DAVID LEE ROTH VS. VAN HALEN! The 1986-1988 Years: "Eat 'Em" "Skyscraper" VS. "5150" "OU812"

RUSHHEAD666

VAN HAGAR VS DAVID LEE ROTH: THE 1986-1988 Years!  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which Two Albums Do You Love The Most?

• DAVID LEE ROTH: "Eat 'Em And Smile" and "Skyscraper"
    • VAN HAGAR: "5150" And "OU812"
    • NONE! ALL FOUR OF THESE ALBUMS ARE SHIT!

I wasn't in the habit of buying music that I didn't like, so over the years there were very few CDs that I traded in. "A Little Ain't Enough" was one of them. "Showtime" was the only song on that album worth a damn

Dogtown Shuffle is one of Roth's best solo efforts. The lyrics absolutely nail the subject material. Great song.

I really love Damn Good. Might be my favorite Roth tune ever, quite honestly.

Damn straight! LOL

Bashing the Sammy Hagar era of Van Halen is tired and cliche. They made some excellent music during this era. While OU812 is sort of a mixed bag, F.U.C.K. and Balance are pretty underrated.

I don't understand why there has to be this divide between Roth and Hagar. I like both eras for different reasons.

• Like 1

F.U.C.K. is solid except for that Pepsi sellout song "Right Now." Gag me with a spoon!

The Dream Is Over, Spanked, Judgement Day, Runaround, and Man on a Mission are all quite good. Right Now is good too if you can separate the marketing shit from the actual music.

F.U.C.K. is solid except for that Pepsi sellout song "Right Now." Gag me with a spoon!

The Dream Is Over, Spanked, Judgement Day, Runaround, and Man on a Mission are all quite good. Right Now is good too if you can separate the marketing shit from the actual music.

Judgement Day is good but I will take Whitesnake's version instead!

Roth, Vai and Sheehan destroyed Van Hagar. Eddie lost something in his tone and attack, his solos lacked bite, and the music was much less vital than Roth-era material and veering more in an AOR direction. Vai and Sheehan were the pinnacle of rock guitar at the time and Roth took advantage of that.
  • Like 2

Roth, Vai and Sheehan destroyed Van Hagar. Eddie lost something in his tone and attack, his solos lacked bite, and the music was much less vital than Roth-era material and veering more in an AOR direction. Vai and Sheehan were the pinnacle of rock guitar at the time and Roth took advantage of that.

Amen brother!

Not a fan of the Hagar years but 5150 is the best of all of them... IMO

Maybe because I saw the 5150 tour front row in NJ, but compared to seeing the 1984 tour in the nose bleed seats, I'll take 1984 any day over any Van Hager shows.

• Like 2

Maybe because I saw the 5150 tour front row in NJ, but compared to seeing the 1984 tour in the nose bleed seats, I'll take 1984 any day over any Van Hager shows.

http://youtu.be/wzq17F-b9AU

NO! I can't stomach that video! I saw the 1984 tour when I was 16. It blew my fuckking mind. Alex's kit was insane!

I saw the 5150 Tour. BTO opened. I wanted to take ice picks to my ears man.

Alex's crappy electronic padded kit of SHIT!

Sure the Eddie riffs are tasty and brown but his brother is a fuckking clown.

A very talented drummer yet sold out to the electronic annoyance SIMMONS PADS!!

At least Neil still had an acoustic organic side of his kit!

Alex, hiding behind a shitload of octobans. He never played them once.

Alex's drum solo of seeing how fast he can go on Simmons pads almost gave me a fuckingg seizure.

BTO was better!!!

Sorry! I know!! I'm a "fuckking drummer."

• Like 1

I certainly hope the one human on here who voted for ALL FOUR ALBUMS ARE SHITE isn't a friend of mine!

Perhaps you are a real Van Halen fan. I get that!

However "Eat Em" and "Sky" RULE!!!!

OU812 and 5150 I could live without!

I know it was the "Sigh Of The Times" with all of that damn electronic percussion shite but man if Alex had laid down his drum tracks on an all organic drum kit 5150 would have been a lot better.

I know it was the "Sigh Of The Times" with all of that damn electronic percussion shite but man if Alex had laid down his drum tracks on an all organic drum kit 5150 would have been a lot better.

True that. One of the reasons I prefer 0U812 over 5150. The drums and the generally heavier sound. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

True that. One of the reasons I prefer 0U812 over 5150. The drums and the generally heavier sound.

Somewhere I read that OU812 was the Hagar era's Fair Warning, a little heavier, a little darker.

I've never understood why OU812 caught so much flak. Black and Blue, notwithstanding its ridiculous lyrics, is one of my favorite Hagar era tracks. Next to Carnal Knowledge, it's my favorite album from the era.

• Like 1

Skyscraper is a pile of steaming shit.
  • Like 2

True that. One of the reasons I prefer 0U812 over 5150. The drums and the generally heavier sound.

Somewhere I read that OU812 was the Hagar era's Fair Warning, a little heavier, a little darker.

I've never understood why OU812 caught so much flak. Black and Blue, notwithstanding its ridiculous lyrics, is one of my favorite Hagar era tracks. Next to Carnal Knowledge, it's my favorite album from the era.

AFU, Source of Infection, Cabo Wabo, Finish What Ya Started, Black N Blue, Mine All Mine.

Criminally underrated VH album.

• Like 2