Steely Dan

Lorraine

I believe Gaucho was the one that came right after Aja, even though it took them three years. Came out in 1980. You may/probably know Babylon Sisters and Hey Nineteen, which are both on it.

After Gaucho, they didn't release a new studio album for 20 more years. To be totally honest, I haven't heard any of the 21st century Dan (I think there have been three albums of new material in that time frame, but I could be wrong).

Gaucho is definitely recommended, though.

Edit: I had to think about it a minute or two after I posted. You were just saying anything other than Aja, weren't you, rather than anything else that came after it, specifically. If that's the case, then I'd recommend (in this order):

1. The Royal Scam (it's just 100% funky pop goodness)

2. Can't Buy a Thrill

3. Countdown to Ecstasy

4. Pretzel Logic

5. Katy Lied

6. Gaucho

Two through six, there, are all in chronological order.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

I believe Gaucho was the one that came right after Aja, even though it took them three years. Came out in 1980. You may/probably know Babylon Sisters and Hey Nineteen, which are both on it.

After Gaucho, they didn't release a new studio album for 20 more years. To be totally honest, I haven't heard any of the 21st century Dan (I think there have been three albums of new material in that time frame, but I could be wrong).

Gaucho is definitely recommended, though.

Edit: I had to think about it a minute or two after I posted. You were just saying anything other than Aja, weren't you, rather than anything else that came after it, specifically. If that's the case, then I'd recommend (in this order):

1. The Royal Scam (it's just 100% funky pop goodness)

2. Can't Buy a Thrill

3. Countdown to Ecstasy

4. Pretzel Logic

5. Katy Lied

6. Gaucho

Two through six, there, are all in chronological order.

This is where i wold go too. Forget the 2 recent ones this is what you what.

Mick

Just a question for the expert panel here at the TRF. I obviously grew up in the "Steely Dan" era all the way from Rikki Don't Loose That Number and beyond. Hearing all of their early stuff on my transistor radio :sigh: :codger: . Just curious beyond Aja if I was to pick up another vinyl or two which should be first, second etc. The older I have gotten and with my son being the sax player/musician he is and hearing all that jazz over the years my appreciation has grown for the band. Thanks in advance...

Two Against Nature (2000) is excellent. Here's he full album...

Two Against Nature is Dan defined. The album mixes world-class chops and jazzy, postgraduate soul sound with some wonderful, vague storytelling (sample simile: "sizzling like an isotope"). As always in Steely Dan's marvelously impressionistic world, we often don't know what the hell the people in the songs are actually doing, but we're pretty damn certain that they shouldn't be doing it at all. Still, what makes Two Against Nature work isn't its cerebral ellipticity but its stunning musical clarity. That's all the more impressive because the album is less a summit of super sessioneers (... la the group's past efforts) than it is a showcase for what Steely Dan's core twosome can do — reluctant guitar god Becker remains a fluid, precise player, while Fagen covers the keyboard waterfront with a variety of jazz and R&B styles. Also shining are the assorted drummers, including Vinnie Caliuto, Ricky Lawson and particularly the great Sonny Emory.

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Time for some pulledoutofahat SD lyrics:

Is there gas in the car?

Yes, there's gas in the caaaaar!

:laughing guy:

On that second "caaaaar", the high note that he's singing does make me crack up, just a little bit. :D

• Like 1

Love em to death

You really can't go wrong with any of these

Countdown to Ecstasy

Pretzel Logic

Katy Lied

Royal Scam

Aja

I even like Gaucho.....even though that's rated lower.

Top 10 band for sure.

Mick

Mick, I never knew until today you liked them.

Where's Troutman? I have to wheedle him for the other CDs........

I fell for them later in my music life. Like 19. Donald Fagen just captivated me.....such a quirky cool guy. And Becker. Stone cold nerds, lol. Especially when they talk.

Mick

I liked them in the seventies - Pretzel Logic and Aja. But it wasn't until about 1988 that I got into their other albums. Every day on the commute to and from Manhattan, I used to listen to them on my walkman.

The only time I ever got into an argument with anyone about a band was about Steely Dan when this jazz musician that I knew said to me, when I told him how much I liked them, that Steely Dan pulled their lyrics out of a hat. I laugh at it now, but I got so mad at the time. :laughing guy:

Interesting,

Thats why I love them. Off the wall lyrics and the music is a perfect fit. :D

• Like 1

Time for some pulledoutofahat SD lyrics:

Is there gas in the car?

Yes, there's gas in the caaaaar!

:laughing guy:

On that second "caaaaar", the high note that he's singing does make me crack up, just a little bit. :D

I know. I often get the impression when I listen to him sing that the whole thing is farcical. He knows he's singing nonsense, but it all works for them.

• Like 1

Love em to death

Countdown to Ecstasy

Pretzel Logic

Katy Lied

Royal Scam

Aja

Top 10 band for sure.

Mick

I fell for them later in my music life. Like 19. Donald Fagen just captivated me.....such a quirky cool guy. And Becker. Stone cold nerds, lol. Especially when they talk.

Mick

I liked them in the seventies - Pretzel Logic and Aja. But it wasn't until about 1988 that I got into their other albums. Every day on the commute to and from Manhattan, I used to listen to them on my walkman.

The only time I ever got into an argument with anyone about a band was about Steely Dan when this jazz musician that I knew said to me, when I told him how much I liked them, that Steely Dan pulled their lyrics out of a hat. I laugh at it now, but I got so mad at the time. :laughing guy:

Interesting,

It is. It's refreshing that they didn't attempt to be profound. :LOL:

• Like 1

Love em to death

Countdown to Ecstasy

Pretzel Logic

Katy Lied

Royal Scam

Aja

Top 10 band for sure.

Mick

Mick

Interesting,

Its like they just pull the stuff out of a hat and go with it. :D

When driving to go fishing Steely Dan is my number one choice.

I think their sense of humor, or their sense of not taking themselves so seriously, at least, is not unlike Rush's. I'd be interested to know what kind of lyrics Geddy and Alex would write if Neil were not the lyricist.

But as far as the Dan...they have really poignant lyrics stand out to me just as much as the goofy ones.

"This is the night of the expanding man

I take one last drag

As I approach the stand

I cried when I wrote this song

Sue me if I play too long

This brother is free

I'll be what I want to be

I learned to work the saxophone

I play just what I feel

Drink scotch whiskey all night long

And die behind the wheel

They've got a name for the winners in the world

I want a name when I lose

They call Alabama the Crimson Tide

Call me Deacon Blues..."

Pure urban poetry.

• Like 3

I think their sense of humor, or their sense of not taking themselves so seriously, at least, is not unlike Rush's. I'd be interested to know what kind of lyrics Geddy and Alex would write if Neil were not the lyricist.

But as far as the Dan...they have really poignant lyrics stand out to me just as much as the goofy ones.

I take one last drag

As I approach the stand

This brother is free

I play just what I feel

And die behind the wheel

Call me Deacon Blues..."

Pure urban poetry.

Yeah,

Plus there music is so relaxing and perfect when you don't to want to hear heavier music.

Love em to death

Countdown to Ecstasy

Pretzel Logic

Katy Lied

Royal Scam

Aja

Top 10 band for sure.

Mick

Mick

Interesting,

I prefer clever to profound. It's rock and roll, after all.

Steely Dan fits that bill perfectly.

• Like 1

I take one last drag

As I approach the stand

This brother is free

I play just what I feel

And die behind the wheel

Call me Deacon Blues..."

Pure urban poetry.

Dog Years would make a great Steely song, lyrically.

Aja is the only one I've owned. Never really heard any of the others.

Damn girl,

Your slacking off! :LOL:

Wasn't really my type of music when I was younger. I was more of a hard rock kinda gal. :D

• Like 1

Damn girl,

Wasn't really my type of music when I was younger. I was more of a hard rock kinda gal. :D

If you like Steely Dan,

You really need to check out the stuff before Aja.

Damn girl,

If you like Steely Dan,

Anything you suggest?

Damn girl,

If you like Steely Dan,

Aja they really smoothed out.

Pre-Aja stuff is more raw when you compare it to Aja, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Damn girl,

If you like Steely Dan,

Anything you suggest?

See my reply to Narpet earlier today, when he asked the same thing, basically. If you just want to go with one, make it The Royal Scam.