Better Call Saul

workingcinderellaman

Ever since Chuck died, I feel like Better Call Saul has just become Breaking Bad without Walter White. I care far less about Gus' lab and the business of the Cartels than I do about seeing Jimmy hustle and scheme in court, and find out what's going to happen with he and Kim. Unfortunately, while that is still present, I feel like it's being pushed to the background of the story.

It's still a fantastic show, but I feel like it's lost some of its luster.

• Like 2

The Gene intro was great stuff. E2 seemed to lose the momentum a little, but I do enjoy Lalo and Hector`s shenanigans. Good to see Jimmy doing some actual legal work and how Kim seems likely to reach a bad end by not cutting ties. Blindingly obvious observation - Gus is very unconvincing as ten years younger than he was in BB.

Ever since Chuck died, I feel like Better Call Saul has just become Breaking Bad without Walter White. I care far less about Gus' lab and the business of the Cartels than I do about seeing Jimmy hustle and scheme in court, and find out what's going to happen with he and Kim. Unfortunately, while that is still present, I feel like it's being pushed to the background of the story.

It's still a fantastic show, but I feel like it's lost some of its luster.

Good point. That story arc was fantastic

For a spinoff, Better Call Saul is fantastic!

I'd say it's fantastic, full stop!

I can't figure out Kim's motivations, though.

I liked the flashback of teenage Kim from last week`s episode. It showed her smalltown background, morally ambiguous mother, single-mindedness, willingness to do the hard yards to get where she wants on her own - all that in a two minute scene where she barely had any lines, So I think that her motivations are the time-honoured pull of who she is at her core from a genetic perspective, and who her ambition and drive wants her to be. So she makes professional moves forwards whilst her innate character will always try to sabotage it - like Jimmy. And like Walt before them.
  • Like 1

Girlfriend and I started watching a month or two ago, binged to the end of Season 5.

We are thoroughly, thoroughly enjoying the show. Phenomenal. And neither of us has ever seen Breaking Bad.

Didn't notice this until it was put in front of my face

• Like 4

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Girlfriend and I started watching a month or two ago, binged to the end of Season 5.

We are thoroughly, thoroughly enjoying the show. Phenomenal. And neither of us has ever seen Breaking Bad.

Didn't notice this until it was put in front of my face

Strap yourself in for Season 6. There`s only S6 E13 left - the very last one - next week. I`m a mess. :fistscrying:

• Like 1

What a fantastic ending to this series, and perhaps to the franchise.

My favorite moment was in the courtroom, Oakley says "That stuff about your brother wasn't even a crime", and Jimmy owns up and says "Yeah. It was."

For the first time, Jimmy doesn't take the shortcut. He knows he can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, but he chooses to face the music as Jimmy rather than steal his freedom as Saul. They nailed it. 10/10.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 3

An amazing show from start to finish, and for me was far more entertaining that Breaking Bad, not least because of the powerhouse performances from Odenkirk, Banks, Esposito, McKean, Mando and above all Rhea Seehorn as Kim Wexler.

The Jimmy character throughout the 6 seasons was a mixture of humour, endearment, frustration and pure monomaniacal determination. The way he treated Kim through lying and trying to blame her for his mistakes was not only incredibly well acted but also made the viewer (me) seething with rage at his myopic arrogance and victimhood.

And yet there were many times when he was very endearing, kind hearted and genuine, although I guess the ending was nothing more than a belated Pyrrhic victory.

Jonathan Banks, was also outstanding as Mike Ehrmantraut, but also quite soulless at times, especially with his mild contempt of Jimmy. And yet their long trek through the desert was yet another highlight in a very absorbing season.

This will definitely be one of my repeat viewings over the next few years. I might even feel inclined to re-watch and show some love for Breaking Bad - a show I never really rated that much.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 2:29 PM, IbanezJem said:

Strap yourself in for Season 6. There`s only S6 E13 left - the very last one - next week. I`m a mess. :fistscrying:

I am finally getting around to watching season 6.  What a return to form so far!!!

:notworthy:

• Like 1

Very late to the party. My wife and I finally finished the second half of the final season.

As already noted, this show ended everything correctly. Fantastic performances all around, terrific writing.

But that's all been said.

So I want to add that this is one of the most artistically shot dramas I've ever scene. 

The best cinematography I've ever seen on tv. Breaking Bad was also great at this, but Better Call Saul was better.

They had artists in every part of this show.

Kudos to Carol Burnett. Her last scene was perfect.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 4