Jacob's Ladder

Lorraine

Listening to the version on the Something Old, Something New bootleg from the MP warm-up tour, and damn Alex is playing the hell out of that guitar in the solo.

EDIT: Thanks YouTube!

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 1

Listening to the version on the Something Old, Something New bootleg from the MP warm-up tour, and damn Alex is playing the hell out of that guitar in the solo.

What is the date of that show, do you know?

Edit- Never mind, I just looked at the link- I have that show!

:)

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

EDIT: Thanks YouTube!

I was watching Grace under Pressure Tour this morning and thought the same thing. He played his heart out on that guitar. He gave it all he had.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I love Jacob's Ladder - a Top 5 Rush song for me ........ My 3rd concert as a kid was the Palladium - May 9th 1980 in NYC - and all these years later I still gets chills thinking of the atmosphere, esp during this song
  • Like 3

Now I have been listening to both Jacob´s Ladder (from Exit... Stage Left) and Natural Science (from Snakes & Arrows Live) and I must say that I don´t get it...

On Natural Science you can hear the audience singing along with the song and really enjoying it. It´s a true live song and the guitar and drums are just awesome! While Jacob´s Ladder is just... well to be honest, kinda boring live....

I feel that way about a lot of those slower "They should play this live..." songs. Jacob's Ladder, Losing It, Different Strings... I love those songs, but live they are a buzzkill.

I posted this in another thread back in January.

(1) IT IS A CLASSIC

Every tour, JL is among those songs that fns most anticipate seeing. Arenas around the country will explode upon the first few notes. For the diehard pre-Signals crowd, this epic will bring euphoria like no other. Without doubt, JL will be one of the most memorable moments from the show.

(2) EASY ON GEDDY'S VOCALS

Facts can not deny that our "heroes" are now in their sixties. While their physical skills are still way beyond those of their contemporaries, the grind of a tour wears quicker on the body than in the past. Jacob's Ladder is over seven minutes long, yet it is mostly instrumental. This will allow Geddy's vocals to rest a bit.

In addition, the vocals are sung in a lower key than most the songs from that era. With the limited vocals contained within the song and since it is sung in a lower register, one can argue that Jacob's Ladder is the best candidate to be performed from the pre-Signals era.

(3) BREAKS WITHIN THE INSTRUMENTAL FOR NEIL AND ALEX

Along same lines as (2) above, there is a section of the song of a little over a minute (3:49 - 4:54 on the recorded version) where it is mainly Geddy playing keyboards and singing ("All at once the clouds are parted. Light streams down in bright, unbroken beams"). While Alex and Neil still may have parts within that section, it is minimal as far as pounding drums or playing notes on the guitar. This offers both of them an opportunity of a break within the song. These breaks within songs are extremely rare for any other Rush song especially the length such a break would involve.

(4) SOME EASIER BASS SECTIONS FOR GEDDY

While the bass does have it moments during Jacon's Ladder, there are at least a couple of sections when the bass is carrying the rhythm only. With the addition of keyboard only sections, this gives Geddy a bit of break.

(5) OPPORTUNITY FOR NEW AND CREATIVE LIGHT.VIDEO SHOW

Setlists from tour to tour contain many of the same songs. That is all well and good as some are classics, but usually the same video/light show goes along with those songs. Jacon's Ladder offers the part of teh team and chance to create something spectacular and memorable. For example, there can be lighting to resemble to thunder at the beginning sections. There can be bright beams oflight to resemble sunlight in the middle section. There can be maybe video to show "man" reflecting upon the "heavens". IDK. I'm just offering up something new and different. Use your own imagination. Maybe the during the "bright, unbroken beams", the audience can cast smartphone flashlight beams in sync from upward descending down toward the stage.

• Like 1

I love Jacob's Ladder - a Top 5 Rush song for me ........ My 3rd concert as a kid was the Palladium - May 9th 1980 in NYC - and all these years later I still gets chills thinking of the atmosphere, esp during this song

I can imagine. Very fortunate you.

And The Palladium. That's a blast from the past for sure. :cheers:

• Like 1

Awesome. Of all the Rush shows I wish Id gone to, that 1980 Palladium run is tops on the list. Was born a few years too late (my first show was 82 at the Garden).

Edited by greg2112

Has anyone heard the soundboard bootleg from Poughkeepsie (1/26/80) version of Jacob's Ladder?

If not, try to find it and listen to it. Put your headphones on and put it up loud. You are in for a real treat. It's phenomenal.

• Like 2

I have it...IIRC it's only a partial show.haven't heard it in a while, but it's one of the better ones from that era...might have to seek it out and check it out..I think it's one I didn't print off artwork for, so it's in one of my folders (or on a dedicated spindle)
  • Like 1

Yeeeeaaaaaahhhh!

toymaker, have you heard it? It's unbelievable!!

Yup, on youtube. Jacob's Ladder is the first song.

• Like 1

I have it...IIRC it's only a partial show.haven't heard it in a while, but it's one of the better ones from that era...might have to seek it out and check it out..I think it's one I didn't print off artwork for, so it's in one of my folders (or on a dedicated spindle)

It is a partial show and that's a real shame.

Listen to LaVilla too from it. Unbelievable!!!

I have SO MUCH Rush, that I forget what's good, and what's not...I just checked the DRE, and I didn't have a review up on it...may have gotten this one after my crazy trading daze.... I used to take them to work, play them in my computer, then write reviews up on company time!

Had one of my bosses wander by and later on go "what were you writing?" I told her I was revising some procedure stuff that I wanted to submit to them....(then I had to REALLY do it! hahaha)

Ok, just found it...sticking it in my car to re-check out!

The cream of the crop bootlegs ought to be isolated from the others and put on something. I don't have any computer knowledge or expertise, so I have no idea what that "something" would be. Poughkeepsie would certainly be one of them. It's better than the album version of the song.

The cream of the crop bootlegs ought to be isolated from the others and put on something. I don't have any computer knowledge or expertise, so I have no idea what that "something" would be. Poughkeepsie would certainly be one of them. It's better than the album version of the song.

Mmmm, well, now, I don't know. Lee's a bit sharp on "clouds" in the first line; the guitar solo is not quite as slick; there are a few boo-boos . . . but it does have great energy.

Mmmm, well, now, I don't know. Lee's a bit sharp on "clouds" in the first line; the guitar solo is not quite as slick; there are a few boo-boos . . . but it does have great energy.

I will listen to it again to catch what you think is defective about it. I think I interpreted the "boo-boos" as a new touch to the song. :laughing guy:

Toymaker, it must have been wonderful being in the audience that night!!!

When Geddy starts playing that synthesizer...... :wub:

It's almost over and I haven't noticed any boo-boos, but then I'm not a musician. I love how Geddy sang it.

When you have the time, maybe you can tell me where they went off.

There WAS a time, but no more... Anything that I really dug I knew to grab in a pinch (Pink Pop, Black Forest, Cygnus Gold, Timeless Wavelength, Feverish Flux, Mystic Dreams, Majestic Symphony, etc.) But there are other ones that are sort of obscure that I forget about (like this one)

Toymaker, it must have been wonderful being in the audience that night!!!

When Geddy starts playing that synthesizer...... :wub:

It's almost over and I haven't noticed any boo-boos, but then I'm not a musician. I love how Geddy sang it.

When you have the time, maybe you can tell me where they went off.

I'm going to do the headphones thing, like you recommended.

Has anyone heard the soundboard bootleg from Poughkeepsie (1/26/80) version of Jacob's Ladder?

If not, try to find it and listen to it. Put your headphones on and put it up loud. You are in for a real treat. It's phenomenal.

I just happen to have found it on YouTube last weekend. Listened to all that was there, but it was only about a 45-minute segment. But it did include Jacob's Ladder.

Does anyone have the complete show?

I just happen to have found it on YouTube last weekend. Listened to all that was there, but it was only about a 45-minute segment. But it did include Jacob's Ladder.

Does anyone have the complete show?

i think Zumbi told me it is out there. I'll go check the post he mentions it.