Permanent Waves - Good or Bad?

Lorraine

107 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Permanent Waves?

• I love it!
    • I don't like it.
    • I can take it or leave it.

Union, I'm not trying trying to be rude. You're entitled to your opinion but if you feel that way why are you here?

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-troll-22.png

Proof: he lists Hemispheres as his favorite Rush album but voted No in that thread.

• Like 2

Hello All! Post #1 :)

I love Permanent Waves, it was my introduction to them, and is still to this day my fave Rush album.

Two "Hits"

Two Deep Tracks

Two Epics

Perfect album.

Hello! :hi: Did you vote in my little Hemispheres poll? I'm hoping to get 100 yes votes! :)

Union, I'm not trying trying to be rude. You're entitled to your opinion but if you feel that way why are you here?

Proof: he lists Hemispheres as his favorite Rush album but voted No in that thread.

I guess so. I just don't understand someone having 6000 posts but only liking Presto and Clockwork Angels.

I guess so. I just don't understand someone having 6000 posts but only liking Presto and Clockwork Angels.

Just because I don't like everything pre-Moving Pictures doesn't mean I don't like other albums.

Edited by Union 5-3992

I guess so. I just don't understand someone having 6000 posts but only liking Presto and Clockwork Angels

Vapor Trails and Power Windows

Epic masterpieces. :eh:

I don't see the problem.

Aren't you the Quadrophenia man?

Yeah, another artistic masterpiece, only second to Face Dances

I guess so. I just don't understand someone having 6000 posts but only liking Presto and Clockwork Angels

Vapor Trails and Power Windows

Epic masterpieces. :eh:

I don't see the problem.

Aren't you the Quadrophenia man?

Yeah, another artistic masterpiece, only second to Face Dances

I'm not familiar with Face Dances, but I adore Quadrophenia. Love of Quadrophenia covers a multitude of Rush sins. ;) ;)

Oh god, where do I start?

1. The music, while no doubt technically accomplished on all fronts, it feels sterile, formulaic, and there are few compositional risks taken (and when they ARE taken, they're inevitably embarrassing). It almost feels like a combination of the worst possibilities of '70s arena rock (cheesily anthemic choruses, overwrought hooks, boring songwriting) and '70s prog rock. Rush tries to appeal to a middle ground between experimentation and accessibility; nothing wrong with that, but their music fails at both.

2. Neal Peart's lyrics are often embarrassingly overwrought and pretentious, often reading like they were written by an acne-afflicted teen whose access to literature is limited to a copy of Atlas Shrugged and a handful of bad fantasy/sci-fi novels.

3. The synths, when applied, almost always end up sounding dated and artificial. While not as bad as, say, Yes or ELP, they're annoying enough to be noticeable.

I try to respect other people's opinions but this is hogwash, and I don't use that term lightly.

• Like 5

Just because I don't like everything pre-Moving Pictures doesn't mean I don't like other albums.

Apologies perhaps I took a post of yours too literally. I was under the impression you liked two albums but had 6000 posts here.

I love Permanent Waves, it was my introduction to them, and is still to this day my fave Rush album.

Two "Hits"

Two Deep Tracks

Two Epics

Perfect album.

I agree wholeheartedly. Welcome to the forum! :)

Two "Hits"

Two Deep Tracks

Two Epics

Perfect album.

I agree wholeheartedly. Welcome to the forum! :)