Who here saw Rush on the AFTK and/or Signals tour(s)?

Lorraine

I would like to hear what you remember about the concert(s) and the songs they did, especially Xanadu and The Weapon. :)

:popcorn:

I remember Xanadu and of course The Weapon with The Count from SCTV doing the intro on the Signals tour.

I sure as heck didn't see either. My dad was six-seven years old during the Signals tour.

Holy crap. Seriously?

I am a few years older than your dad. I'm only 41, and that makes me feel like this guy --> :codger:

Didn't see my first Rush show until the Presto tour. I was not quite 17 at the time, and just went alone. It was plenty powerful enough for me. :)

I don't think I've ever seen The Weapon performed, but I'm sure I've seen Xanadu (or at least some of it, you know).

Would love to see either one performed in the future, absolutely!

Been meaning to dig these out. Ticket at left is the concert I saw that was between ATWAS and AFTK, middle ticket is Moving Pictures tour and ticket at left is Signals tour. I seem to be missing my ticket stubs from Hemispheres, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire tours. I'll post a pic if I find them. I have tickets from more recent tours also if anyone is interested in seeing them too.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/notperfekt/earlyRushtiks_zpsae2b91ca.jpg

• Like 1

I sure as heck didn't see either. My dad was six-seven years old during the Signals tour.

Holy crap. Seriously?

I am a few years older than your dad. I'm only 41, and that makes me feel like this guy --> :codger:

Didn't see my first Rush show until the Presto tour. I was not quite 17 at the time, and just went alone. It was plenty powerful enough for me. :)

:LOL: I feel like a baby now! Yeah, I'm only 16 myself. Wish I'd gotten into Rush a bit earlier, 'cause it looks like they don't have very many years left…

The Signals tour was my first time seeing Rush. It was at the L.A. Forum.

Actually the most memorable thing about the show was the call I got at 7 p.m. from my friend telling me that our tickets were for that night, not the following night as he had told us. I was in High School and had a math test the next day that I was going to study for that night. But I knew what my priorities were and went to the show.

We saw the end of Golden Earring's set. If I recall correctly the last two songs were Twilight Zone and Radar Love, so I didn't feel like I missed anything important.

Having ESL and not knowing any better, I expected TSOR to be followed by Red Barchetta. So I was pretty surprised when it was Tom Sawyer that followed and Freewill followed that. What a way to start a show!

The setlist was pretty good. I do recall the Weapon, but not the intro video. I just recalled watching Neil in amazement with how unorthodox his drumming was on that song. And Alex's solo was sweet. We had lousy seats behind the stage, with Geddy and Alex facing the other way. But it was close to Neil so I mostly just watched him play which was great. Alex came back our way a couple times to acknowledge the fans back there.

The light show was good. The sound was really good. The crowd's enthusiasm did wane a bit when they played new songs. They played the whole Signals record except Losing It.

The encore was good, except they played this one song I'd never heard, which the crowd went crazy for. I remember thinking what's so great about this song, it's the worst thing they've played all night. That was In The Mood. I still hate that song.

I bought a Signals t-shirt and proudly represented the next day at school. I even did okay on my math test.

• Like 3

Been meaning to dig these out. Ticket at left is the concert I saw that was between ATWAS and AFTK, middle ticket is Moving Pictures tour and ticket at left is Signals tour. I seem to be missing my ticket stubs from Hemispheres, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire tours. I'll post a pic if I find them. I have tickets from more recent tours also if anyone is interested in seeing them too.

:LOL: :lol: :LOL: $9.90!!!!! Tax included! :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Those were the days! :7up:

• Like 1

Actually the most memorable thing about the show was the call I got at 7 p.m. from my friend telling me that our tickets were for that night, not the following night as he had told us. I was in High School and had a math test the next day that I was going to study for that night. But I knew what my priorities were and went to the show.

We saw the end of Golden Earring's set. If I recall correctly the last two songs were Twilight Zone and Radar Love, so I didn't feel like I missed anything important.

Having ESL and not knowing any better, I expected TSOR to be followed by Red Barchetta. So I was pretty surprised when it was Tom Sawyer that followed and Freewill followed that. What a way to start a show!

The setlist was pretty good. I do recall the Weapon, but not the intro video. I just recalled watching Neil in amazement with how unorthodox his drumming was on that song. And Alex's solo was sweet. We had lousy seats behind the stage, with Geddy and Alex facing the other way. But it was close to Neil so I mostly just watched him play which was great. Alex came back our way a couple times to acknowledge the fans back there.

The light show was good. The sound was really good. The crowd's enthusiasm did wane a bit when they played new songs. They played the whole Signals record except Losing It.

The encore was good, except they played this one song I'd never heard, which the crowd went crazy for. I remember thinking what's so great about this song, it's the worst thing they've played all night. That was In The Mood. I still hate that song.

I bought a Signals t-shirt and proudly represented the next day at school. I even did okay on my math test.

Thanks for posting this.

The Weapon is the only Rush song I would love to be as close to Neil as you were. His concentration during that song is supreme. It had to be for him not to lose his beat.

Glad you managed to not only pass your math test, but get a Signals t-shirt as well. Most important, you had your priorities in order, even back then! :)

Used to love representing with my tour shirt the next day in school. Good times.

:LOL: :lol: :LOL: $9.90!!!!! Tax included! :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Those were the days! :7up:

That's nothing. My first Rush concert, the 1977 show, was Max Webster, Starcastle, Styx, and Rush. Cost of ticket? $5.00!

• Like 2

I can't find my Massey Hall stub and it drives me crazy. Soon after that show, I started scrap books and for about 10 years, I have 7 books full of ticket stubs and concert reviews. Some great memories......and lots of old Rush stubs....just not the big one.
  • Like 1

All I remember is 3rd row Radio City Music Hall in NYC, the set list was heavy on Signals, MP and PW with many of the 70's standards getting played.

AFTK I was ten and did not know RUSH exsisted.

Edited by Battlestarfilmmaker