Was it worth it?

lachrymal

I've always known that Geddy's parents were Holocaust survivors. Recently, I learned that they actually met in the concentration camp. They were even separated at one point, but through some miracle of human perserverance they were able to reunite and create a life together. The story is as poignant as it is tragic; and I couldn't help but be moved almost to tears. I got to thinking: without the holocaust, without the most awful and despicable event in modern human history, there would be no Geddy Lee, there would be no Rush. So, it begs the question, was it worth it??

So, it begs the question, was it worth it??

Was WHAT "worth it"? The Holocaust? Are you suggesting that we should be "thankful" for the Holocaust because it helped bring about the birth of Geddy Lee? :eh:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

So, it begs the question, was it worth it??

Was WHAT "worth it"? The Holocaust? Are you're suggesting that we should be "thankful" for the Holocaust because it helped bring about the birth of Geddy Lee? :eh:

Agreed. It was a horrible, horrible tragedy, and as much as I love Rush, it was NOT "worth it" in any way. :facepalm:

I'm not sure (and I hope not) that anyone would say the Holocaust was worth it such that Rush existed. ~11 million people dead with all the psychological and emotional trauma that followed for a progressive hard rock band to exist?

No. Not worth it.

lachrymal I'm sure you're a good guy and I mean no animosity towards you, but this thread made me cringe.

• Like 6

Yeah, this kind of question feels touchy, something for the SOCN forum. Here is the way I look at it, NO! all the death that the holocaust caused was terrible, and though Rush is a good coming from a bad situation, that does not get rid of the existence of the bad situation. Also think of this, if the Holocaust did not happen, millions of people would have lived, and from them many more songs could have been made, that could have come close, or even better, surpassed the quality of Rush. We will never know though, that's the past, lets know it, so we don't repeat it, to make a better tomorrow, today :)
  • Like 1

So.... two votes for "no"?

You get my vote for Worst Post Of The Year.

• Like 3

It's obviously tongue in cheek, I think you're taking it a little seriously

"it", as in the Holocaust?

:popcorn:

• Like 1

No! "It" as in this thread

No! "It" as in this thread

;)

Obvious to you, perhaps. I saw nothing of the sort.

Please, enlighten us further on how it's OK to make tongue-in-cheek comments about the Holocaust.

The Holocaust directly affected my father and his family. This thread is offensive.
  • Like 4

I've always known that Geddy's parents were Holocaust survivors. Recently, I learned that they actually met in the concentration camp. They were even separated at one point, but through some miracle of human perserverance they were able to reunite and create a life together. The story is as poignant as it is tragic; and I couldn't help but be moved almost to tears. I got to thinking: without the holocaust, without the most awful and despicable event in modern human history, there would be no Geddy Lee, there would be no Rush. So, it begs the question, was it worth it??

Woah. If you were trying to make some sort of clever post, you thought wrong.

This thread needs to be closed and deleted if possible. What a stupid and offensive question. I'm shocked anyone even thought of this, let alone though it was an appropriate post to make. Disturbing. I don't care if anyone thinks my comment is "an overreaction" or not. Some of us have a personal connection to the holocaust and don't need to explain our thoughts on this.
  • Like 8

This thread needs to be closed and deleted if possible. What a stupid and offensive question. I'm shocked anyone even thought of this, let alone though it was an appropriate post to make. Disturbing. I don't care if anyone thinks my comment is "an overreaction" or not. Some of us have a personal connection to the holocaust and don't need to explain our thoughts on this.

:goodone:

Yeah. If you made a comment like "Geddy's parents met in a concentration camp.........sometimes something good will come from something terrible" that would be fine. The comment was very dumb, an insensitive
  • Like 2

This is sad. Just read the OP outloud. Someone actually thinks this was a good idea to post

Sometimes, there are "what if" questions that pop into our heads that aren't meant to be asked out loud. This is one of them.

• Like 6