Hating Neil Vs. Just Making Fun Of The Guy

ThatLightInYourEyes

Neil addressed this issue decades ago: "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited-friend."

And yet in the same song he also wrote that one must put aside the alienation.

He seems to have grown out of it though.

Neil addressed this issue decades ago: "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited-friend."

But he also said in the same song "one must put up barriers to keep oneself intact." For example, sprinting to the safety of the tour bus. He's simply trying to keep himself intact.

Edited by antiquark

He probably meant that if you (a fan) feel alienated by him, just push it aside and don't bother him with it.

Or don't complain about how he alienated you...just put it aside.

He had tremendous forsight that the Rush Forum would exist one day and that's all everyone would do is complain about how he doesn't talk to his fans.

He left an obvious clue in one of his most successful songs.

He probably meant that if you (a fan) feel alienated by him, just push it aside and don't bother him with it.

Or don't complain about how he alienated you...just put it aside.

He had tremendous forsight that the Rush Forum would exist one day and that's all everyone would do is complain about how he doesn't talk to his fans.

He left an obvious clue in one of his most successful songs.

Neil is an amalgamation of contrasts. It's amazing that he's in the line of work that he is.

But he also said in the same song "one must put up barriers to keep oneself intact." For example, sprinting to the safety of the tour bus. He's simply trying to keep himself intact.

Poor conflicted bastard. He writes a song about how important it is to man up if you want to be a rock star and then recites his coping mechanisms for failing to do just that.

• Like 3

Neil has shared exponentially more of his thinking than the other two via lyrics and writing. He even does just about as many interviews when they have a new album out. I find it funny that the other two glad-handing with people for 30 minutes or so prior to a show somehow makes people view them as "more accessible".

Neil is far more accessible. He just does it on his own terms. Smart guy.

1000 times.... agree.

Let's face it...

It is not cool to be smart in 'mericuh.

It is not cool to be shy in 'mericuh.

It is not cool to read in 'mericuh.

It is not cool to be able to correctly employ the English language, particularly in written form, in 'mericuh.

It is not cool to be able to quote various philosophers, or reference art, or accurately understand complex social issues in 'mericuh.

This is why bands like Kiss and Nickleback do so well in 'mericuh. This is why the Kardashians are famous in 'mericuh. This is why 'mericun mainstream news feeds lead with things like "Will and Kate are having a second baby!" (which is funny, because they aren't even 'mericun).

And, yes, this is why some people hate on Peart (who is also not 'mericun, but makes most of his money in 'mericuh).

That said, as much as I love Neil... yeah, he deserves a little ribbing at times. We all do.... that's part of being human. And if people pay close enough attention, they would probably realize Neil knows this and makes fun of himself. If there is one thing Rush is known for outside their music, it is their odd, self-depricating humor. But, as the post above suggests, Neil gets the last laugh.

• Like 2

Poor conflicted bastard. He writes a song about how important it is to man up if you want to be a rock star and then recites his coping mechanisms for failing to do just that.

"One must put up barriers to keep oneself intact" could also suggest the reality that living as a famous person means you get all sorts of external pressures to be something you are not (e.g., a gregarious, loudmouth, attention seeking rock star, even though you are the quiet, reserved type?) and that, in order to remain true to yourself, you have to put up emotional and, yes, perhaps physical, barriers.

Here's the thing.... I have a little (key word "little" - as in minimal experience, but experience nonetheless) personal perspective on this kind of thing....I once had a very high profile job. The kind of job where lots of people knew who you were, but you don't necessarily know them. The kind of job where you go out in public and you clearly see people gesturing toward and talking about you. The kind of job where you are just trying to enjoy dinner with your family and people interrupt that moment because they think, because you work in a public role, they should have constant access to you and actually think it is okay to interrupt dinner with your family, or disrupt your attempt to buy groceries, or your workout, etc. Even worse, they think you should be happy about their interruptions and disruptions. It was often an unnerving and miserable experience. I can't imagine what it is like to be truly famous and deal with that everywhere you go. Sure, some celebrities love, even crave, that existence, but I completely understand why so many celebrities get jaded by that lifestyle.

I was fortunate in that I was able to walk away from that life. Sure, you can say I chose that path... and indeed I did. I also accept that it was a consequence of the path. That does not, though, make the behaviors of others fair or right. You can also say that annoying public behavior is a consequence of Neil's fame. And indeed it is. But, really, are we going to ignore the fact that a very large portion of the public behaves poorly, sometimes even dangerously, in the context of celebrities? Likewise, are we going to say that, as a person with own set of basic rights, he doesn't get to control the variables of his interaction with people outside his workplace?

None of us is owed anything by a musician, movie star, or athlete outside their workplace. Period.

Okay... rant over.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 2

He was referring to the worship and pining over from fans. "Put aside that I'm a famous and talented drummer and understand I am not much different from you."

• Like 1

Neil's absolute disdain for his "job" (let alone Rush music and Rush FANS) is exemplified on the Clockwork Angels DVD where he runs as fast as he can away from the stage to his bus before Alex's last chord is even done ringing!

What a d*ck.

And, I'm sure that was staged to a degree...but that makes it even WORSE! Because you KNOW that Neil made it a POINT to show just how fast he gets the hell OUTTA there...because for one he HATES it, and for another he wants to give a CLEAR impression: DON'T TRY TO APPROACH ME BECAUSE I'M OUTTA THIS BITCH BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN BLINK.

...once again, on the road for yet another mid-America hateride.

I disagree and believe you are vastly overstating his hate. Parts of touring he dislikes, for sure; fawning fans and being away from family has to be incredibly hard. The Run For The Bus is certainly a cathartic ritual. He doesn't have to do that. In fact, it's a relatively new thing.

Habits and logistics - it's not him flipping off the fans.

He was referring to the worship and pining over from fans. "Put aside that I'm a famous and talented drummer and understand I am not much different from you."

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111115588/3399431-serious+funny.jpg

Yeah, and then when you treat him like a regular Joe, he's amazed you don't know who he is. Does anyone here remember the blog post he wrote last year when they were touring? The one when something happened to his motocycle, and some locals helped him out. He "rewarded" them by offering them, in repayment for their kindness, tickets to the Rush concert that night, but the locals didn't even know who Rush was, and Neil was beyond amazed.

• Like 1

Yeah, and then when you treat him like a regular Joe, he's amazed you don't know who he is. Does anyone here remember the blog post he wrote last year when they were touring? The one when something happened to his motocycle, and some locals helped him out. He "rewarded" them by offering them, in repayment for their kindness, tickets to the Rush concert that night, but the locals didn't even know who Rush was, and Neil was beyond amazed.

I remember that. I thought at the time what a lame thing to offer them if they weren't fans.

• Like 1

I remember that. I thought at the time what a lame thing to offer them if they weren't fans.

If I remember correctly, he was really upset too.

• Like 1

I think part of the reason Rush have been so successful may be due to the different personalities in the band, of which Neil, to me is the more serious thinking, reclusive one.

I sometimes think of Tony Banks in Genesis, both seem to be very deep thinkers, deep song writers, quite elusive and perfectionists in trying to be the best at what they do. I think in both cases the other members of the bands bring a certain balance. Both these musicians I love immensely, when I was younger I really wanted to meet them.

As I've gotten older I kinda respect their privacy, I think the way they are is fine, they aren't hurting anyone and perhaps the reason they are so brilliant musically / lyrically is due to the way they are wired, a little more introverted than say an Alex Lifeson, a Phil Collins or a Mike Portnoy, but within a band it's the mixture of the personalities that I think makes it work or not work.

When I think of the number of years I have been a pretty average part time drummer and the 34 years I've enjoyed listening to Rush and how much of that has been down to the drumming and lyrics, on the whole Neil has, in my eyes and ears, been nothing short of exceptional.

• Like 1

I think part of the reason Rush have been so successful may be due to the different personalities in the band, of which Neil, to me is the more serious thinking, reclusive one.

I sometimes think of Tony Banks in Genesis, both seem to be very deep thinkers, deep song writers, quite elusive and perfectionists in trying to be the best at what they do. I think in both cases the other members of the bands bring a certain balance. Both these musicians I love immensely, when I was younger I really wanted to meet them.

As I've gotten older I kinda respect their privacy, I think the way they are is fine, they aren't hurting anyone and perhaps the reason they are so brilliant musically / lyrically is due to the way they are wired, a little more introverted than say an Alex Lifeson, a Phil Collins or a Mike Portnoy, but within a band it's the mixture of the personalities that I think makes it work or not work.

When I think of the number of years I have been a pretty average part time drummer and the 34 years I've enjoyed listening to Rush and how much of that has been down to the drumming and lyrics, on the whole Neil has, in my eyes and ears, been nothing short of exceptional.

Well said. :)

I don't believe you are remembering correctly.
  • Like 1

He usually feels loathe to even admit hes in the band.

Then set the record straight.

Now maybe he writes the songs for money instead of for himself...

it's so obvious clockwork angels was written with nothing but dollar signs in mind. with all these songs about...steampunk watchmaker bullshit...filling up the pop charts and dominating every teen's ipod, it was only a matter of time before these old sellouts tried to cash in.

this is a very weird thread.

to lorraine: I don't know and don't care to know what you're talking about, but I definitely know that neil peart was not angry at someone for not knowing his band.

to the guy who posted a big thing about americans being stupid: what?? america hates neil peart? because kim kardashian's baby was on the news...what??

to everyone else: you're all horrible.

Now maybe he writes the songs for money instead of for himself...

it's so obvious clockwork angels was written with nothing but dollar signs in mind. with all these songs about...steampunk watchmaker bullshit...filling up the pop charts and dominating every teen's ipod, it was only a matter of time before these old sellouts tried to cash in.

The steampunk fad wasn't THAT popular. Was it? It was kind of cultish itself.

trust me, man. I'm 19. steampunk was soooo huge with kids when CA dropped, that's why the sellouts in rush wrote about it. for the $$$.

you couldn't go to school last year without hearing jocks and cheerleaders go on and on about how cool steampunk is.

trust me, man. I'm 19. steampunk was soooo huge with kids when CA dropped, that's why the sellouts in rush wrote about it. for the $$$.

you couldn't go to school last year without hearing jocks and cheerleaders go on and on about how cool steampunk is.

Wasn't it initially popular with nerds and the video game/anime crowd?

Chrono Trigger kickstarted the initial popularity of streampunk in my eyes.

Oh. You're 19? Americans are pretty dumb in general. This is the backed-up by evidence. The average American lives a highly superficial consumerist self-absorbed lifestyle. You'll learn. Edited by savagegrace26