Why Does Everything Else Suck?

sullysue

This is something I've been thinking about over the last couple of weeks. I'm seriously concerned. But, I suspect I'm not alone. So, perhaps it IS time for that support group.

I've been listening to Rush since I was 12. The first album I bought with my own $ was a Rush album. (And, for that matter, the last CD I bought was Rush.) When Moving Pictures came out, I practically feel to my knees, yelling "THANK YOU!!!" The best I could find musically in 1981 was The Clash, The Police, Genesis. All good bands, mind you. But, when I pulled out the album sleeve of MP, read down through the lyrics with my headphones on (freaking out, because I hadn't heard drums like that EVER), I felt like I had found MY band. No stupid stories about gettin' laid, gettin' drunk, gettin' stoned, rebelling against the establishment and killing my parents. It was incredible. I hadn't really paid attention to the "music" of music before then, and Rush's music taught me to actively listen to the instruments.

Anyway, about 12 years ago, I had lost my overwhelming enthusiasm, but always considered Rush my all time favorite band. I saw them on the Roll The Bones tour, but I had expanded my musical tastes and felt a bit dissapointed by the concert. (It may have had something to do with my missing link of a date and our seats in the outter circle of the atmosphere.) Just this past March, I dug out my Moving Pictures and Grace Under Pressure CDs, and my heart dropped into my shoes. I listened to them over, and over, and over. I went to iTunes and downloaded everything I have on vinyl that I lacked on CD and a couple I didn't have before at all.

Now, my husband thinks I've lost it. He likes Rush, and if I get him drunk enough, we will talk all night about them. But, he asked me this weekend, "What happended to that Kasabian CD you were so gung ho over? Why don't we listen to that?" The first thing that popped into my head was, "Because they suck. Let's listen to Counterparts." At that very moment, I felt like this... unsure.gif "I am losing it. Help me." I can't stand to listen to ANYTHING else right now. I've tried The Who, Led Zep, The Police.... everything. It all stinks.

Now, I know well enough by now that I'm going to get razzed like hell by some of you. I'm ok with that. For the rest of you....

Help me. sad.gif

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why analyze it?

I say, go with the flow. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/icon_meditate.gif

Shit happens. I think most people go through periods where a certain band or type of music is all they listen to. I'm concerned that you are asking for help for this. Is there an underlying issue perhaps? confused13.gif

If not, don't worry about it. It could be worse. You could be stuck on Hoobastink you know.

I'm not much help, but I've felt like that sometimes. Granted, I haven't been a fan nearly as long as you have, but I've actually had that exact thing happen to me! ("Why can't we listen to this? I'm sick of Rush!" "Because those guys suck. But we can switch over to Power Windows if you prefer!")

I think Rush is really a genre all their own. Their lyrics are different, their playing is different, their attitude is different. I am literally the only person I know (outside of this forum, of course) that can sit and listen to nothing but Rush for hours and hours on end. I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with that, but sometimes it is nice to be able to say that there's more than one music group that you like.

This is just one man's perspective, but I've found even though I like Rush's rock feel, I really don't like the Rock genre that much. I mean, Toto is pretty good and there are songs here and there that I like to hear once in a while but it's just not my thing. I especially can't stand punk rock, but only because around where I live everyone and their dog starts a punk band and they think they're just the cheese. I've found that the other music I like has almost nothing to do with Rush - and some do. For example, I really enjoy some Jazz music, and then there's Blue Man Group, which is another odd band that has a very unique sound. I'm also getting into a style of music called waveform/ambient dub/exotic electronica - it's the wierdest stuff i've ever heard. Maybe you'll like stuff that isn't much like Rush at all too.

Like I said, I'm not much help, but when it comes to anything close to Rush, Rush is all there is!!!

QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 1 2005, 03:42 PM)
Why analyze it?

I say, go with the flow. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/icon_meditate.gif

Shit happens. I think most people go through periods where a certain band or type of music is all they listen to. I'm concerned that you are asking for help for this. Is there an underlying issue perhaps? confused13.gif
If not, don't worry about it. It could be worse. You could be stuck on Hoobastink you know.

uh huh...for awhile I only listened to Rush for like a year...then I finally came into more of the snowboarding world where there were a ton of really good local and indie bands..and opened my eyes to all tastes of music...Kinda took a vacation of Rush for a while and then went Rush crazy again...now I listen to pretty much everything including Rush everyday... smile.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 1 2005, 05:24 PM)
This is something I've been thinking about over the last couple of weeks. I'm seriously concerned. But, I suspect I'm not alone. So, perhaps it IS time for that support group.

I've been listening to Rush since I was 12. The first album I bought with my own $ was a Rush album. (And, for that matter, the last CD I bought was Rush.) When Moving Pictures came out, I practically feel to my knees, yelling "THANK YOU!!!" The best I could find musically in 1981 was The Clash, The Police, Genesis. All good bands, mind you. But, when I pulled out the album sleeve of MP, read down through the lyrics with my headphones on (freaking out, because I hadn't heard drums like that EVER), I felt like I had found MY band. No stupid stories about gettin' laid, gettin' drunk, gettin' stoned, rebelling against the establishment and killing my parents. It was incredible. I hadn't really paid attention to the "music" of music before then, and Rush's music taught me to actively listen to the instruments.

Anyway, about 12 years ago, I had lost my overwhelming enthusiasm, but always considered Rush my all time favorite band. I saw them on the Roll The Bones tour, but I had expanded my musical tastes and felt a bit dissapointed by the concert. (It may have had something to do with my missing link of a date and our seats in the outter circle of the atmosphere.) Just this past March, I dug out my Moving Pictures and Grace Under Pressure CDs, and my heart dropped into my shoes. I listened to them over, and over, and over. I went to iTunes and downloaded everything I have on vinyl that I lacked on CD and a couple I didn't have before at all.

Now, my husband thinks I've lost it. He likes Rush, and if I get him drunk enough, we will talk all night about them. But, he asked me this weekend, "What happended to that Kasabian CD you were so gung ho over? Why don't we listen to that?" The first thing that popped into my head was, "Because they suck. Let's listen to Counterparts." At that very moment, I felt like this... unsure.gif "I am losing it. Help me." I can't stand to listen to ANYTHING else right now. I've tried The Who, Led Zep, The Police.... everything. It all stinks.

Now, I know well enough by now that I'm going to get razzed like hell by some of you. I'm ok with that. For the rest of you....

Help me. sad.gif

My last Rush obsession lasted about 8 months, when I couldn't listen to much else. Right now I listen to Tool and Radiohead and jazz, mostly.

I might suggest listening to something that is not Rush-like at all. Maybe folk, like Harry Chapin, Or perhaps some jazz or classical.

One idea is to go to the library and close your eyes and pick 4-5 CD's at random. Bring those home and listen carefully to what the musicians are trying to do. It's actually how I got "unstuck". I brought home something from The Empire Brass, a Charlie Parker, A Dvorak and an Aaron Copland. I liked them all.

Rush really makes the weaknesses of other rock bands stand out so you may be forced to listen to other types of music.

I want to add that music choice reflects my mood. If I'm having a tough go of things, I listen to the hardest punk tracks I have. Sometimes it's the lyrics or the music that I can relate to at that time.

You may be listening to Rush to cope with something or to suit your mood? confused13.gif

.05 cents please.

I think you answered your own question by saying " No stupid stories about gettin' laid, gettin' drunk, gettin' stoned, rebelling against the establishment and killing my parents". Rush's lyrics are timeless. Timeless in the sense that with some bands, you have to be in a certain state of mind, with certian things going on to be able to listen to it and go... "Whoa, that's.. real."

But with Rush, I find if you pick up any studio album, it can stick with you. I mean, it sounds wrong to say, but a Rush song can never have "sentimental value" for me, because the lyrics hit me that way all the time. For instance... hmm... first thing that comes to mind... ahh! Vapor Trails, the song. When I first heard it, I was dealing with a lot of personal problems, like inner emotional crap, and that song hit me. But a few months later, I was dealing with family moving away that I lived with for years and years, and it hit me the same way. So for me, Rush's lyrics are powerful at any time, thus making it truly timeless.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 1 2005, 05:42 PM)
Why analyze it?

I don't think there is any underlying issue, except for the fact that it's weird.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Aug 1 2005, 11:07 PM)

uh huh...for awhile I only listened to Rush for like a year...

...Kinda took a vacation of Rush for a while and then went Rush crazy again...now I listen to pretty much everything including Rush everyday... smile.gif

That sounds a bit like me too. The wife put it down to the whole 'seeing them for the first time in 12 years' thing. She was probably right.

I've got out of that now, sort of.

I will listen to other bands (ELP and the B-52s are getting quite a look in at the moment) but I'm still leaning haevilly towards Rush.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 1 2005, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 1 2005, 05:42 PM)
Why analyze it?

I don't think there is any underlying issue, except for the fact that it's weird.

Like I said. If not, don't worry about it.

I think MSC has a good suggestion. I have a lot of blues CD's, especially Stevie Ray Vaughn and Buddy Guy. I guess my point is that it has gotten to where it is making me uncomfortable. Guilty almost. It's strange.

And then there's the Alex thing... scared.gif

I need to re-examine that underlying issues thing. sad.gif

There is nothing wrong with you SS. Here is what it is in a nutshell:

YOU GET IT!!!!

That's all it is. I have the same "problem". My friends get in the car & ask "Don't you have anything besides Rush to listen to?" "Ummm, no. Why do I need anythign else?" Actually I do have other stuff, but I have 3 cd cases in my car, one for Rush & one for everything else. tongue.gif

ps: I am little obsessed so my opinion may not be valid

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 2 2005, 01:03 AM)
I like Kasabian...

Me too, I also like cheese and I also like soup drool1.gif

I think we all have crazes on bands then go on to the next one, but we always come back to the ones we like best smile.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ Aug 1 2005, 06:18 PM)
I like Kasabian...

I think we all have crazes on bands then go on to the next one, but we always come back to the ones we like best smile.gif

Pie is good.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 1 2005, 07:21 PM)
I like Kasabian...

Pie is good.

What kind of pie, though. Not all pie is good.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 1 2005, 06:55 PM)
There is nothing wrong with you SS. Here is what it is in a nutshell:

YOU GET IT!!!!

That's all it is. I have the same "problem". My friends get in the car & ask "Don't you have anything besides Rush to listen to?" "Ummm, no. Why do I need anythign else?" Actually I do have other stuff, but I have 3 cd cases in my car, one for Rush & one for everything else. tongue.gif

ps: I am little obsessed so my opinion may not be valid

That only 2 cd cases. What's the third one for?

Sully, nothing wierd about ya. According to my studies here at TRF, and my current hypothesis, you are totally normal.

I smell skunk out side. unsure.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 1 2005, 06:22 PM)
I like Kasabian...

Pie is good.

Lots of good pie out there.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 1 2005, 07:30 PM)
I like Kasabian...

Pie is good.

Chocolate cream pie. MMMMMM drool1.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 1 2005, 07:30 PM)
I like Kasabian...

Pie is good.

There's also some pretty nasty pie.

Archived