Hemispheres VS Clockwork Angels

YYZumbi

51 members have voted

1. 1. Hemispheres VS Clockwork Angels

Actually what struck me initially when starting Clockwork Angels is that the overall sound is somewhat reminiscient of Hemispheres. Not sound quality (I really wish CA had more clarity) but there's a similar feel. Almost like it could have been the next release after Hemispheres.

Clockwork Angels for sure. There is not one song that I dislike. Caravan, Clockwork Angels, Headlong Flight, and The Garden are bona fide classics. As for Hemispheres, side two is good, highlighted by La Villa Strangiato; The Trees is pretty good and Circumstances is okay. But the title track is just unlistenable. Clockwork Angels is far better.
  • Like 1

Clockwork Angels by a mile.

Hemispheres is just not their best work. Overcooked. Vocals are a tad annoying

Clockwork Angels sound quality is not even close to Hemispheres

Songs are what makes CA great...and its got 66 minutes of greatness.

61 minutes; BU2B is anything but great (It's not the message, but the obnoxiousness of the song itself).

It would be interesting to know the ages of the people who prefer CA over Hemispheres. I have a feeling they'd be on the younger side.
  • Like 1

It would be interesting to know the ages of the people who prefer CA over Hemispheres. I have a feeling they'd be on the younger side.

Guilty as charged. :)

• Like 1

I loved Clockwork Angels and even got it on vinyl, but I gotta give it to Hemispheres by a hair. That album is flawless. Clockwork Angels has cruddy production that makes it a little more difficult to listen to. Both are easily top 5 albums for me but Hemispheres wins. And I never thought of changing the order for Hemispheres. Reversing the order sounds like it would make a bit more sense. I gotta try that out tomorrow :D
  • Like 1

I loved Clockwork Angels and even got it on vinyl, but I gotta give it to Hemispheres by a hair. That album is flawless. Clockwork Angels has cruddy production that makes it a little more difficult to listen to. Both are easily top 5 albums for me but Hemispheres wins. And I never thought of changing the order for Hemispheres. Reversing the order sounds like it would make a bit more sense. I gotta try that out tomorrow :D

I think it works better with Circumstances as the second track and The Trees as the third.

1. La Villa

2. Circumstances

3. The Trees

4. Hemispheres

Now that i've woken up to the title track, Hemispheres 1000 times over. Any chance that CA Might have had is obliterated. CA is weakened just a little more to me now

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Bluefox...I am gonna have to grab me some Hemispheres.

I hate being out-Segued!

• Like 1

A better question might be to name some ways that CA is better..?

1. Better songs

The only tune that's absolutely lights out us La Villa. Cygnus has brilliant moments musically, but ultimately too long, with a forgettable guitar solo. Circumstances is a decent song but not great. The Trees is the 2nd best track IMO.

2. Better Vocals

Geddy's voice that record is just lacking nuance. In addition, and we all know this, it's too strained. The Trees is the best effort vocally. On CA Geddy is off the hook awesome in this regard

3. Depth

While Hemispheres offers depth (Hard to deny La Villa & Hemispheres), CA seems endless in terms of imagination and scope. To put it in artistic vernacular—they're painting in the corners.

4. Fresh and new

Sorry. Hemispheres seems to be leftover material, save La Villa, from AFTK. CA sounds like nothing else the band has recorded, yet brings the listener to the familiar—over and over again.

5. More music

I'll quality over quantity anyday. CA is monstrous for 66 minutes

6. Balls

Yes, gonadal integrity resurfaces on CA unlike any record since 2112

1. Better songs

The only tune that's absolutely lights out us La Villa. Cygnus has brilliant moments musically, but ultimately too long, with a forgettable guitar solo. Circumstances is a decent song but not great. The Trees is the 2nd best track IMO.

2. Better Vocals

Geddy's voice that record is just lacking nuance. In addition, and we all know this, it's too strained. The Trees is the best effort vocally. On CA Geddy is off the hook awesome in this regard

3. Depth

While Hemispheres offers depth (Hard to deny La Villa & Hemispheres), CA seems endless in terms of imagination and scope. To put it in artistic vernacular—they're painting in the corners.

4. Fresh and new

Sorry. Hemispheres seems to be leftover material, save La Villa, from AFTK. CA sounds like nothing else the band has recorded, yet brings the listener to the familiar—over and over again.

5. More music

6. Balls

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

7. Better cover art

What man enjoys looking at another dude's butt. Or, looking at some creep in a bowler (with cane) checking out a naked guy's package? CA wins hands down

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

7. Better cover art

What man enjoys looking at another dude's butt. Or, looking at some creep in a bowler (with cane) checking out a naked guy's package? CA wins hands down

Rush really hasn't had many great covers. CA is among the better covers with its simplicity

• Like 1

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

7. Better cover art

Rush really hasn't had many great covers. CA is among the better covers with its simplicity

7 gets a vote of confidence.

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

7. Better cover art

Paging Kenny Lee. Mr. Lee?!? You've got questions and opinions that need to be registered. Mr. Lee? Anyone?

I think it works better with Circumstances as the second track and The Trees as the third.

1. La Villa

2. Circumstances

3. The Trees

4. Hemispheres

But that ruins my AFTK and Hemispheres back-to-back listening parties!

• Like 2

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

7. Better cover art

You make some good points, but the cover art on CA was extremely disappointing for me. The inside artwork is fantastic, but the cover art is just blah.