Soundalike Songs

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 7 2005, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Aug 6 2005, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Aug 6 2005, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 6 2005, 05:40 PM)
Similar to sampling? confused13.gif

Sampling really bugs me. All the young peeps think that these pop artists came up with the tune themselves when in reality, most of their "songs" are created using sampling.

Okay, I'm off subject a bit here, but sampling bugs me. angry.gif

I agree 100%

Same thing goes with cover songs. If an artist is going to cover another artist, they need to make it perfectly clear that they are not the ones who wrote the song. I cant tell you how many little people I've met who think No Doubt wrote "Its My Life" or *cringes* think Limp Bizkit wrote "Behind Blue Eyes".

YES!!! "Behind Blue Eyes"...Geez you don't understand how many people think Limp Bizkit wrote it!!! UGHHH angry.gif angry.gif

Or that American Woman was by Lenny Kravitz. angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

Or that "Another Brick in the Wall" is by Korn laugh.gif

(Insert Nickelback song here) = (Insert other Nickelback song here) = Hinder's "Lips of an Angel"

This kind of generic hard rock makes me question my faith in humanity far more than Paris Hilton and K-Fed do, despite a thread I made a while back saying just the opposite.

• Like 1

- Open Secrets by Rush and that new wave song I hear on the radio sometimes, I don't know the band name or song name, but it goes like, "I just died in your arms tonight! Must've been something you said," or something like that.

- What You're Doing by Rush and a lot of Led Zeppelin songs.

QUOTE (Finbar @ Feb 25 2007, 07:15 AM)
- Open Secrets by Rush and that new wave song I hear on the radio sometimes, I don't know the band name or song name, but it goes like, "I just died in your arms tonight! Must've been something you said," or something like that.

- What You're Doing by Rush and a lot of Led Zeppelin songs.

Cutting Crew - "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight"

Originally released late 1986 in the UK/Europe, hit the charts in the US a few months later in 1987.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Oct 3 2005, 06:08 PM)
In the Mood and I Think I'm Going Bald have the same riff.

THEY DO! THANK YOU!

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Apr 10 2006, 02:29 PM)
Sampling is stealing. Period. That would be no different than writing a book and sticking pages from another author's book into your book and calling it original. That's not art, in my opinion, it's highway robbery. Why can't they at least try to re-record what the original artist did. That way, at least they worked a little bit for it, even though they're still stealing?!
My new band covered "push it" by salt n pepa, but at least we're buying the rights to it, legally so we can publish it.
Here come the arguments...
:pirate:

"Still stealing?"

Do you consider 2112 Overture or La Villa Strangiato to be stealing?

The syncopated motif in Dreamline sounds very reminiscent of the 7/8 breaks in Distant Early Warning.

The intro to Suite No. 1 by Giles, Giles and Fripp and the intro/chorus guitar part to The Spirit of Radio by Rush.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 5 2007, 08:55 AM)
How's about this one:

Kool and the Gang's "Celebration" sounds like Yes' "Roundabout"

I remember years back there was some cell phone commercial with a similar kinda riff to Roundabout.

I don't really hear the similarity between Celebration Time and Roundabout, though, but I'll listen again.

BOTH great songs!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 5 2007, 08:55 AM)
How's about this one:

Kool and the Gang's "Celebration" sounds like Yes' "Roundabout"

I've heard some suggest that Van Hagar's Best of Both Worlds is a lift of Celebration...

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Mar 5 2007, 10:10 PM)
Ice Ice Baby and that Queen and David Bowie song.

Vanilla Ice sampled from their Under Pressure duet. Sampling is legal. Tone Loc's Wild Thing samples Van Halen's Jamie's Cryin', as another example.

King Crimson, People and Nine Inch Nails, Eraser. The bridge and middle bit respectively.