Steely Dan

Lorraine

I mustn't have a good ear for technical stuff when it comes to music because I would never pick up on this if it wasn't pointed out to me.

Its not really that,

Aja is just more of a clean recording.

Lorraine.

I mean the music on Aja is to polished. and over rehearsed.

the earlier albums like Ecstasy. Pretzel Logic. Scam. they all had a looser feel that i loved.

Mick

I'm going to listen again tomorrow and see if I can hear what you are talking about. I know that Aja seems more sophisticated in a way. Not sure that's the right word - sophisticated - but I always attributed it to the fact that they had more playing experience and were more confident by that album.

If you have a chance, maybe you can give me the names of some individual songs that I can listen and compare it to so I can maybe hear what you mean.

Listen to anything off Royal Scam and then listen to Aja. The shift is dramatic. Katy Lied is somewhere in the middle.

• Like 2

Lorraine.

the earlier albums like Ecstasy. Pretzel Logic. Scam. they all had a looser feel that i loved.

Mick

I agree that Aja is very polished, but I wouldn't call it over-produced. To my ears, it's just perfect.

If still call it my favorite, on the strength of the songs, lyrics and music alike.

But to address the list you made earlier today, Mick- I don't know if I could do that. All of those '70s Dan albums were just perfect in their own right. I can't decide which is first, second, third, fourth, etc...perhaps if someone held a gun to my head I would.

Thankfully, though, no one is!

• Like 3

Lorraine.

Mick

I'm going to listen again tomorrow and see if I can hear what you are talking about. I know that Aja seems more sophisticated in a way. Not sure that's the right word - sophisticated - but I always attributed it to the fact that they had more playing experience and were more confident by that album.

If you have a chance, maybe you can give me the names of some individual songs that I can listen and compare it to so I can maybe hear what you mean.

Just listen yto black Cow. Great song.......but slick as all hell, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Lorraine.

Mick

I agree that Aja is very polished, but I wouldn't call it over-produced. To my ears, it's just perfect.

If still call it my favorite, on the strength of the songs, lyrics and music alike.

But to address the list you made earlier today, Mick- I don't know if I could do that. All of those '70s Dan albums were just perfect in their own right. I can't decide which is first, second, third, fourth, etc...perhaps if someone held a gun to my head I would.

i agree- over produced was the wrong term. CA is over produced, lol

Aja is polished as hell though.

Mick

• Like 1

Lorraine.

Mick

Mick

:madra:

:P

Lorraine.

Mick

Mick

But don't you think it's polished because by Aja they had been around for awhile already?

Still think Gary Katz was a great record producer.

• Like 1

Lorraine.

Mick

Mick

But don't you think it's polished because by Aja they had been around for awhile already?

Still think Gary Katz was a great record producer.

I agree but if you listen to people who played on that album. they said it was so tough cause Fagan would go overboard and make play and record minute sections like.......forever,. lol

that's over polishing.

I love the record though.

Mick

• Like 1

Kid Charlemagne

Now I'm listening to Black Cow.

I think I hear what you mean, but to me, that's the ambiance of the album. It's quiet and smooth.

i guess i just like the slight rougher edges of the earlier stuff a little more lol

Mick

• Like 2

:musicnote: ....they got a name for the winners of the world

I want a name when I lose... :musicnote:

Always makes my eyes tear up those lyrics.

Beats being pounded over the head about red tides. :laughing guy:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Another thing.

Pretzel Logic is 32 or 34 minutes. The ENTIRE album.

The good old days! :codger:

Yup. not every album needs to exceed 60 mins.......i'm looking at you Modern Rush, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Lorraine.

Mick

Its not as raw as previous albums.

True. It is as tight as tight can be, but in a good way, I think. The Classic Albums "making of Aja" does a good job retelling the intricate process of making the album.
  • Like 3

Back to The Dan again today.

I will start with Pretzel Logic.

the Title track is one bad ass blues-y jam.

Mick

I love it. Loved it when it first came out in '74.

Listening to Night By Night now. :wub:

Night by night.......very hard rocking......by Dan standerds at least, lol

Mick

• Like 1