Best and Worst Book Adaptations to Film

Bastille Night

Well, I searched for this topic and found threads for Grisham and King, but no others. So, what are your favorite and most hated book adaptations to film? I am a diehard reader from my formative years, and I am usually disappointed with film adaptations of my favorite books. However, there are a few good ones out there. So to get things started, here are a couple:

My Favorites: Stand by Me, Lord of the Rings (one of the 'unfilmable' books), Shawshank Redemption (hmmmm, two Stephen King stories)

My Least Favorite: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.......one of my favorite books (another 'unfilmable' book), one of my favorite directors (Terry Gilliam) and two of my favorite actors (Johnny Depp and Benicio del Toro), yet the film didn't work for me at all. mad.gif

So, how 'bout you?

Best adaptation in that the movie version was orders of magnitude better than the book: Jurassic Park.

Andromeda Strain was actually fairly decent.. and LOTR trilogy was also very good. Another good mention is Eye of the Needle.

As far as worst adaptation goes.. that has to go to Rand's "The Fountainhead." Burt Lancaster giving 6 minute Randian soliloquies was enough to make one deficate.

Best -- Lord of the Rings

Worst -- Harry Potter 1&2, James and the Giant Peach, Dune, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Aug 1 2005, 07:32 PM)
My Least Favorite:  Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.......one of my favorite books (another 'unfilmable' book), one of my favorite directors (Terry Gilliam) and two of my favorite actors (Johnny Depp and Benicio del Toro), yet the film didn't work for me at all. mad.gif

Back when I read the book, I had no idea what the words mescaline or ether meant. I kept having to look up all the narcotics mentioned (which there are a lot of...), and I felt a distance from the narrator that detracted from my appreciation of his story. The movie, on the other hand, was far more accessible. I also thought the acting and direction were great. So here I'd say the movie worked better for me than the book. Some day, though, I'll have to read it again.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Aug 2 2005, 01:36 AM)
One of my favorites is Gettysburg, adapted from Michael Shaara's Killer Angels.

Yeah, but Gods and Generals absolutly sucked.

The book was ecellent, but the movie was terrible. It should have been called "Stonewall Jackson drinks lemonade." What gets me is they cut out the battle of Antietam/Sharpsburg and kept in the stuff during the winter camps in. It would have been a hell of a lot more interesting if they didn't jump from 1st Bull Run/Manassas all the way to Fredricksburg (which was over the course of a full year and a half). The battle scenes used the same footage over and over again and they didn't capture the brutality of the war at all. The closest thing to it they showed was a guy with his arm missing.

As much as I despise this movie there were actually two parts of it that I enjoyed. Jackson's farewell speech (because I was in that part) and the part with the Irish. The rest of it... meh.

Well ,kazzman beat me to it in worst department GODS AND GENERALS,great book horrible movie. THE GREEN MILE staring Tom Hanks very good adaptation of Stephen Kings novel. Hell we can do a entire thread on the best and worst adaptations to film on Kings books alone ! wink.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Aug 2 2005, 01:49 AM)
As far as worst adaptation goes.. that has to go to Rand's "The Fountainhead." Burt Lancaster giving 6 minute Randian soliloquies was enough to make one deficate.

Funny, I always thought it was gary Cooper in The Fountainhead....

As to my favourites:

Lord of the Rings (live action not the apalling animated)

The Andromeda Strain

The Hunt for Red October

worst

Paycheck

I Robot

Day of the Triffids

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 2 2005, 04:23 AM)
Funny, I always thought it was gary Cooper in The Fountainhead....

I stand corrected.

I also agree with Hunt for Red October.. great film.

2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY- Only after reading Arther C. Clarkes book,saw the movie first thought it was a wacked out acid trip.THEN I read the book and it all made sense perfect adaptation. Can't say the same for sequel 2010 mediocre at best although the appearance of David Bowman was done well.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Aug 2 2005, 04:39 PM)
I'd have to agree with Slaine. Paycheck was horrible. Might be one of the worst movies I've EVER seen. 062802puke_prv.gif

To add insult to injury, the original short story was great - then again, we are talking Philip K Dick

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Aug 1 2005, 08:49 PM)
Andromeda Strain was actually fairly decent.. and LOTR trilogy was also very good. Another good mention is Eye of the Needle.

Eye of the Needle - wow! I never read the book, but I remember seeing the movie when it came out like 25 years ago or so. I've wanted to see it again ever since, but never find it at video stores - I remember it being a really well done espionage movie with Donald Sutherland - one day I'll come across it again...

QUOTE (physics23 @ Aug 1 2005, 11:43 PM)
QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Aug 1 2005, 07:32 PM)
My Least Favorite:  Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.......one of my favorite books (another 'unfilmable' book), one of my favorite directors (Terry Gilliam) and two of my favorite actors (Johnny Depp and Benicio del Toro), yet the film didn't work for me at all. mad.gif

Back when I read the book, I had no idea what the words mescaline or ether meant. I kept having to look up all the narcotics mentioned (which there are a lot of...), and I felt a distance from the narrator that detracted from my appreciation of his story. The movie, on the other hand, was far more accessible. I also thought the acting and direction were great. So here I'd say the movie worked better for me than the book. Some day, though, I'll have to read it again.

I read this book back when I WAS into drugs (or shortly after I quit), though of course I hadn't done most of the drugs they talk about (after all, there were so MANY of them). I enjoyed the book fairly well back then, but I really didn't like the film at all - it was really depressing, probably what I would think of the book if I was to read it again today - an exercise in way over-the-top self-indlugence almost beyond reason...

Another great adaptation was 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'. I didn't read Kesey's book until after I saw the movie, but I ended up loving both. Fabulous film. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Another horrendous adaptation was 'Even Cowgirls Get the Blues'. I really liked Tom Robbins' novel, but the movie was just awful.....even with Uma Thurman to look at. wacko.gif

Worst: 'The Legend Of Bagger Vance'. Redford TOTALLY missed the point of the book! mad.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 5 2005, 08:17 AM)
Worst: 'The Legend Of Bagger Vance'. Redford TOTALLY missed the point of the book! mad.gif

Wow. The book must have been something special then, since I thought the movie was really good.

It's been a long time, but I remember reading The World According to Garp, and while the movie didn't capture everything, I thought it was a fantastic movie nonetheless...

Now Simon Birch on the other hand I remember as being good, but nowhere near the book A Prayer for Owen Meaney, also by John Irving...

Garp was a good adaptation, and Im also very impressed with Jackson's LOTR trilogy (notwithstanding the last 15/20 mins of Return...).

Worst - At the moment, having just re-read Ludlims "The Bourne Identity", There was so much left out of the film that's where my vote goes.