Jacob's Ladder

Lorraine

You can thank Toymaker for the thread:

We should talk about Jacob's Ladder.

I think it's fantastic. I'm always amazed by how three guys can take one riff and make it interesting because of what's going on around it. Peart really shines in this tune because of his parts, and I like the simple synthesizer part that comes in as well. I also think the sound of the instruments, including those synthesizers, is very very cool. Lifeson's guitar parts in the first section, along with the solo, are amazing. I like the vocal, too. The vocal melody climbs and then widens. It's a great headphones tune.

Has there been a thread about Jacob's Ladder? I wouldn't mind reading what people had to say about it. If there hasn't been one, I think it deserves special attention, at least because there's a divided response about it...

I don´t see the big thing with this song... to me Natural Science is ten times better.

Maybe so, but infinity divided by 10 is still infinity.

• Like 6

I prefer Natural Science by quite a bit. Having said that I do like Jacob's Ladder. Just goes to show how great Natural Science is in my view...
  • Like 1

I prefer Natural Science by quite a bit. Having said that I do like Jacob's Ladder. Just goes to show how great Natural Science is in my view...

That's kind of what I just said, without the pesky math.

:)

I don´t see the big thing with this song... to me Natural Science is ten times better.

This coming from the guy who wants Rush to play every shitty song they ever did on the next tour.

This isn't a "Jacobs Ladder vs. Natural Science" thread, Numbi. This is a thread about Jacob's Ladder. Normally you don't have any problems praising any Rush song. Are you just choosing to be a dink here?

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 6

This coming from the guy who wants Rush to play every shitty song they ever did on the next next.

This isn't a "Jacobs Ladder vs. Natural Science" thread, Numbi. This is a thread about Jacob's Ladder. Normally you don't have any problems praising and Rush song. Are you just choosing to be a dink here?

Thank you, Dr. Cooper.

This coming from the guy who wants Rush to play every shitty song they ever did on the next next.

This isn't a "Jacobs Ladder vs. Natural Science" thread, Numbi. This is a thread about Jacob's Ladder. Normally you don't have any problems praising and Rush song. Are you just choosing to be a dink here?

Fuuck you, ok? I don´t want Rush to play every song they have made. Just please leave this forum, it would be a lot better place whitout you....

Fuuck you, ok? I don´t want Rush to play every song they have made. Just please leave this forum, it would be a lot better place whitout you....

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/ae24068a6b48a24b6f95e59c7605aec5_zpsykydoffv.jpg

• Like 7

Now, to the thread topic!

I absolutely love Jacob's Ladder. Whether just listening to it, playing along with it, or especially driving. It is a magnificent driving song, especially if you find yourself headed into a thunder storm. It creates an atmospheric mood perhaps better than any other Rush song (and that is saying something.) I would be very surprised, and very disappointed, if they didn't bring this one out for this tour. Apparently they planned to play it on the S&A tour, but it got left off at the last minute. Maybe someone knows more about this?

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 6

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/ae24068a6b48a24b6f95e59c7605aec5_zpsykydoffv.jpg

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/353/279/e31.jpg

Edited by LittleRushmonkey
  • Like 6

I absolutely love Jacob's Ladder. Whether just listening to it, playing along with it, or especially driving. It is a magnificent driving song, especially if you find yourself headed into a thunder storm. It creates an atmospheric mood perhaps better than any other Rush song (and that is saying something.) I would be very surprised, and very disappointed, if they didn't bring this one out for this tour. Apparently they planned to play it on the S&Z tour, but it got left off at the last minute. Maybe someone knows more about this?

It makes sense just for giving Lee a bit of a break. No deadly high notes, not a lot of singing at all, really.

I absolutely love Jacob's Ladder. Whether just listening to it, playing along with it, or especially driving. It is a magnificent driving song, especially if you find yourself headed into a thunder storm. It creates an atmospheric mood perhaps better than any other Rush song (and that is saying something.) I would be very surprised, and very disappointed, if they didn't bring this one out for this tour. Apparently they planned to play it on the S&Z tour, but it got left off at the last minute. Maybe someone knows more about this?

S&Z Tour?

I can think of what S&Z could stand for but it would be redundant, so that's probably not it.

• Like 1

Better in what way?

In creating an atmosphere? :no:

In nuanced musicianship? :no:

In subtle poetic imagery? :no:

In epic jams? :yes: :haz:

It makes sense just for giving Lee a bit of a break. No deadly high notes, not a lot of singing at all, really.

Definitely not a tough one for him to sing. It would even be cool if he used a bit of auto-tune during the interlude section when he sings along with the keyboards.

Or maybe not.

:LOL:

But don't you think it doesn't even really sound like them musically?

But don't you think it doesn't even really sound like them musically?

Now here I disagree. I think it is completely like them taking their odd time signatures and arpeggios out to a pleasant extreme.

• Like 2