Will this be the year Rush regains some respectability?

GeminiRising79

After 15 years of consistent mediocrity and fan-hosing. From lackluster and droning musical efforts...

Discuss.

I completely disagree with the premiss. Short discussion.

• Like 3

Might be more constructive if you were a little more specific with your question rather than just throwing out generalized derogatory statements to elicit a response.
  • Like 1

I actually think they are more widely known and respected now than they have ever been. And whilst SA and CA are not amongst my favourite Rush albums, they are incredibly good for a band of their age and genre and to be honest, in a rather lacklustre era for modern rock (at least in the mainstream), this 40 year old band came across as a breath of fresh air. CA grew off me, it is true. But in 2012 no album came close to topping it for me (and a lot of my favourite albums come from that year, for some odd reason), and it really was an exciting time for this new fan.

I actually think they are more widely known and respected now than they have ever been. And whilst SA and CA are not amongst my favourite Rush albums, they are incredibly good for a band of their age and genre and to be honest, in a rather lacklustre era for modern rock (at least in the mainstream), this 40 year old band came across as a breath of fresh air. CA grew off me, it is true. But in 2012 no album came close to topping it for me (and a lot of my favourite albums come from that year, for some odd reason), and it really was an exciting time for this new fan.

Segue, I agree with this and I want to compliment you on the range of music in your favorites list! So many people are stuck in one genre or decade. It's nice to see someone else who likes a variety of music.

Might be more constructive if you were a little more specific with your question rather than just throwing out generalized derogatory statements to elicit a response.

The details should be obvious to any involved Rush fan, imo, but to sum it up: they cashed-out their integrity long ago.

Segue, I agree with this and I want to compliment you on the range of music in your favorites list! So many people are stuck in one genre or decade. It's nice to see someone else who likes a variety of music.

Oh yeah, Segue is our Eighth Wonder of the Music World. Wait until you meet his friend, Mick. He's the ninth. The two of them together make quite the team.

Isn't that so, Segue and Mick? ;) ;) :)

The details should be obvious to any involved Rush fan, imo, but to sum it up: they cashed-out their integrity long ago.

In which way did they lose integrity?

In which way did they lose integrity?

That's what I'm wondering? Unless you're equating integrity with musical style or something?

After 15 years of consistent mediocrity and fan-hosing. From lackluster and droning musical efforts, to restrictive concert playlists, to an endless repetition of dvd/media releases, to only name a few.

Discuss.

1. Clockwork Angels is good and not mediocre. (Same with SA & VT).

2. See above.

3. So they're expected to play for MORE than three hours per show???

4. They only produce what people want.

Edited by antiquark

For true Rush fans, respectability has never been in doubt. Though out of the mainstream (so to speak), Rush has gained a following second to none. Their music speaks to people, and is not just a bunch of guys banging on instruments. For those of us who get this, it doesn't matter what other people think. For myself, I'm always ridiculed by my friends about my over the top passion for Rush, and I could give two shits about it! In fact I revelle in it and embrace it!,

ICPASIALAF....... Rush nerd for life.

• Like 1

To quote Neil, who was quoting Capote, who was quoting a Bedouin proverb:

"The dogs bark, but the caravan has moved on."

Edited by coventry
  • Like 1

If anything, Rush's respectability (and popularity, for that matter) among the general public and the music critics/intelligentsia (who had despised them for decades) has been on an upward trajectory over the past decade or so.

The fact that Neil is still up there, doing his thing, after the horrific personal tragedies and loss that he went through in the 90s;

The fact all three of them are most certainly NOT stereotypical "rock stars", but are incredibly humble, gracious, and with a wacky, self-effacing sense of humor (both onstage and offstage);

The fact that their playing level is as good as it has ever been, if not better-at 60+years of age;

The fact that they are on their 41st year with the same band lineup-three musicians, one power trio, an enormous amount of sound...

And the fact that they were FINALLY acknowledged by the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame (which matters only in terms of the symbolism that they have been "accepted" and are (at least grudgingly) respected by the critics-who had hated them for so many years,

All of this is evidence that Rush have a LOT of respectability, and it's all well-deserved.

Edited by Ardent15
  • Like 3