Steely Dan

Lorraine

Or because he likes Toto, Toto and IV are the slkiy smooth pop albums while Hydra and Kingdom are the cool rockin ones.

Hey i like Toto....but the Dan are better all around.

Mick

:whip:

You know i love Toto.....but Toto doesn't hold a candle to the Dan. I have to shoot straight, lol

Mick

I shall never break.........MILES better.

Just cause you don't see it yet don't mean it ain't true, lol

Mick

I like Toto,

But they are not even in the same league! :cool:

Toto are nowhere near capable of the exquisite arrangements the Dan put together.

Mick

Tis all good...I agree after listeneing to katy lied.

I just wanted to whip ya

Devo? :huh: :P

• Like 1

Or because he likes Toto, Toto and IV are the slkiy smooth pop albums while Hydra and Kingdom are the cool rockin ones.

Hey i like Toto....but the Dan are better all around.

Mick

You know i love Toto.....but Toto doesn't hold a candle to the Dan. I have to shoot straight, lol

Mick

I shall never break.........MILES better.

Just cause you don't see it yet don't mean it ain't true, lol

Mick

I like Toto,

But they are not even in the same league! :cool:

Toto are nowhere near capable of the exquisite arrangements the Dan put together.

Mick

Tis all good...I agree after listeneing to katy lied.

I just wanted to whip ya

Devo? :huh: :P

Stones.
  • Like 1

I can't get over how hard Bernard Purdie swings on Home at Last! He even has that beat named after him in certain circles- the Purdie Shuffle! It's soooo insanely good on this song!!

I'm sorry, it's just...I'm a drummer, and I get a little excited about these kinds of things.

• Like 2

I can't get over how hard Bernard Purdie swings on Home at Last! He even has that beat named after him in certain circles- the Purdie Shuffle! It's soooo insanely good on this song!!

I'm sorry, it's just...I'm a drummer, and I get a little excited about these kinds of things.

what a friggin' groove on that tune.......i'm not a drummer but i know awesome, lol

Mick

• Like 1

what a friggin' groove on that tune.......i'm not a drummer but i know awesome, lol

Mick

YES! You can hear it, can't you?

• Like 1

Mick

YES! You can hear it, can't you?

that's drum part is so smooth and cool.

it puts a big grin on my face.

Mick

• Like 1

Peg is another Aja song that just floors me- just a ridiculously catchy pop song- can't help but listen to it with smile. I can't, at least.

Also, that song reminds me of my mother, when she was younger. Her name isn't Peg, hahahaha...but because she was a model.

• Like 2

Peg is another Aja song that just floors me- just a ridiculously catchy pop song- can't help but listen to it with smile. I can't, at least.

Also, that song reminds me of my mother, when she was younger. Her name isn't Peg, hahahaha...but because she was a model.

And when i first heard that song i said that sounds like the guy from what A Fool Believes in the chorus.

Lo and behold.......Michael Mcdonald, lol

Mick

Last week Pretzel Logic arrived. I was struck by the sound of the recording - the fullness and clarity. i hate the word "awesome", but I can't think of a better one at the moment to describe the sound of the album. After listening to PL, I popped in The Police's Synchronicity. Compared to PL, it was woefully lacking.

I think Rush, if they ever do another album, ought to get Gary Katz out of retirement.

• Like 2

I listened to Pretzel Logic on vinyl last week, and had a similar reaction to the sound of it.

I hadn't heard Any Major Dude Will Tell You for years. I guess that's true of several other songs on that album, too, but anyway...it was so nice.

I'm wondering - is it so hard to make an album sound like that today? Maybe things were a lot better when equipment wasn't so sophisticated and digital.

I read an interesting interview with Gary Katz that I found on the internet last week. He doesn't have many good things to say about how the music business has devolved into just that - a business.

I'm wondering - is it so hard to make an album sound like that today? Maybe things were a lot better when equipment wasn't so sophisticated and digital.

I read an interesting interview with Gary Katz that I found on the internet last week. He doesn't have many good things to say about how the music business has devolved into just that - a business.

Honestly, I think recording technology in the 1970s was just right- it had a warmth about it that got horribly lost starting in about 1980 (as with most things, there are exceptions to that- but by and large, that's how I feel). The way that instruments were produced to sound changed completely in the late '70s and early '80s. And I think there were some artists starting in the 1990s who have used older technology, who were striving for more of a classic sound, rather than embracing all the modern technology- and have been considered retro, or throwbacks (connotation: negative) as a result.

But I love the way that drums were produced to sound, for example, around 40 years ago. I also love the old Fender Rhodes electric piano, which is rarely used anywhere anymore.

Thank the heavens that these sounds are preserved for us to enjoy in this day and age, when there's really nothing else that sounds quite like them anymore.

• Like 1

No, there isn't anything else that sounds quite like them anymore. As I was listening to Pretzel Logic (when Rikki Don't Lose That Number comes on, the fullness of the sound [don't know how else to describe it] just hits you) , my first thought was: why didn't Rush ever have an album that sounded so full of sound? Then, when I put on Synchronicity, it sounded awful - tinny is a good word.

It is interesting how he (Gary Katz) got started in the business. He knew nothing about music - all he went by was how it sounded to him.

No, there isn't anything else that sounds quite like them anymore. As I was listening to Pretzel Logic (when Rikki Don't Lose That Number comes on, the fullness of the sound [don't know how else to describe it] just hits you) , my first thought was: why didn't Rush ever have an album that sounded so full of sound? Then, when I put on Synchronicity, it sounded awful - tinny is a good word.

It is interesting how he (Gary Katz) got started in the business. He knew nothing about music - all he went by was how it sounded to him.

Fullness is a good word, yes- it's just...a full and warm sound. And yet at the same time, it allows for all of the instruments to be heard pretty equally.

Synchronicity is much different, yes- in 1983, the mid-range and the high end were much more prominent, and the bass was used for accent, rather than being the foundation (again, I'm making a generalization. But that's what I hear, anyway).

Seventies album production, when done right, is the best!

Steely Dan are so far one of my favourite bands production wise (this isn't me declaring myself a massive fan, i am not). Still getting to grips with them, but the clarity, and smoothness of it all, has no parallel today.

Although it is worth noting that Nightwish's new album is mastered perfectly, with no issue in regards to the loudness wars. It sounds perfect. So maybe, just maybe, we are about to enter a new era where music is released with the sort of production that we love so much in the old school.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

:ranton:

Gary Katz produced all of their albums.

Tony Clarke produced the seven major Moodies albums.

You-know-who produced the best of the Rush albums.

What I am getting at (I think) is that if you have an excellent record producer who is producing for you award winning albums, don't ditch him. You can rarely improve on a good thing. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Change isn't always good.

:rantoff:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

What I am getting at (I think) is that if you have an excellent record producer who is producing for you award winning albums, don't ditch him. You can rarely improve on a good thing. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Change isn't always good.

Agree. Rush is the most baffling to me. We're sounding great.......let's fire Terry.

I love Rush but........idiots.

Micl

• Like 1

Agree. Rush is the most baffling to me. We're sounding great.......let's fire Terry.

Micl

Dunno bout that...I think Signals sounds a right mess, and the band were not heading in a direction Terry wanted to go to.

They made the right decision I think. GUP-HYF sound flawless to me, and I prefer Presto's sound to Signals.

Probably gonna be slated for this as always, but meh. Signals is a great album but that production...GUP was a great improvement. To my ears.

Micl

Dunno bout that...I think Signals sounds a right mess, and the band were not heading in a direction Terry wanted to go to.

They made the right decision I think. GUP-HYF sound flawless to me, and I prefer Presto's sound to Signals.

Probably gonna be slated for this as always, but meh. Signals is a great album but that production...GUP was a great improvement. To my ears.

I love those 80's albums but the production post Signals is cheesy......luckily the material was class A

Mick

• Like 1

Micl

I love those 80's albums but the production post Signals is cheesy......luckily the material was class A

Mick

Really? I personally think they were ok til the day they farted out Roll The Bones. Eugh that album sounds like a dumbass.

Micl

Mick

Really? I personally think they were ok til the day they farted out Roll The Bones. Eugh that album sounds like a dumbass.

No theose albums starting with pg..........we have have typical 80's cheese production.......which i've no problem with, BTW, lol

Mick

I lied a tiny bit. I still think they should have stayed with Terry.

Mick

If he could work with the material as the band wanted it, yes.

Butbas they are, I couldn't change a thing about the albums after Signals (at least until RTB came out).

Terry could have worked his magic on CA though. Played it today...so much greatness on that album, hidden beneath a lot of noise.

• Like 1