Would Rush have made it whitout all the albums before and including Moving Pictures?

YYZumbi

if they made the debut in '81, for example then maybe. that way, their debut would sound a lot different and more 80's. like bathory said, no one is gonna go from hard rock on the first album to synth rock on the second one. its a transition that has to be made, so no they probably wouldn't have made it.

Not if Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, and Hold Your Fire were still made. As much as I love those albums, the record companies really wouldn't.

"I do agree that rush were still too rush-y to get as popular as genesis, but some of the 80s genesis tunes like abacab and domino sounded fairly complex for 80s pop (I am only assuming these songs were popular because I still hear them on the radio today, I wasn't around back in the day so I have no idea if these were actually big compared to solo phil, or in too deep, or invisible touch)."

I was in high school when Abacab and Genesis (self titled) came out and they were both huge. Huge. Easily bigger than Phil Collins solo stuff in general; I know Phil had a lot of hits but "In the Air Tonight" and "Mama" were the only ones I remember that seemed as big as Genesis. I wasn't inclined to like Genesis but couldn't resist the Duke through Genesis run because it was just so good. Like I tried to not like The Police (a reaction against my friends' over-enthusiasm) but just had to admit they were great. Went to sleep many a night listening to Regatta de Blanc and Abacab. Phil Collins' "Phil Collinsishness" and the fuddiness of the other two didn't seem to matter as the music was so good.

Re Rush, post-Signals Rush never had that appeal for sure. It seemed like after the popular peak of MP and the commercial respectability of Signals, most people outside the devoted seemed to quickly forget about Rush. They still sold a lot of records for sure, it just seemed that no one talked about them.

Edit: Revisiting these albums just realized that "Mama" wasn't Phil solo but was Genesis. Shows how much they seemed one and the same pretty much to me. The video with all those Phil face close-ups that look like the weird neighbor down the street must have threw me off.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

^^^^^^This. Phil Collins and Genesis were ubiquitous in the '84-'87 timeframe. The 1986-87 tour was filling STADIUMS for multiple dates in each city. Genesis was indeed huge in the mid-80s. And honestly, they were big in the 70s as well. They were a solid arena act from 1975-on.
  • Like 1

Signals as a debut album from an unknown band with nothing but perhaps a local following would have been drowned out by all the other stuff that was popular in the early 80s. Kids were generally into a very different sound back then (Michael Jackson, Culture Club, The Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Human League). Signals as a debut would have signaled a very short career for Rush.
  • Like 2

My opinion: If you take anything in the context of Rush out of time or the order of the albums, it makes no sense to the average listener, let alone the industry. Their evolution is uniquely that... *their* evolution. They are the Dodo Bird. Unique and extinct.

Considering Signals was the top of their hill creatively......if they started with that without all that classic stuff. Whew......that diminishes their status a lot,

Mick

I'd say that Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows were the pinnacle of their creativity.

Considering Signals was the top of their hill creatively......if they started with that without all that classic stuff. Whew......that diminishes their status a lot,

Mick

I'd say that Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows were the pinnacle of their creativity.

I think he meant thats right before they started rolling down the hill, not their pinnacle.

I think that Rush would probably have struggled if they hadn't made any of the albums before and including MP. I don't think that this board would exist and if it did most of us (including me) probably wouldn't be here. Most of Rush's best music was made before Signals so I'm not sure that they would be able to build up a following because alot of of their fans/followers are (I think) from 2112 and MP.

Just be thankful that they have made these albums

Mick

I think he meant thats right before they started rolling down the hill, not their pinnacle.

That's correct. Not to say i don't love the records after Signals......i do. I just think after signals whether we realized it or or.....it was the beginning of a slow downward trend. Just my 2 cents.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

That's correct. Not to say i don't love the records after Signals......i do. I just think after signals whether we realized it or or.....it was the beginning of a slow downward trend. Just my 2 cents.

Mick

Mick is right as usual.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Commercially, yes.

But i think Rush reached their 80's post-MP peak with HYF.

My goodness i have consumed to much sugar.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Commercially, yes.

Unfortunately HYF was the beginning of Rush not knowing when enough is Enough on an album.. Tai shan and High Water suck :P

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

Commercially, yes.

Unfortunately HYF was the beginning of Rush not knowing when enough is Enough on an album.. Tai shan and High Water suck :P

Mick

Buddy: Shut up.

Lol!

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Commercially, yes.

I agree. Hold Your Fire rocks. Sugar on, Segue!

Mick

Mick

Commercially, yes.

Mick

Even though Force Ten was written last...