Hemispheres VS Clockwork Angels

YYZumbi

51 members have voted

1. 1. Hemispheres VS Clockwork Angels

A better question might be to name some ways that CA is better..?

1. Better songs

The only tune that's absolutely lights out us La Villa. Cygnus has brilliant moments musically, but ultimately too long, with a forgettable guitar solo. Circumstances is a decent song but not great. The Trees is the 2nd best track IMO.

2. Better Vocals

Geddy's voice that record is just lacking nuance. In addition, and we all know this, it's too strained. The Trees is the best effort vocally. On CA Geddy is off the hook awesome in this regard

3. Depth

While Hemispheres offers depth (Hard to deny La Villa & Hemispheres), CA seems endless in terms of imagination and scope. To put it in artistic vernacular—they're painting in the corners.

4. Fresh and new

Sorry. Hemispheres seems to be leftover material, save La Villa, from AFTK. CA sounds like nothing else the band has recorded, yet brings the listener to the familiar—over and over again.

5. More music

I'll quality over quantity anyday. CA is monstrous for 66 minutes

6. Balls

Yes, gonadal integrity resurfaces on CA unlike any record since 2112

7. Better cover art

What man enjoys looking at another dude's butt. Or, looking at some creep in a bowler (with cane) checking out a naked guy's package? CA wins hands down

You make some good points, but the cover art on CA was extremely disappointing for me. The inside artwork is fantastic, but the cover art is just blah.

IMO the cover art is alright, better than 2112, Hemispheres, and Counterparts (yes, even the cover art is bad). Still not as good as AFTK or even T4E though.

6. Balls

7. Better cover art

What man enjoys looking at another dude's butt. Or, looking at some creep in a bowler (with cane) checking out a naked guy's package? CA wins hands down

If the naked guy on the cover was facing the other way, then you could argue that Hemispheres would have too much balls ;)
  • Like 3

1. Better songs

The only tune that's absolutely lights out us La Villa. Cygnus has brilliant moments musically, but ultimately too long, with a forgettable guitar solo. Circumstances is a decent song but not great. The Trees is the 2nd best track IMO.

2. Better Vocals

Geddy's voice that record is just lacking nuance. In addition, and we all know this, it's too strained. The Trees is the best effort vocally. On CA Geddy is off the hook awesome in this regard

3. Depth

While Hemispheres offers depth (Hard to deny La Villa & Hemispheres), CA seems endless in terms of imagination and scope. To put it in artistic vernacular—they're painting in the corners.

4. Fresh and new

Sorry. Hemispheres seems to be leftover material, save La Villa, from AFTK. CA sounds like nothing else the band has recorded, yet brings the listener to the familiar—over and over again.

5. More music

6. Balls

7. Better cover art

Paging Kenny Lee. Mr. Lee?!? You've got questions and opinions that need to be registered. Mr. Lee? Anyone?

http://38.media.tumblr.com/eba0df6b9ebbdeac4b2cfd46a04b6b6e/tumblr_n5kh14JNjE1smcbm7o1_400.gif

But seriouslee, let me work on a response.

• Like 1

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

1. Clockwork Angels is not nearly as good an album as people think. The melodies on the album are seriouslee lacking. Outside of 2 or 3 tracks I can honestly say that the song writing is sub par. Hemispheres too long? Go pick up a Ramones album. Too long. Sheesh

2. Better vocals is ridiculous. Geddy was in his prime and absolutely killed himself to give you those vocals and they are glorious. He shredded his chords and hurt his range. That is what the vocals on CA are.

3. They painted everywhere. There's a wall of paint so thick you can't see the colors, to use your analogy. No space or room to breathe in CA which was something that always made Rush special.

4. Hemispheres is not new. Classic but not new. We agree.

5. Times they are a changing. I'm not going to hold it against a band to put out an album that fits on... well... an album. They did not have the vision to invent a larger record that could hold as much as a CD. Once again, we agree.

6. Now here we are not agreeing again. Balls? CA has more balls than Hemispheres? You are on crack and you should never do a drug named after part of your ass. (Good advice). There is some strong playing on CA and Geddy somehow keeps getting better but you cannot really believe that CA has more balls. Can you? :blink:

7. I'm adding #7. Melody. There is a novel concept. There are gorgeous melodies on Hemispheres and CA is this close to a William Shatner album. Even Geddy's bass (and he really is getting better) has lost its melodic feel. Aggressive and tight but not pretty at the same time like Hemispheres. The musicianship blows away CA.

We can talk about opinions and what you like or prefer all day but please do not tell me that CA is better than Hemispheres.

• Like 3

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

1. Clockwork Angels is not nearly as good an album as people think. The melodies on the album are seriouslee lacking. Outside of 2 or 3 tracks I can honestly say that the song writing is sub par. Hemispheres too long? Go pick up a Ramones album. Too long. Sheesh

2. Better vocals is ridiculous. Geddy was in his prime and absolutely killed himself to give you those vocals and they are glorious. He shredded his chords and hurt his range. That is what the vocals on CA are.

3. They painted everywhere. There's a wall of paint so thick you can't see the colors, to use your analogy. No space or room to breathe in CA which was something that always made Rush special.

5. Times they are a changing. I'm not going to hold it against a band to put out an album that fits on... well... an album. They did not have the vision to invent a larger record that could hold as much as a CD. Once again, we agree.

6. Now here we are not agreeing again. Balls? CA has more balls than Hemispheres? You are on crack and you should never do a drug named after part of your ass. (Good advice). There is some strong playing on CA and Geddy somehow keeps getting better but you cannot really believe that CA has more balls. Can you? :blink:

7. I'm adding #7. Melody. There is a novel concept. There are gorgeous melodies on Hemispheres and CA is this close to a William Shatner album. Even Geddy's bass (and he really is getting better) has lost its melodic feel. Aggressive and tight but not pretty at the same time like Hemispheres. The musicianship blows away CA.

We can talk about opinions and what you like or prefer all day but please do not tell me that CA is better than Hemispheres.

Your issues run deep young padawan

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

7. Better cover art

You make some good points, but the cover art on CA was extremely disappointing for me. The inside artwork is fantastic, but the cover art is just blah.

IMO the cover art is alright, better than 2112, Hemispheres, and Counterparts (yes, even the cover art is bad). Still not as good as AFTK or even T4E though.

How the f**k is the CA artwork better than 2112? It's red clouds with a clock on it Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

7. Better cover art

How the f**k is the CA artwork better than 2112? It's red clouds with a clock on it

I always thought the cover art to 2112 was a bit... Simplistic, that's all.

I had a dream last night, and oracle came and spoke to me, and this is what she said.

"I have memory and awareness

But I have no shape or form

As a disembodied spirit

I am dead and yet unborn

I have passed into Olympus

As was told in tales of old

To the city of Immortals

Marble white and purest gold...

I see the gods in battle rage on high...

Thunderbolts across the sky...

Hemispheres beats the piss out of Clockwork Angels"

Edited by tx_rush
  • Like 3

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

7. Better cover art

How the f**k is the CA artwork better than 2112? It's red clouds with a clock on it

Oh yeah, the CA art is just loaded with complexity. I will admit that the inside cover art of CA is cool, but the cover is pretty lame Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

7. Better cover art

Oh yeah, the CA art is just loaded with complexity. I will admit that the inside cover art of CA is cool, but the cover is pretty lame

Didn't say CA was complex, just that it looks better to me. There are really only 5 Rush album covers that I don't like, but CA and 2112 are both in this category...

I had a dream last night, and oracle came and spoke to me, and this is what she said.

"I have memory and awareness

But I have no shape or form

As a disembodied spirit

I am dead and yet unborn

I have passed into Olympus

As was told in tales of old

To the city of Immortals

Marble white and purest gold...

I see the gods in battle rage on high...

Thunderbolts across the sky...

Hemispheres beats the piss out of Clockwork Angels"

Tex, that's my favorite part of the song. Absolutely love it!!

• Like 3

Better vocals is ridiculous. Geddy was in his prime and absolutely killed himself to give you those vocals and they are glorious. He shredded his chords and hurt his range. That is what the vocals on CA are.

They are glorious, and you are right about the rest as well.

• Like 1

You talk about Vocals. I thought CA was the first album in which they couldn't mask in the studio how much Ged is losing. Normally they'd been able to mask it......not here.

Mick

That is why there is such a "wall of sound" on the album.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

1. Debatable. I mean i suppose you at have at least 3 classics

CA

Headlong Flight

The Anarchist

the rest is ok to filler, IMO

2. I.....just.......you're.....sigh.....ok

3. I'm sure there is depth. but it's buried beneath the most inexplicably bad production. When they clean it up i'll get back to you.

4. How is it new. It's sounds like Rush does Foo Fighters.....that's thanks to Nick though.

5. this is subjective. It's a major drawback to me. I don't have time for 66 mins unless you've got A1 material. Which Sorry they did not.

6. Yes they had the balls to release an album that sounded like shit.

all respectfully IMO of course.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

1. Better songs

2. Better Vocals

3. Depth

4. Fresh and new

5. More music

6. Balls

AGREED AGREED AGREED AGREED!

For the first time ever, CA has dropped out of my list of Top Ten Rush albums.

• Like 2

You talk about Vocals. I thought CA was the first album in which they couldn't mask in the studio how much Ged is losing. Normally they'd been able to mask it......not here.

Mick

That's nuts, whatever though. Ged actually sings on CA, on Hemispheres he's not comfortable and they knew it

Mick

That's nuts, whatever though. Ged actually sings on CA, on Hemispheres he's not comfortable and they knew it

Please Ged sounds like he's got marbles stuffed in there. and he kinda yodels. I'll take screechy ged where i can understand every lyric any day.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Mick

He may not have been comfortable, but he had a better range to push to the limits. Good grief, if he tried to do what he accomplished with Hems today...we would be either in hysterical stitches, or looking to Britney Spears demo recordings for musical fulfillment. Seriously, I enjoy his vocals on CA, but you can tell he had to be very strict, not because he is disiplined, but because his voice is lacking that fantastic range he had when he was younger.

I know you love CA, but you need to respect the fact that others make valid arguments against your case!

And can I just say that shockingly Hemispheres is once again a top five record. Mind blown! That title track...I have no idea how but I just did a Bluefox!

• Like 3

Mick

He may not have been comfortable, but he had a better range to push to the limits. Good grief, if he tried to do what he accomplished with Hems today...we would be either in hysterical stitches, or looking to Britney Spears demo recordings for musical fulfillment. Seriously, I enjoy his vocals on CA, but you can tell he had to be very strict, not because he is disiplined, but because his voice is lacking that fantastic range he had when he was younger.

I know you love CA, but you need to respect the fact that others make valid arguments against your case!

And can I just say that shockingly Hemispheres is once again a top five record. Mind blown! That title track...I have no idea how but I just did a Bluefox!

It's glorious isn't it.

How we were so stupid i'll never know.

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

It's glorious isn't it.

How we were so stupid i'll never know.

Mick

Well...at least we were right about Presto...

• Like 1