Neil's interview w/ Jim Ladd 2/3/15

dtpoet

Right off the bat some interesting info:

On putting the setlist together:

"Oh we'll play this song one night and the next night we'll play this other song".

Sounds like A-B setlists are in the works.

Another interesting setlist note:

"Well We played a lot of that last tour so we can set that album aside. And what about this one we haven't played for awhile. We wanted to do a complete chronilogical presentation of all that time too."

Edited by dtpoet
  • Like 4

f**k, Neil; shut it!

?

Not really a spoiler.

No kidding. He's not really saying anything. Last tour could mean Clockwork Angels or R30.

On setlist and songs never performed live:

"Certain albums we've represented a lot, we don't have to do that album, those songs."

"So we want to touch upon the high points along the way and make it a kind of digest for ourselves chronologically and yes there are songs that are deep tracks."

"We even talked about that theme (deep tracks); should we do that? And I said, "no, what we do want to celebrate is the high points where we reached the audience."

Edited by dtpoet
  • Like 1

f**k, Neil; shut it!

?

Not really a spoiler.

No kidding. He's not really saying anything. Last tour could mean Clockwork Angels or R30.

don't be defensive; i'm having some fun but i do think neil is hinting strongly at something :yes:

• Like 1

"We even talked about that theme; should we do that? And I said, "no, what we do want to celebrate is the high points where we reached the audience."

I have to give it up to Alex for trying hard to make it a deep cuts tour. sounds like a greatest hits tour with a few deep cuts but it's strange to hear him say "songs that reached the audience" where all they have ever tried to do is makes themselves happy first and if it reaches an audience then he is fine with that, too. tough to have high points as a band when you are trying to find your voice through the years. maybe that's why they decided on the "audience theme" alluded to above. tough to draw a conclusion on a setlist.

I think CA may be off the books. At the most 1 song. Maybe nothing of S&A or VT either...Have a feeling, they will play 3/4 of what they HAVE to play and 25% what they want....

i listened to most of it, it got cut off at the end so i missed the last 10-15 minutes.

i have a feeling they'll do some kind of chronological set for half the show. maybe the first half will be stuff they want to play, some deeper tracks. the second half will be a chronological time machine through their whole career. if you're interested, i'll make a thread to discuss the possibility with an idea of what i mean by this kind of setlist.

"We even talked about that theme; should we do that? And I said, "no, what we do want to celebrate is the high points where we reached the audience."

I have to give it up to Alex for trying hard to make it a deep cuts tour. sounds like a greatest hits tour with a few deep cuts but it's strange to hear him say "songs that reached the audience" where all they have ever tried to do is makes themselves happy first and if it reaches an audience then he is fine with that, too. tough to have high points as a band when you are trying to find your voice through the years. maybe that's why they decided on the "audience theme" alluded to above. tough to draw a conclusion on a setlist.

Pretty sure we can safely assume that the 2112 Overture is going to make the cut.

• Like 2

Right off the bat some interesting info:

On putting the setlist together:

"Oh we'll play this song one night and the next night we'll play this other song".

Sounds like A-B setlists are in the works.

Another interesting setlist note:

"Well We played a lot of that last tour so we can set that album aside. And what about this one we haven't played for awhile. We wanted to do a complete chronilogical presentation of all that time too."

I think the album they're looking to "set aside" is Power Windows, which I think they went a bit overboard with last tour.

• Like 3

Another telling sign that might make it sound like this is IT:

Neil made a comment in his interview about "ending the tour" and he DID make a mention of wanting to do it in Toronto, or Cleveland since that's where they got their start in the states...but they are happy ending it at the Forum because of the history....

• Like 1

Great interview. Not too many hints about the tour but great conversation.

It does always strike me that someone so versed and well read is so backwards on his religious views but I digress that is a discussion for a different chat room.

I can't wait to see the boys in St. Louis mo in May. My big decision will be if I will try to catch a set list B,C in another city.

Great interview. Not too many hints about the tour but great conversation.

It does always strike me that someone so versed and well read is so backwards on his religious views but I digress that is a discussion for a different chat room.

I can't wait to see the boys in St. Louis mo in May. My big decision will be if I will try to catch a set list B,C in another city.

Yeah...starting to think I should turn into a "Jam band gypsy" and just suck it up and go to EVERY show this tour...(have to weigh whether it's worth walking away from my marriage or not, though....I doubt she'd be on board with that idea) :blink:

If they don't play The Big Money or Marathon I'll be really pissed and will walk out at the end of the show!

I bet Marathon is the one song they play from the album

Agreed. Found it odd that it was left out last tour considering how many PoW sings were played.

Edited by dtpoet
  • Like 1