Steely Dan

Lorraine

One issue...I came across a song with an F Word. Is it bad that that really annoyed me?

No, it's not. I know how you feel about that. And I don't think it's necessary to have language like that in songs at all.

But I can also say that it is certainly not a regular thing, for them. In fact, I don't know of any other album/song of theirs where you'll find that. Maybe I'm just not thinking of it...but I don't think so.

This reassures me...I will progress with ease!

Definitely give Aja another listen or two. It's just really incredible pop and jazz/pop. It's timeless. There's only one song on it that I don't consider a wall-to-wall all-time classic. The other six tracks are.

Not sure if I have ever made this apparent, but I truly love Aja!

Played that dozens of times lol, but not for a while!

Okay...I did know that you had heard it, but I didn't know how many times. And I didn't know if it deserved any kind of re-evaluation. Right, then. ;)

The Royal Scam should be next! I agree with Mick.

that one's got a rogher edge with some GREAT tasty guitar solo's

Mick

• Like 3

In what song? I never heard it.

Not on this one another one and it turned me off. But I won't let that bother me.

Sorry but I don't cuss in real life, its something that I really hate! So...in music it isn't welcome (I can handle it in film if its used for realism).

Pet peeve, sorry!

You don't have to apologize, I dislike it too. I also dislike crudity. But that's just me.

It's just that I honestly don't recall them using that word in any song. What song is it?

In the meantime, I just discovered that some here heartily dislike the song Digital Man. I'm trying to recuperate from the shock. :blink:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

In what song? I never heard it.

Not on this one another one and it turned me off. But I won't let that bother me.

Sorry but I don't cuss in real life, its something that I really hate! So...in music it isn't welcome (I can handle it in film if its used for realism).

Pet peeve, sorry!

You don't have to apologize, I dislike it too. I also dislike crudity. But that's just me.

It's just that I honestly don't recall them using that word in any song. What song is it?

In the meantime, I just discovered that some here heartily dislike the song Digital Man. I'm trying to recuperate from the shock. :blink:

I don't like Digital Man...sorry!

I'm still waiting for the name of the Dan song.

i think it's showbiz Kids.

they drop the f-bomb on that song.

Mick

I don't have that album. I guess that's why I never heard it! :LOL:

That's why when you wrote Show Biz Kids before, I thought you were referring to Segue. That he was a show biz kid. :LOLsign:

• Like 2

Mick

That's why when you wrote Show Biz Kids before, I thought you were referring to Segue. That he was a show biz kid. :LOLsign:

I so could be...

Mick

I so could be...

If you can be, you should do it. :)

• Like 1

Mick

I so could be...

I cannot sing

I cannot dance

I am annoying

With all these qualities, I am gonna be a music sensation!

• Like 1

Mick

I so could be...

I cannot sing

I cannot dance

I am annoying

And Academy Award material too! You'll fit right in!!

• Like 1

Mick

I so could be...

I cannot sing

I cannot dance

I am annoying

In this day and age that seems to be the secret of success.

• Like 1

D.Dad, I'll be prepared to talk about Gaucho here, say after this weekend. Bought it yesterday evening, and am re-acquainting myself...
  • Like 2

D.Dad, I'll be prepared to talk about Gaucho here, say after this weekend. Bought it yesterday evening, and am re-acquainting myself...

All morning I've had Hey Nineteen going through my head. I'm going to get Gaucho too! Another birthday gift for myself! :)

• Like 1

Lorraine, I'm cranking Katy Lied right now and it sounds so damn good. Dr Wu FTW.

Bad Sneakers has been going through my head too. Now at least I can listen to Katy Lied (thank you, Troutman!). Have to wait for Gaucho.

Gaucho doesn't get enough credit. Hey Nineteen, Third World Man and the title track are 3 of my fav Dan songs.

Mick

Just listened to it earlier today...hadn't heard it in many, many moons. Third World Man, indeed, so nice...the two 'hits' from this record are excellent, too.

• Like 1

Gaucho doesn't get enough credit. Hey Nineteen, Third World Man and the title track are 3 of my fav Dan songs.

Mick

Just listened to it earlier today...hadn't heard it in many, many moons. Third World Man, indeed, so nice...the two 'hits' from this record are excellent, too.

it's always a hard chore following up your biggest album/

they did a fine job, IMO.

Mick

Mick

Mick

Yeah, I wouldn't put it above Aja, certainly, but it's a very good album.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

That must be an awful experience. How do you top your best selling album? Some bands are able to ride the crest for a few albums before they start tumbling down. Others couldn't do it and we never heard of them again.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

That must be an awful experience. How do you top your best selling album? Some bands are able to ride the crest for a few albums before they start tumbling down. Others couldn't do it and we never heard of them again.

The Dan tried and then that was it for a while. And IMO........They came back and the magic was gone. the 2 reunion albums just didn't do it for me.

Whatsoever........a real shame.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

They also had significant difficulty in making Gaucho- they worked on it for two solid years, and maybe a little more. I think Walter Becker was having some drug problems, and he also went through a terrible time with a girlfriend who either committed suicide or just died (I'm not sure which) in his apartment, in 1979.

Gaucho was finally released in November of 1980. But Becker and Fagen parted ways the following year, for quite awhile.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

They also had significant difficulty in making Gaucho- they worked on it for two solid years, and maybe a little more. I think Walter Becker was having some drug problems, and he also went through a terrible time with a girlfriend who either committed suicide or just died (I'm not sure which) in his apartment, in 1979.

Gaucho was finally released in November of 1980. But Becker and Fagen parted ways the following year, for quite awhile.

She committed suicide. They said she had drug problems. That always amazes me. Why would anyone like that have a drug problem? What are they looking to numb? They have what many would love to have.