What decade does Permanent Waves really belong in?

Lorraine

1980s album. It would be a 70s album if they had included the Sir Gawain and the Green Knight suite instead of Natural Science.

Please explain?

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight was a piece of English literature that would have had more of a 1970s Yes or KC vibe to i had it ever been made into song. Natural Science is had that streamlined 80s rock vibe.

The '70s was a lot more than Yes or KC. Permanent Waves is pure AOR, the characteristic sound of the '70s, apart from disco and punk. Not one video from it, the characteristic trait of mainstream/commercial '80s music. PeW couldn't be more '70s. IMO,

• Like 4

I don't care what decade it belongs too. Either way it is a masterpiece.
  • Like 1

73 is supposed to be banning anyone who says it's from the 80s....what gives?

Why would he do that? He would lose all of his good members.

Sometimes necessary sacrifices must be made, in the name of justice

And logic.

But . . . no need to ban anyone. I don't think people should be driven away just because they are wrong.

• Like 3

Oh hahahaha. Who told you that silliness?

That's 73's way of weeding out the Rush dissidents and leaving the purists. :)

;)

• Like 3

And logic.

But . . . no need to ban anyone. I don't think people should be driven away just because they are wrong.

If thinking PeW is an 80's album is wrong I dont want to be right.

• Like 2

;)

I'm not sure 73 has ever weighed in on the matter? Surely he has more important things to do like confirm various facts. I'm inclined to give obeisance to his judgment . . . I say this with no small degree of trepidation.

;)

I'm not sure 73 has ever weighed in on the matter? Surely he has more important things to do like confirm various facts. I'm inclined to give obeisance to his judgment . . . I say this with no small degree of trepidation.

Me being an admin on this board does not make me an expert on Rush. Others here are far more qualified than I.

But for the sake of argument, for me, there are two ways of looking at it -- when was the album recorded, and when was it released? The release date was January 1, 1980, which means it was recorded in the '70s. Pick one. :)

• Like 2

;)

Me being an admin on this board does not make me an expert on Rush. Others here are far more qualified than I.

But for the sake of argument, for me, there are two ways of looking at it -- when was the album recorded, and when was it released? The release date was January 1, 1980, which means it was recorded in the '70s. Pick one. :)

:o Are you saying it's BOTH?

• Like 3

Here's a (to me) interesting comparison. Genesis' album Duke was released in March of 1980. The band jammed out ideas in mid 1979, rehearsed in August, and recorded up to the end of the year.

Even though Duke sounds quite a lot different from earlier 70s Genesis records, it emerges out of work done in the late 70s. They even considered stringing together the "Albert" songs as one side-long track, but decided not to, thinking it would inevitably be compared to Supper's Ready. But it proves that they were still thinking in those "70s" concept terms.

Duke seems to get the same reception from critics and fans as Permanent Waves - basically that there is quite a lot of "prog" elements (Duke's Travels), but also more pop (Misunderstanding, Turn it on Again), as if the band is making a transition to a new era. Maybe this has been discussed in some Genesis subforum, but for me it confirms that the decision to release something days or months after it was created comes from a different place than where the music comes from.

• Like 1

;)

You are a true diplomat, sir.

• Like 1

;)

We are right back where we started from.

Technically, PW is an '80s album because it was released in 1980. However, it was recorded in the '70s, so IMO, it's a '70s album in spirit.

• Like 2

;)

You are a true diplomat, sir.

That's why he is the Administrator - objective and impartial. :cool:

• Like 1

;)

Technically, PW is an '80s album because it was released in 1980. However, it was recorded in the '70s, so IMO, it's a '70s album in spirit.

That's very funny.

;)

That's very funny.

It's also a good way of looking at it (IMO).

• Like 1