Steely Dan

Lorraine

Mick, The Royal Scam is up next. Katy Lied right now - Gold Teeth.

I LOVE Gold Teeth on Katy Lied.

such a smooth jazz groove on that track.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I love the horns in Caves of Altamira :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Mick

Yes! They are a huge (and the best) part of that song. That, and the bass and drums...and the piano...and the vocal harmonies...you know, the whole thing.

• Like 2

It is the first appearance of singer Michael McDonald on a Steely Dan album. Jeff Porcaro, then only 21 years old, played drums on all the songs except "Any World (That I'm Welcome To)", which features session drummer Hal Blaine.

Band leaders Walter Becker and Donald Fagen were unhappy with the album's sound quality owing to an equipment malfunction with the then-new dbx noise reduction system. The group has claimed that the damage was mostly repaired after consulting with the engineers at dbx, but Fagen and Becker still refused to listen to the completed album.

Where's Segue? I just read that Michael McDonald also did session singing and piano playing for Toto. :)

I was surprised to find out he's only two years older than me. Thought it was a lot more. He sounds like a man without much of an ego.

• Like 1

I am playing Katy Lied.

Can I be honest?

This has so much going on for me that on the surface I SHOULD LOVE, but it is missing that little something that truly grips me. It has a spark, but no X factor.

Def Leppard fall into the same category: I should be mental about them...but...I...Just...Do Not Connect!

But maybe, with the richness and complexity of the music on display, it is foolish of me to expect immediate rewards...I will be patient with them.

i think they are one of those bands not many like. You have to like their kind of music, which is hard to describe.

Maybe I have a proclivity to jazz music. That could be due to hearing Dave Brubeck a lot as a very little girl. Also, their use of the piano, and I love piano players.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

i think they are one of those bands not many like. You have to like their kind of music, which is hard to describe.

Maybe I have a proclivity to jazz music. That could be due to hearing Dave Brubeck a lot as a very little girl. Also, their use of the piano, and I love piano players.

i felt for sure segue would connect right off.

goes to show the complexity of musical tastes.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

I really enjoy Katy Lied, as it progressed it felt more and more familiar (played this twice before), and as I listened I could hear a lot of interesting sounds, every instrument was clear and most importantly, all of it was interesting!

To give Steely Dan credit, they sound like nobody else and that is very intriguing to me.

One issue...I came across a song with an F Word. Is it bad that that really annoyed me?

• Like 1

Mick

I really enjoy Katy Lied, as it progressed it felt more and more familiar (played this twice before), and as I listened I could hear a lot of interesting sounds, every instrument was clear and most importantly, all of it was interesting!

To give Steely Dan credit, they sound like nobody else and that is very intriguing to me.

One issue...I came across a song with an F Word. Is it bad that that really annoyed me?

ah Showbiz Kids, lol

No it's not bad Some people don't like cussing......and that's fine. I grew up around it.......so i am beyond de-sensitized, lol

Mick

In what song? I never heard it.

Not on this one another one and it turned me off. But I won't let that bother me.

Sorry but I don't cuss in real life, its something that I really hate! So...in music it isn't welcome (I can handle it in film if its used for realism).

Pet peeve, sorry!

• Like 2

No, it's not. I know how you feel about that. And I don't think it's necessary to have language like that in songs at all.

But I can also say that it is certainly not a regular thing, for them. In fact, I don't know of any other album/song of theirs where you'll find that. Maybe I'm just not thinking of it...but I don't think so.

• Like 2

Mick

ah Showbiz Kids, lol

No it's not bad Some people don't like cussing......and that's fine. I grew up around it.......so i am beyond de-sensitized, lol

Mick

I grew up with it, and its something I just don't appreciate (but don't ever think that means I judge anyone who expresses themselves that way).

• Like 1

No, it's not. I know how you feel about that. And I don't think it's necessary to have language like that in songs at all.

But I can also say that it is certainly not a regular thing, for them. In fact, I don't know of any other album/song of theirs where you'll find that. Maybe I'm just not thinking of it...but I don't think so.

This reassures me...I will progress with ease!

• Like 1

Definitely give Aja another listen or two. It's just really incredible pop and jazz/pop. It's timeless. There's only one song on it that I don't consider a wall-to-wall all-time classic. The other six tracks are.

• Like 2

Definitely give Aja another listen or two. It's just really incredible pop and jazz/pop. It's timeless. There's only one song on it that I don't consider a wall-to-wall all-time classic. The other six tracks are.

Not sure if I have ever made this apparent, but I truly love Aja!

Played that dozens of times lol, but not for a while!

• Like 1

Okay...I did know that you had heard it, but I didn't know how many times. And I didn't know if it deserved any kind of re-evaluation. Right, then. ;)

The Royal Scam should be next! I agree with Mick.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

Okay...I did know that you had heard it, but I didn't know how many times. And I didn't know if it deserved any kind of re-evaluation. Right, then. ;)

The Royal Scam should be next! I agree with Mick.

Aside from Aja, everything else is slower to grab me. But this isn't my generation, and I wasn't raised around this sort of music (actually, aside from ABBA, everything I am into is of my own discovery, not through my upbringing!). Some bands click, some take time.

Steely Dan are in the same category as Dream Theater, I enjoy them while they play, but as yet I rarely feel compelled to play them again.