T. Brown, the fourth member of classic Rush

toymaker

BROON Rush is clearly the best Rush and many would like to have him back in the mix. How did the relastioship end, could he return?

http://youtu.be/Vyisn1C3Kv8?t=1h10m54s

I knew they said he was like a 4th member. I suspect they've said it many other times as well.

I would love to see Terry behind the console again.

But Rush can basically self produce (and have been for the most part) themselves.

Sonically times had changed in the mid 80's. Equipment, ways and methods of recording. A lot of things. They completely went with new equipment. It has nothing to do with the producer. It had to do with them. They wanted to go in that direction. and Terry did not.

Hence they parted ways.

What you want is 2 inch tape and all the old equipment back. And I agree it sounds amazing and 1978-1982 was a warm, delicious sound that Rush had going on. But it will never be recaptured...ever again. Technology has seen to that. And the band has long since moved on from that approach.

Whether you liked it or not is another discussion. But I think sonically everything they have done post Signals had it's own unique character. Moments of brilliance (lot's of those on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire) moments of cool new sounds (Presto had some great new sounds all over it) which were made better on Roll The Bones, then Counterparts really went back to a more organic, warm, thick in your face sound. Test For Echo was very tight sonically. We all know about Vapor Trails. Snakes and Arrows was a heck of sound. Really powerful. And while Clockwork Angels took yet another step back overall as far as clarity (so much going on though on that record with the string layers) the material was so strong I can easily listen past some of the sonic drawbacks of the record.

Rush has been defined not only from 74-82, but for a huge legion of their fan base 84-91. You would be surprised at how many fans I talk with at shows came aboard on Hold Your Fire, or Roll The Bones.

Some of you pioneer fans would be downright shocked. And I would venture to say us Moving Picture gen kids out number you 2-1.

Edited by Todem

And I would venture to say us Moving Picture gen kids out number you 2-1.

That means nothing. In ten years, your generation will be gone too to be taken over by the Segue/Mick/Bathory generation.

Thanks.....thanks a lot. :codger:

"Interesting concept...but the band needed to part ways (if even temporarily) to "find" themselves again. Signals was a great album, but a bland sounding effort, and they needed to wander away for a while...."

Problem is, like the proverbial Children of Israel, they wandered, and they wandered, and wandered some more. And some more. They wandered a really long time. Maybe couldn't be helped.

I guess we don't know the whole situation between Terry and the boys...I'm sure they keep in touch, but IIRC there wasn't any interaction in Beyond the Lighted Stage between them, was there? (now I have to watch it again this weekend....)

Terry Brown was interviewed. Also, didn't Alex play on a Tiles album produced by Terry Brown? I'm sure they keep in touch and talk about how Terry was never the "fourth" member of Rush.

The band have talked about how Brown was like a member of the band and like a member of the family, IIRC. Also, Alex, Geddy and Terry got together for the VH1 DVD on 2112 and MP. It was fantastic.

When I watch that video, I get a weird vibe from Geddy, like he's uncomfortable sitting there with Brown. I'll have to watch it again, but he seems a bit rigid or something. Does anyone else get that impression?

"Interesting concept...but the band needed to part ways (if even temporarily) to "find" themselves again. Signals was a great album, but a bland sounding effort, and they needed to wander away for a while...."

Problem is, like the proverbial Children of Israel, they wandered, and they wandered, and wandered some more. And some more. They wandered a really long time. Maybe couldn't be helped.

I guess we don't know the whole situation between Terry and the boys...I'm sure they keep in touch, but IIRC there wasn't any interaction in Beyond the Lighted Stage between them, was there? (now I have to watch it again this weekend....)

Terry Brown was interviewed. Also, didn't Alex play on a Tiles album produced by Terry Brown? I'm sure they keep in touch and talk about how Terry was never the "fourth" member of Rush.

The band have talked about how Brown was like a member of the band and like a member of the family, IIRC. Also, Alex, Geddy and Terry got together for the VH1 DVD on 2112 and MP. It was fantastic.

When I watch that video, I get a weird vibe from Geddy, like he's uncomfortable sitting there with Brown. I'll have to watch it again, but he seems a bit rigid or something. Does anyone else get that impression?

I'll have to watch it again. Thanks for the excuse!

I can't read this entire thread again to refresh my memory, so I don't know that I posted this already, but Terry Brown seemed very controlling as time went on. I forget what song he hated and refused to record when Rush showed it to him. He relented, but initially blew a gasket when he saw the song. That's a lot of control for a man that is only a producer. That could be one of the reasons why he was eventually retired.

I can't read this entire thread again to refresh my memory, so I don't know that I posted this already, but Terry Brown seemed very controlling as time went on. I forget what song he hated and refused to record when Rush showed it to him. He relented, but initially blew a gasket when he saw the song. That's a lot of control for a man that is only a producer. That could be one of the reasons why he was eventually retired.

Wasn't it either Digital Man or The Analog Kid?

• Like 1

Your memory is better than mine. You're right. It was Digital Man that he hated.

Your memory is better than mine. You're right. It was Digital Man that he hated.

That amazes me. I don't think it's that much different than any of the other songs on that album.

• Like 1

I don't know if you're much of a reader, Lorraine, but if you are, you might be interested in picking up Sound Man by Glyn Johns. You may be surprised to learn that shitcanning songs is very much in the realm of "normal" producer duties. "Only" a producer is somewhat of an oxymoron.

That amazes me. I don't think it's that much different than any of the other songs on that album.

It's got those energy-sucking throbbing bass keyboard passages.

I don't know if you're much of a reader, Lorraine, but if you are, you might be interested in picking up Sound Man by Glyn Johns. You may be surprised to learn that shitcanning songs is very much in the realm of "normal" producer duties. "Only" a producer is somewhat of an oxymoron.

I didn't mean it as an insult to a record producer by using the word "only," or to infer that he wasn't important. I meant that I thought it took a lot of nerve to tell a famous band that you didn't want to do the song because you hated it.

I for one am glad they continued evolving after 1981. Even if poor Terry was booted out on his ass!

I appreciate the break we got some great songs but I'd like to see what the band and BROON might do today.

Lol, in AG&N's defense I would have argued with him as well. I absolutely love Digital Man.

Lol, in AG&N's defense I would have argued with him as well. I absolutely love Digital Man.

So do I. I even started a thread about the song. But TB didn't.

It was the coke that was talking, not Terry!

I didn't mean it as an insult to a record producer by using the word "only," or to infer that he wasn't important. I meant that I thought it took a lot of nerve to tell a famous band that you didn't want to do the song because you hated it.

I understand, but it's a producer's job to help a band develop what both the band and the producer agree is the best product possible. Obviously there was a disagreement between Rush and Brown, but it wasn't inappropriate for him to feel that a given song wasn't right for the band (just like it wasn't inappropriate for the band to push back and, eventually, cut him loose -- plenty of decisions made in the world are stupid, yet not inappropriate). Producers have to be controlling to a certain extent, lest the band produce itself and most bands (and Rush certainly falls into this category) tend to be too close to their own material to be objective enough to know what's good and what's shit.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1