Adrian Peterson Indicted in Texas for "swatting son with a switch"

treeduck

My goodness, look at all the Stockholm Syndrome in here. Getting beat is NOT OK. If you beat your kids like that, you're a monster, pure evil. If your parents did this to you, like mine did to me, it is indefensible. I love my parents, but they were wrong to beat us like they did, leaving welts, and I've told them so.

AP should go to jail.

So, in this instance, you're all for government intervention. At least you are consistent. :eyeroll:

Sorry Aiken but.... :eyeroll: ^^^^^^

...if you want me to add, "in the world we live in," so be it. In a world without government a private force would have him arrested.

Sorry, not going to back down from defending a child, who had no choice of parents, from getting beaten in that manner. No sir. You have to have some principles in life.

On whose authority would this private force act in a world of anarchy? A group of citizens would gather together and instruct them to do so? How is that different from a mob? And since Peterson has a lot of money, what if he pays them more not to arrest him?

This really illustrates that we all have things we think a disinterested government should do. The question is where you draw the line.

Oh, and so as not to derail the thread or get this moved to SOCN, if you beat your kids badly enough to leave injuries on them, you're a violent criminal and should be prosecuted.

Can I answer you later? Tribal, irrational, sports mind has taken over!
  • Like 1

I got the belt and the switch.

But always with my pants on and it was quick and over with. No abuse!! I knew when I deseved it. It served me well in life. This case is looking a lot different. Looking back, I love my Grandma for setting me straight. But that was then and this is now.

That's the painful question, isn't it? When does a child "deserve" the spanking/belt/switch, and when does he not deserve it? :huh: A million people could give a million different answers to that question.

An even more painful question is: Will the NFL Front Office now get into the business of telling players how they can rear/discipline their kids? :o

• Like 1

But always with my pants on and it was quick and over with. No abuse!! I knew when I deseved it. It served me well in life. This case is looking a lot different. Looking back, I love my Grandma for setting me straight. But that was then and this is now.

That's the painful question, isn't it? When does a child "deserve" the spanking/belt/switch, and when does he not deserve it? :huh: A million people could give a million different answers to that question.

An even more painful question is: Will the NFL Front Office now get into the business of telling players how they can rear/discipline their kids? :o

PM is on fire is this thread. Just my opinion. I wish I could explain my position as well.... :cheers:

:blah: Hey NFL human resources.... We"re gonna need a bigger boat.....
  • Like 3

In other news, the New England Patriots will post their first win of the season, sadly.

Don't be so sure. Knowshon Moreno and Lamar Miller went for about 200 yards with an offensive line playing its first game together. And Peterson's production hasn't been that great over the past year plus, last year ranked about 20th in the league in some of the advanced metrics. Plus the team will rally around their teammate and play with a sense of purpose.

With all my heart, I hope you're right.

• Like 1

In other news, the New England Patriots will post their first win of the season, sadly.

Don't be so sure. Knowshon Moreno and Lamar Miller went for about 200 yards with an offensive line playing its first game together. And Peterson's production hasn't been that great over the past year plus, last year ranked about 20th in the league in some of the advanced metrics. Plus the team will rally around their teammate and play with a sense of purpose.

With all my heart, I hope you're right.

Yeah, me too, I've got the Vikes vs the spread and worth 10 in the confidence pool.

My goodness, look at all the Stockholm Syndrome in here. Getting beat is NOT OK. If you beat your kids like that, you're a monster, pure evil. If your parents did this to you, like mine did to me, it is indefensible. I love my parents, but they were wrong to beat us like they did, leaving welts, and I've told them so.

AP should go to jail.

So, in this instance, you're all for government intervention. At least you are consistent. :eyeroll:

I don't know that it's particularly inconsistent provided you believe this is child abuse. I don't know of anyone libertarian enough who believes that the government should not be involved in clear cases of child abuse.

Well, maybe some big government liberals when the child in question happens to be living in the womb.

I don't know. I just have to avoid these discussions in the future and just go rate albums for the 10th time over. This kind of stuff just drives me nuts. Hopefully this AP thing is the icing on the cake but there must be someone who has done even less that needs strung up by his balls.....

BAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AP should go to jail.

I don't know that it's particularly inconsistent provided you believe this is child abuse. I don't know of anyone libertarian enough who believes that the government should not be involved in clear cases of child abuse.

Well, maybe some big government liberals when the child in question happens to be living in the womb.

I don't know. I just have to avoid these discussions in the future and just go rate albums for the 10th time over. This kind of stuff just drives me nuts. Hopefully this AP thing is the icing on the cake but there must be someone who has done even less that needs strung up by his balls.....

A quick question for the panel unrelated to this discussion. If someone has you on ignore do they "know" if you "like" a post of theirs? Just wondering?...... :huh:

AP should go to jail.

A quick question for the panel unrelated to this discussion. If someone has you on ignore do they "know" if you "like" a post of theirs? Just wondering?...... :huh:

Funny would have been for no one to respond to this, indoicating we all have you on ignore BAHAHAHAAAA!!! But that would be silly cause we all love you man! I dont know, but we could go to SOCN and like a bunch of RRs posts to find out! :)

• Like 1

AP should go to jail.

Funny would have been for no one to respond to this, indoicating we all have you on ignore BAHAHAHAAAA!!! But that would be silly cause we all love you man! I dont know, but we could go to SOCN and like a bunch of RRs posts to find out! :)

That would have been a twilight zone moment for me for sure. I was curious but really just need to let it go. Thanks....

AP should go to jail.

...if you want me to add, "in the world we live in," so be it. In a world without government a private force would have him arrested.

Sorry, not going to back down from defending a child, who had no choice of parents, from getting beaten in that manner. No sir. You have to have some principles in life.

On whose authority would this private force act in a world of anarchy? A group of citizens would gather together and instruct them to do so? How is that different from a mob? And since Peterson has a lot of money, what if he pays them more not to arrest him?

This really illustrates that we all have things we think a disinterested government should do. The question is where you draw the line.

Oh, and so as not to derail the thread or get this moved to SOCN, if you beat your kids badly enough to leave injuries on them, you're a violent criminal and should be prosecuted.

OK, I promised an answer. In a world without government, no one would be born into an imaginary "social contract." Everything would be agreed upon. I think we've talked about this before in SOCN. The enforcement would be private. In a sense, it sort of happens, already, on a lot of things. Regardless of the legality of drugs, the NFL drug tests and there are negative consequences for positive tests for drugs. This is agreed to by the players. The NFL has all sorts of rules to and conduct codes that are enforced by fines, but agreed to by the players.

So, yes, the NFL could make rules regarding how a player parents, if the player wants to make $20 million, or whatever, per year.

AP should go to jail.

OK, I promised an answer. In a world without government, no one would be born into an imaginary "social contract." Everything would be agreed upon. I think we've talked about this before in SOCN. The enforcement would be private. In a sense, it sort of happens, already, on a lot of things. Regardless of the legality of drugs, the NFL drug tests and there are negative consequences for positive tests for drugs. This is agreed to by the players. The NFL has all sorts of rules to and conduct codes that are enforced by fines, but agreed to by the players.

So, yes, the NFL could make rules regarding how a player parents, if the player wants to make $20 million, or whatever, per year.

I am probably in the minority but I will pass on that last paragraph at least....

AP should go to jail.

Ummmm NO!!,

Talk about a slippery slope. They are paying the player for playing the game. Not running family matters. ;)

• Like 1

AP should go to jail.

Ummmm NO!!,

Talk about a slippery slope. They are paying the player for playing the game. Not running family matters. ;)

A slope made of teflon smeared with Crisco....
  • Like 1

AP should go to jail.

Ummmm NO!!,

I feel you, but that's not true, in reality. My company, and your company, have various rules in place, which were stipulated in writing, prior to us taking the job. We agreed to them. YES, some of the rules coincide with government laws, but many do not, such as an attendance standard, a dress and hygiene code, use of drugs, and various safety rules, for example. We were FREE to agree or not to agree to these rules BEFORE we began working for your firms.

You do NOT have the FREEDOM to agree or disagree with government laws.

I don't understand what the hangup is with the concept of freedom.

And, the NFL obviously has a bad image with players committing heinous acts of violence, and has taken action against those other players. The NFL is being consistent. But, because of Stockholm Syndrome, many of yall are being inconsistent.

This is a clear case of child abuse. You cannot objectively prove that it wasn't. And, "because I was beat in the same way" is not an argument.

• Like 1

Just play the game and entertain me. At this point I honestly couldn't give a flying f**k about your personal life. You got 8 kids by 7 different women I don't care. You in trouble with your HOA because your lawn wasn't cut and edged properly last week I don't care. You are gay, straight , bi I don't give a sh*t. You commit a "criminal" act then you go through the due process whatever that is otherwise just play football. I can't remember when it happened and what age I was when I first realized that my hero pro athletes were just "human" like the rest of us. It was a shock but I got over it.....
  • Like 1

You do NOT have the FREEDOM to agree or disagree with government laws.

What we are not free to do is break the Law. We are totally free to agree or disagree with laws. We can love them, hate them, and even curse them. We are still legally required to obey them.

This is a clear case of child abuse. You cannot objectively prove that it wasn't. And, "because I was beat in the same way" is not an argument.

It's clear to you that it is child abuse. It's clear to me that it is child abuse. BUT.....not everyone sees it as child abuse. We do not have a 100% concensus on what constitutes child abuse in this country. I wish that we did. In the past, what Peterson did to his boy was commonplace, and very few parents were arrested for it.

Defining child abuse or any other crime is a matter of concensus. If a large enough majority of voters or legislators agree that a certain act is a crime, then that act is legally defined as a crime. Our collective opinion become law, and everyone - even those who voted against the law - is required to obey those laws. It's definitely not a perfect system, as history has shown quite clearly.

AP should go to jail.

The problem arises with enforcement. And this I know you and I have discussed in SOCN. There are lots of folks on this board that I am reasonably confident that if I hired them to do their jobs for me, doctor, landscaper, plumber, IT services, whatever the case may be, they would do it to the best of their ability. And they can be equally confident I would pay them. What happens if I don't though? Who makes me pay? A private force? Paid by whom?

You said in a world you'd prefer, a private force would arrest Peterson for beating his son bad enough to leave injuries on him. Who would hire them to do that? And what if Peterson pays them more not to? And once they arrest him, what does this private force do with him? Have a private trial for him? Incarcerate him? We both know that money talks, and people can be corrupted by it. We don't want the punishment of criminals to be controlled by money any more than it already is. It can be bad now. It would be worse if it was explicitly for profit.

AP should go to jail.

The problem arises with enforcement. And this I know you and I have discussed in SOCN. There are lots of folks on this board that I am reasonably confident that if I hired them to do their jobs for me, doctor, landscaper, plumber, IT services, whatever the case may be, they would do it to the best of their ability. And they can be equally confident I would pay them. What happens if I don't though? Who makes me pay? A private force? Paid by whom?

You said in a world you'd prefer, a private force would arrest Peterson for beating his son bad enough to leave injuries on him. Who would hire them to do that? And what if Peterson pays them more not to? And once they arrest him, what does this private force do with him? Have a private trial for him? Incarcerate him? We both know that money talks, and people can be corrupted by it. We don't want the punishment of criminals to be controlled by money any more than it already is. It can be bad now. It would be worse if it was explicitly for profit.

All great points, and things that I constantly think about.

And, thanks for actually making arguments, instead of name calling. It is very much appreciated.

So, in your argument your suggesting that $ and profit could prevent justice. But, it's exactly because the NFL HAS $ and is making a lot of PROFIT that they can enforce their rules, rules that both parties agreed to. It's because the NFL cares about its image and doesn't want to be boycotted, that it punishes thuggery.

That is the same for the example that you gave: if you didn't pay someone for a job he/she did, you're going to get a bad rap, or, in today's world, bad reviews online. Look at TripAdvisor, for example. You can tell right away which hotels and restaurants are shitting their customers and which are giving the best value.

If you get bad food at a restaurant, they always make it right. No one ever calls the police. No one has to, because they are trying to keep their reputation.

To jail with this A-Hole child abuser.

And where's the mom in all of this? She didn't notice all the injuries? Why did it take until 10 days later when the pediatrician examined him to notify the cops?

What the hell is wrong with the NFL lately???

Edited by Del_Duio

In the past, what Peterson did to his boy was commonplace, and very few parents were arrested for it.

The hell with that. I got the belt all of twice in the entire 70's but my dad never had a whole friggin' room assigned for beating his kids. I never got a tree branch across the nuts while my mouth was stuffed with leaves. My dad never told me not to talk about the whoopin' with anybody else. And none of this happens with a FOUR YEAR OLD CHILD!

• Like 2