Steven Wilson's 4th Solo Album

Union 5-3992

Porcupine Tree and Pineapple Thief are two great bands that I constantly confuse.

They sound nothing like each other! :eh:

Not the music, the names!

I prefer Pineapple Thief but I still keep muddling the band names up...

I once bought a Pineapple Thief album, after a couple of listens I had to take it outside and down to the pond in the far field and bury it in the mud so I could begin to forget that I'd ever bought it!

Nice story.

Still prefer Pineapple Thief. All the way.

:eyeroll:

Ok...will start exploring Porcupine Tree.

I never realised until today how awful Pineapple Thiefs lyrics are. I like their sound, but I sat and read the lyrics and I thought they read like the journals of a twelve year old girl.

Read some Porcupine Tree lyrics...far more interesting so will have to explore the music again!

I first investigated PT a few months ago - started with the live version of Arriving Somewhere but not Here on Youtube just because I liked the title. All I can say is I found this totally mesmerising. I am now completely addicted to PT and SW's solo work and I'm now investigating some of his other side projects and collaborations including Blackfield, Storm Corrosion and Bass Communion.

Blackfield's first couple of albums are superb. They are more poppy than PT and they were great live when I saw them in Manchester though Aviv Geffen is an acquired taste.

No-Man are worth a look, try All The Blue Changes a 2 disc anthology, they tend to be softer than Wilson's other work; ambient, I believe they call it 'Dream Pop' but some good stuff.

This new album will be awesome as usual. It's going to be a big wow factor.

I get what people are saying about get back to PT. Well I like both. Don't care. The music is great. Bottom line that's what it's all about. Steve Wilson is a unique cat. I love the musicians he brings into his music He's got a great guitar player and drummer. If you don't have a great drummer for his music it's going to fall flat. Like GFD. Music was great drumming sucked. He's got Marco now. Can't wait for the new album and tour. Will be nice to see Marco in San Pedro in January with the Aristocrats. NAMM is always a fun time of year here in LA. KABOOOOM

• Like 2

Blackfield's first couple of albums are superb. They are more poppy than PT and they were great live when I saw them in Manchester though Aviv Geffen is an acquired taste.

No-Man are worth a look, try All The Blue Changes a 2 disc anthology, they tend to be softer than Wilson's other work; ambient, I believe they call it 'Dream Pop' but some good stuff.

The first two Blackfield albums are incredible. IEM is ok. The Incredible Expanding Mindfuck

Porcupine Tree and Pineapple Thief are two great bands that I constantly confuse.

I once bought a Pineapple Thief album, after a couple of listens I had to take it outside and down to the pond in the far field and bury it in the mud so I could begin to forget that I'd ever bought it!

Nice story.

I never realised until today how awful Pineapple Thiefs lyrics are. I like their sound, but I sat and read the lyrics and I thought they read like the journals of a twelve year old girl.

Read some Porcupine Tree lyrics...far more interesting so will have to explore the music again!

Nice story.

I bought many Pineapple Thief albums on the KSCOPE label. THEY SUCK!

Excited about this release and seeing him live again. The music he produces sounds even better live,

down to the stellar musicians he surrounds himself with.

A return of Porcupine Tree became more problematic once Harrison joined King Crimson.

PT are a "side-project" for Wilson, but the basis for his popularity. We may see them return, but with a new drummer.

He has stated that he more or less has left No-Man now, although I'm not sure about Blackfield, another brilliant live band.

Excited about this release and seeing him live again. The music he produces sounds even better live,

down to the stellar musicians he surrounds himself with.

A return of Porcupine Tree became more problematic once Harrison joined King Crimson.

PT are a "side-project" for Wilson, but the basis for his popularity. We may see them return, but with a new drummer.

He has stated that he more or less has left No-Man now, although I'm not sure about Blackfield, another brilliant live band.

I think a PT reunion without Gavin is pointless (unless he got Chris Maitland back and went old-school PT.) Regardless, Gavin's playing with Krim is sporadic at best, and while they will tour the UK in 2015, certainly SW would work out dates as such to play with GH (though probably not before 2016.) Also, had to mention that Marco Minnemann continues to play and tour with The Aristocrats and Joe Satriani while being the main drummer in SW's solo band. There are strong hints from SW that he will include some PT material in his solo 2015 tours - another reason a PT reunion seems irrelevant.

Also, I wouldn't describe PT as a SW "side project". I would say it was his band up until the time he started writing music under his own name.

• Like 1

You've mixed up the bands. He left Blackfield officially on May 1st of this year after one final show with the band in NYC, but No-Man is something that he said that he would be interested in making another album but his solo career is the priority.

Third video available on Steven Wilsons site. New musical material and an interview about the packaging. Music is very proggy like we know him. Superb! Got myself tickets for his next show in March in the Netherlands. Really looking forward to this new album.
  • Like 1

I dig how he's unabashedly going prog on everyone's asses, even though he always criticized that sort of thing. I guess in recent years he's decided to drop the whole, "hey, I'm a SERIOUS musician! I've listened to radiohead!" act

I dig how he's unabashedly going prog on everyone's asses, even though he always criticized that sort of thing. I guess in recent years he's decided to drop the whole, "hey, I'm a SERIOUS musician! I've listened to radiohead!" act

Nothing's changed actually, he's just a hypocrite like everyone else. I don't think his praise for Radiohead is an act either.

US leg of the tour has been announced.

Unfortunately, per Marco's facebook yesterday, both he and Guthrie will not be playing the US legs with SW..... :( Disappointing to say the least! But I am still thinking of travelling to see the show.... afterall, it's freakin' SW. I'm sure he'll have capable subs - though I have to say, I saw him with Chad Wackerman on drums last time around - I have respect for Chad and had even seen him with Zappa, but it did not mesh or have the same energy as Marco...

• Like 1

Unfortunately, per Marco's facebook yesterday, both he and Guthrie will not be playing the US legs with SW..... :( Disappointing to say the least!

No Marco? I'm not one to attend concerts (nearly ever; never any more), and that news still manages to disappoint me.