Why Does Everything Else Suck?

sullysue

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It happens to everybody...right now, all you want to listen to is Rush...so, just listen to Rush until you burn out on that and do something else. Just try different things and see what works for you.

I've never been like that at all...there are people I know from this site (not naming any names) who seem to listen to Rush 24/7 and little else...I maybe have a short attention span, but I can't listen to any one band for too long without getting bored...I was on vacation for these last 2 weeks, and I barely listened to any Rush at all (Except HYF and TFE about halfway through the vacation), and then the last few days when we were working our way home, I listened to pretty much 95% Rush...Truth is, I barely listen to my Rush CDs anymore, but I still listen to them all the time on vinyl and bootlegs. I've never been "exclusively" Rush like you seem to be now, but I've never burned out on them either. I know people who still count Rush as their favorite band but barely listen to them anymore...I'm not like that...I still listen to them a lot, but I'm just as likely to put in something else as I am to but on a Rush CD.

Another thing I agree with you on though...Rush is definitely "MY" band...There are some bands whose music I love almost as much as Rush, maybe even equally, but no other band I think will ever be an extension of my life again the way Rush has, if you get my meaning. Rush is the only band where I have absolutely committed to memory their entire discography and every little thing about their history...the only band that I would ever pay major money to see like 10 times in a row (as I plan to do on the next tour), the only band that if I see someone wearing a Rush shirt in a store I will make an attempt to strike up a conversation with.

Maybe this isn't such a bad thing. I COULD be obsessed with Hoobasink. And Eel pie is bad. I feel a little better. I guess I just needed you all to let me know that either I am an insane, delusional freak or it's all good. I'm not sure yet, but thanks.

I know how you feel, I'm kinda going through that phase right now myself. Rush has been my favorite band for close to 23 years now but they were never the only band I listened to. I've gone through a couple of periods where I was having a hard time in my life and my interest in music waned. However, Rush was always there and at times, like now, they were the only band I felt like listening to. The phase I'm in now is that I don't know where to turn musically because I got burned out on classic rock and I've heard nothing of new rock that catches my ear. Mostly I can't get past the singing style that sounds like they're about to slit their own wrists or just bend over and throw up. Even if the lyrics are upbeat the singing makes it sound like the guy just wants to end it all.

So anyway, that's where I am now. I found myself listening almost exclusively to Rush but I've also gravitated back to the heavy metal of my youth; Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, etc.

I guess something will turn up. I kept hearing and reading member profiles about Dream Theater so I bought one of their cd's today. I hope I like it. good luck to ya.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 1 2005, 08:03 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 1 2005, 07:50 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 1 2005, 06:50 PM)
Wait!

What were we talking about? wacko.gif

How bad eel pie is 062802puke_prv.gif

Eel pie would be bad.

Can you 2 please get back to talking about hair pie... please drool1.gif

SS-

I feel the same way you do .. I've been listening to Rush I was 6 years old (thanks to my brother), and I just always felt a real attachment to them, even at that young an age. I didn't understand anything they were talking about back then, but I just remember feeling really happy when my brother would play them, and I didn't want to listen to anything else.

That 'happy' feeling stayed with me over the course of my life, listening to more & more of their songs. I never got tired of them. They've rode along with me through happy times, and carried me through during the sad times. They are beyond just music.

And, they put the 'class' in classic. rose.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Aug 2 2005, 04:09 AM)
Wait!

Eel pie would be bad.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Riv @ Aug 1 2005, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Aug 2 2005, 04:09 AM)
Wait!

Eel pie would be bad.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Aug 1 2005, 08:43 PM)
hey SILLY have you heard the LIVE AT LEEDS DELUXE EDITION?

very nice and reminds me of LIFESON alot

No.

Silly.

And "alot" isn't a word. "A lot" is correct.

tongue.gif

I do listen to other bands all the time!

But I left my heart in Rush's music. heart.gif

From first hand experience, if you see Kasabian front row and 2 feet infront of your face, your opinion on them will change wink.gif

But I think everyone has phases that they go through with bands, where they cannot get enough of one kind of band. I went through a Sublime phase in middle school, then a Metallica phase, an Iron Maiden phase, and a Rush phase. I do find now though that I dont seem to do this any longer, or if I get stuck on one artist for a while, I still am able to go to other artists, maybe in a completely different genre, and appreciate it. What you cant do is compare one band to another, especially in the case of Rush, because lets face it, hardly any other band can compete. But you have to be able to take things for what they are worth, sure Kasabian may not be at all in Rush's calibur of musicianship, but they are doing their own unique thing that is completely seperate from them. Just because one thing may be better in your mind then another, doesnt mean the other thing is bad.

Of course,everything else does not suck.Rush is just far superior to everything else especially when you take the 30+ year span of their career.So there is a lot to listen to.Personally,I like to cycle in Neil Young cd's as I'm a big fan of Mr.Young as well.The common ground here might be their uniqueness and of course their sizable discographies.

I say,make no apologies,you know what you love.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 1 2005, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ Aug 1 2005, 08:43 PM)
hey SILLY have you heard the LIVE AT LEEDS DELUXE EDITION?

very nice and reminds me of LIFESON alot

no.gif

yeah i recommend it highly for these songs especially.

I'M A BOY

I CAN'T EXPLAIN

A QUICK ONE

HAPPY JACK

TOMMY (entirety)

plus parts of TOMMY (*SPARKS) sound just like 2112 (DISCOVERY).

worth the full price. i would send it to you but you live way the hell over there trink38.gif

I am stuck on Rush. A year ago, I had never heard of AC/DC, LEd Zeppelin, the Who or Rush. I had just graduated from elementary school. An aunt gave me a subscription t a P2P server for graduation. I discovered music. I went through phases and now my parents claim I am in my rush phase. But its been 5 months. I have 11 cds and combine those with some downloads 11 hours of rush music.

They are the best. IN my dreams people are singing Rush music. I'll listen to other stuff and think "this is good but not Rush." So i guess I am obsessed and my friends got tired of me talking about RUsh, so this is my outlet.

Well I guess I could say I'm in a Rush stage...for like 3 years now LOL...

tell you the truth my mom wanted me to stop listening to Rush...she thought it was a bad influence... fing.gif fing.gif fing.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 1 2005, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 1 2005, 06:55 PM)
There is nothing wrong with you SS.  Here is what it is in a nutshell:

YOU GET IT!!!!

That's all it is.  I have the same "problem".  My friends get in the car & ask "Don't you have anything besides Rush to listen to?"  "Ummm, no.  Why do I need anythign else?"  Actually I do have other stuff, but I have 3 cd cases in my car, one for Rush & one for everything else. tongue.gif

ps: I am little obsessed so my opinion may not be valid

That only 2 cd cases. What's the third one for?

Digital_Man sometimes has problems with third things: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8098&st=43.

You kind of have to pokey.gif to get it out of him...

(Although you might prefer the bd.gif method.)

Archived