Live YYZ from 1981 video. Like watching bonus footage left off of ESL

jnoble

Found this last night while in a Youtube loop. Also shows what I had been wondering for a long time if Geddy had performed that song live on that tour with the Rickenbacker or Fender Jazz. On the CD the two basses sound similar enough that I cant tell the difference.

:ebert:

Edited by jnoble
  • Like 7

Found this last night while in a Youtube loop. Also shows what I had been wondering for a long time if Geddy had performed that song live on that tour with the Rickenbacker or Fender Jazz. On the CD the two basses sound similar enough that I cant tell the difference.

Fascinating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never seen that. I was always pissed they didnt include YYZ in ESL VHS :)

Many 80s live VHS suffer of a bad editing / cutting of what would have been whole performances.

I have never understood why: maybe in record companies minds the tape wasn't the proper support to preserve 120/150 mins shows but I remember recording TV shows of the same lenght and having no problems.

I think these kind of productions were leff in not very safe hands but it was all we could grab at the time

Edited by geezer

I'm pretty sure the only other song he used to play live using the Fender in the early '80s was Digital Man on the Signals tour. Then it got retired for ten years until Counterparts.

This video of Digital Man live in '83 shows him playing what appears to be the Steinberger. Perhaps he played it on the Jazz very early on in the tour before he switched to the Steinberger? :huh:

Thanks. Where did this come from? I'm pretty sure it isn't on the 8mm compilation video tape from various tours where they dub the sound from All The World's A

Stage or Exit...Stage Left or some other boot.

Something similar to this....

This one is new to me....

wow, that 79 footage is awesome.. really rare stuff there. never seen that before and i seen em all.. i wish there would have been a pro shot for the hemipheres tour...

That's why I was surprised to find it. The rest of them are compiled on an 8 mm video except for that one. It's already a favorite of mine.