Segue Myles

As i said 'throw me to the wolves'but as i said i can't help it.I play it heaps.Yes,Neurotica,whatica,rotica,that was a goose of a lyric,but i got over it.Face Up has a killer solo.You bet Your Life i didn't like at first but it really is a grower.When i first heard the rap on RTB i went WTF but i soon warmed to it,and i hate rap.And when i bought my new stereo ,Where's My Thing was the first track i blasted out on it,one of their best instrumentals,up there with YYZ.All right i will keep quiet or i might get slaughtered.I am just an old bugger who doesn't know any better :codger: . Edited by grasbo
  • Like 1

I like the songs presto and the pass live. This album has the problem of being full of filler AND sounding like shit. It has the opposite problem of vapor trails. They sound truly bored on this album. It's amazing that a band as good as rush has released two of the worst sounding albums I have ever heard but it's true.

As far as steely dan goes, they can venture into lounge act territory from time to time but I love most of their stuff and they picked some of the best guest musicians to appear on their albums. Just yesterday I was listening to the Donald fagen classic solo album the nightfly. If you don't know it, it's full of songs you probably think are Steely dan hits.

I admit... this sounds weird and proabably doesn't make any sense to many, but to me the "thin" sound on Presto is what makes the album so unique.

All songs are "connected" to eachother in a strange kind of way.

It's almost like a concept album like Tommy or The Wall. And it has really exciting mix of different music styles and time signatures... funk, jazz, prog, metal, etc. If Rush has one album that has to be called "smart" and "intelligent" it's definitely Presto. But hey... we all experience music differently.

And it has really exciting mix of different music styles and time signatures... funk, jazz, prog, metal, etc.

I completely agree with this. I think it's one the bands most diverse albums stylistically. That's why I can't understand how a certain member here thinks all the songs sound the same...even the first time I listened to it I recall being impressed with all of the musical variety.

Apologies to Steely Dan fans,i do like some of their music especially if i am in a 'relaxing mood'.Just their arrogance got me going.

Yes the dvd version of Presto is brilliant (minus the little flaw).

Best Rush studio album. Period.

A masterpiece. Pure genius. Perfection.

PS: Forgot to say that I love Presto. :)

You deserve love.

But there best studio recording? Well, each to their own...I love Presto but...well...

Presto divides Rush fans probably more than any other album.

I think it proves that some people simply don't "get" it. I don't mean that they're "limited" or anything. Maybe they just haven't smoked enough weed. :D

It's like King Crimson... many people think it's just annoying noise, some understand the appeal and intelligence of song like Starless.

• Like 1

I think it proves that some people simply don't "get" it. I don't mean that they're "limited" or anything. Maybe they just haven't smoked enough weed. :D

It's like King Crimson... many people think it's just annoying noise, some understand the appeal and intelligence of song like Starless.

I don't smoke weed.

i love Roll the Bones heaps more.

Roll the Bones was a HUGE disappointment after the intelligent, demanding masterpiece that is Presto. Only a few good tracks in RTB... and junk like Face Up, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life.

How can Superconductor be great, and Neurotica be junk? Neurotica is like Superconductor 2.0! :D Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

Roll the Bones was a HUGE disappointment after the intelligent, demanding masterpiece that is Presto. Only a few good tracks in RTB... and junk like Face Up, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life.

How can Superconductor be great, and Neurotica be junk?

I don't know how. It just is. :D

Superconductor MTV video sucks the big green donkey dick of the universe... but the song is actually GREAT.

• Like 1

How can Superconductor be great, and Neurotica be junk?

I don't know how. It just is. :D

Superconductor MTV video sucks the big green donkey dick of the universe... but the song is actually GREAT.

I'm with you there, it's a fantastic tune. Great drumming, I love Neil's drum sound on Presto in general. I even like Rupert's backing vocals haha Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

No it doesn't! (Says he, with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek).

Actually, I think that distinction belongs to Vapor Trails. But that's just one guy's opinion.

I still love Presto.

Here's a goog gig from the Presto tour.

Alpine Valley Music Theater, East Troy, Wisconsin,

June 17, 1990

Listen to those Presto songs live... they sound a bit different.

Intro

Force Ten

Freewill

Distant Early Warning

Time Stand Still

Subdivisions

Marathon

Red Barchetta

Superconductor

Show Don't Tell

The Pass

Closer To The Heart

Manhattan Project

Xanadu

YYZ

Drum Solo

Scars

War Paint

Mission

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit Of Radio

2112: Overture

La Villa Strangiato

In The Mood

Pipeline / Jazz Bass Outro

Ok, I have noticed a trend with this album: you either love or hate this...very little in the way of a middle ground...

Don't love or hate it...few gems on it, same ranking as HYF and PoW pretty much :huh:

PoW and HYF are masterpieces. Like, perfect.

Ok, I have noticed a trend with this album: you either love or hate this...very little in the way of a middle ground...

Don't love or hate it...few gems on it, same ranking as HYF and PoW pretty much :huh:

Yes. So is Presto.

All three are 10 out of 10 albums.

Up there with Floyd's The Wall, Crimson's Red, Yes CttE, Led Zep's HotH & IV in my personal category. Perfect music.

• Like 2

Red Tide must be the most underrated masterpiece ever. I mean... how can you NOT like this?

Amazing lyrics, amazing drums, amazing guitar.... crazy, wild occasional jazz/funk elements, etc.

Set the volume up and LISTEN! Perfection.

Edited by Detonator
  • Like 2

For me...Presto is precisely "middle ground" for me.

Some real gems...specifically Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, Scars, Presto, Red Tide, and Available Light.

My issue is more with the production / sound...it is just so..."weak"?! It feels too thin, and feels like it lacks the punch of an album like Counterparts or Power Windows.

It upsets me, as I think it could've really made these songs sound that much more powerful and special.

Regardless, I still think it's a great album with plenty to really love...thin sound or not. :yes:

• Like 1

Yes. So is Presto.

All three are 10 out of 10 albums.

Up there with Floyd's The Wall, Crimson's Red, Yes CttE, Led Zep's HotH & IV in my personal category. Perfect music.

No.

• Like 3