.

I love All For Leyna!!!

Zanzibar is one of Billy's best songs EVER!! I LOVE IT!

Songs In the Attic

Easily my favorite from Billy, as it has all the great early tracks but recorded with the passion of live performance. Earl gave props to Liberty DeVito...listen to this live collection and you'll hear why they're well-deserved.

The best Billy of all, not a bad song.

Edited by greg2112
  • Like 1